Author Topic: Smelt Jigs and Rigs  (Read 1863 times)

Offline minger1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smelt Jigs and Rigs
« on: Nov 17, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Hey all wanted to give the smelt shacks a try this year just had a few questions. I am looking into making my own rigs. Something with 3 jigs/hooks on each. Would something like this work in glow http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/new_07fluflu.html Also what size jigs are guys using? Thanks in advance

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Smelt Jigs and Rigs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Are you thinking of using then on the bottom or as dropper/spreader hooks...might work on the bottom...I use Halis and Swedish Pimples with good success.

I use these as my spreader hooks. #6 baithooks. I slide a string style bobber stop onto the line. Then take the line through eye of hook and back through the same way.Wrap line around shank 2 or 3 times then slide bobber stop over shank, slide it off plastic tube, tighten and trim. Repeat with 2 to 3 more hooks. Lot easier for me than tying and keeps hook nice and horizontal...no slippage either.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline minger1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:43 PM »
That may work just looking to basically make a rig with a weight on the bottom and two jigs tied on that would be in the horizontal position. Thanks

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2011, 06:54 PM »
The typical stainless spreaders with 14 or smaller jigs work.  I usually just run a single jig when the action is fast.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.