Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: IGL  (Read 16331 times)

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
IGL
« on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:04 PM »
I am wondering what the iowa great lakes are doing right now...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: IGL
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Whitecapping with the wind....

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:05 PM »
omg.... not good

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:24 PM »
Normal, guessing 10 days we'll have good ice for the crowds, till then............

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:45 PM »
GAAAAH!!! the tension is killing meeeeee  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:     :P

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Fished upper gar, templar, the grade, and anglers all had fishable ice. Caught a few fish too  ;)

Offline vexaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2010, 07:42 PM »
White caps to fishable ice in 2 days??????

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:08 PM »
West is still wide open and capping at the moment. Limited ice where there is/was some. And some of us locals like a few days with the lakes to ourselves before the out of towners start flocking in and camping on top of you.

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:53 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. When it froze it froze quick. When I heard there were guys on Anglers I called bull, Big Spirit had 3 footers crashing against the shore a couple days ago for crying out loud.................w ell I was wrong.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:03 AM »
Do you know about how far out on anglers the fishable ice is? Looking at getting out on Friday or Saturday sometime.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:14 PM »
I think I need quad ice for Anglers.  :-)   There are some ponds here (NE) that are fishable....a good 3" of clear ice.  I would imagine Anglers will have at least that tomorrow and the weekend should be golden for foot traffic.  Wouldn't dream of taking anything with a motor out there for a while...other than an auger.  Geese tend to make some pretty big voids in that bay...went from 8" to 4" in a spot about 500 yards NW of Hales ramp 2 years ago.  Needless to say, I would use caution (extreme) on any ice right now after this dusting of snow.  Geese, currents, springs, blow-outs, parque'd stuff...all present hazards.  Worst part of this stuff is it goes from 5" at the ramp to 2" in about one step in those rare spots.  I would def. fish with a partner and/or look for exsisting tracks...not that I would follow footsteps in the snow as a "safe route".  Just drill often and be prepared I guess.  But...the little pockets in those weed beds are really good this time of year if you don't get complacent with 7" perch and little eyes and set up camp.  Move around a lot.   I caught a 8" pumpkinseed (green sunfish) there last year.  Prettiest fish I ever caught through the ice for sure.  Good luck...keep the poles in the holes.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Boji you are still alive  LOL We need to get out this year buddy.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Indeed my hillybilly dlx trailer lovin ice dwellin brotha!  I should be up weekend after next.  I figure someone will drop a rig through on Saturday and cull out the crowd.  LOL.  I'm going to take off a couple days doing some gear runs before I head to ND.  If you got some time off, I'll try and get some weekday stuff worked out with you.  Need to get some stuff dialed in.  Vex battery wasn't benching what it did...replacement on the way.  After a winch cable and some trailer light work, other wrench fun, I'll be rollibudduen.  I've heard some good things from my buddies doing the fall smallie thing.  Lookin forward to some weed bed and rock pile pounding.  My back finally healed and I turned 40.  Now or never my man.  Poles in the holes.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:43 PM »
I'm getting to thepoint I can't remeber 40 LOL. weekdays are tough for me boss thinks I need to work lol We'll figure something out...

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Fossils on ice?   Antique week?  We can call it what we want old man.  You need to call the AARP about age descrimination or something man.  Why is it coffee is cheaper at McDonalds when you show the cards but wax worms are the same price at Stans?  Have these people even seen Grumpy Old Men??  LOL....

We'll get something hooked up.  I need to burn some days off so...I'll be up.

Offline Iowan55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:18 PM »
And some of us locals like a few days with the lakes to ourselves before the out of towners start flocking in and camping on top of you.

How far away can you live before you become an "out of towner" ?
Just a simple fisherman

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:03 PM »
I'd say 25 mile radius   ;D  I could be mean and say anyone living farther away than my house so 5 miles LOL  Ok I'll be mean....

Offline Perkeyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:19 PM »
What forms of ID do you need to get on that public water for this exclusive local resident season??

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:40 PM »
LOL...I don't know what I like best....fishing my favorite spots on Big Spirit and crabbing about shanty towns and poor ramp etiquette...or going to Upper Red, Mille Lacs, Waubay, or Lewis and Clark and heading with an off road pallet jack full of fish to cleaning house then giving the locals some waypoints to the nearest sewage lagoon.  In any event, the only part that makes me mad about "out of towners" is their terrible parking and trash tossing.  I certainly do enjoy the fact that "there really arent any good walleye bites on Big Spirit" and "we didn't ice any eyes over 12""  LMFAO....where are these people fishing?  Oh yeah...right around the other 150 huts in a 1/4 mile square between cottonwood and B Stony.   Nice spot...if you like perch.  I iced fish over 25" and my bro added a 23"....then we decided 2 hours was enough since we got there around 4.  That's why I like to quad out between summer places on the shorelines....no tracks.  Quickest way to end a bite is get more than 2 huts near it.  I live in NE and have for 20 years...worked here FT for 17 of them.  Still have a longer time on the clock if Spirit had one.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:02 PM »
Tell ya what perky me and 20 friends will come down to Meadow when the bite heats up, then you'll understand our frustration. Boji covered most of it, I'll consider him a local since he grew up here. by Sunday afternoon the ice is trashed wit green bombs, beer cans and other misc garbage, granted not all out of towners but alot of it is. Whats fun is setting up decoy shacks, 2 bring 3 that brings 5 that brings 10 more, 25 trucks in one spot most sharing plates from countys nmot bordering ours or even 2 states away. Fun part is first 2 decoy shacks were just randomly placed and in dead water.   Same happens in the summer, someone see's you catch a fish and they follow you around all day or weekend, when you load out at the end of the day they may be from 100 miles away.

BTW I have fished meadow so not buying into theres noting there....

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:42 PM »
The trash is the only thing that bothers me. The rest you cant do anything about. I am not from with in 5 miles of IGL but i consider it my local lake. If you had to be within 5 miles of a lake in Iowa to be considered a local, there wouldn't be very many locals in Iowa.

Offline Perkeyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2010, 05:39 AM »
Tell ya what perky me and 20 friends will come down to Meadow when the bite heats up, then you'll understand our frustration. Boji covered most of it, I'll consider him a local since he grew up here. by Sunday afternoon the ice is trashed wit green bombs, beer cans and other misc garbage, granted not all out of towners but alot of it is. Whats fun is setting up decoy shacks, 2 bring 3 that brings 5 that brings 10 more, 25 trucks in one spot most sharing plates from countys nmot bordering ours or even 2 states away. Fun part is first 2 decoy shacks were just randomly placed and in dead water.   Same happens in the summer, someone see's you catch a fish and they follow you around all day or weekend, when you load out at the end of the day they may be from 100 miles away.

BTW I have fished meadow so not buying into theres noting there....

I can see your point on the trash I haven't seen that side of it. I stand corrected on that, I don't get the mass of dirt bags trashing it up. Perkeyone

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:33 AM »
Gee wish i had Iowas best fishery in my backyard, I get where your comin from if people are following you around and such. And the Decoy shacks is pretty funny. But round here where Im at You gotta be a hardwater Nomad to have a good weekend

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:20 PM »
Just got all my stuff ready. Now I have to watch the clock tic till sat. morning.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:32 PM »
Gee wish i had Iowas best fishery in my backyard, I get where your comin from if people are following you around and such. And the Decoy shacks is pretty funny. But round here where Im at You gotta be a hardwater Nomad to have a good weekend

Look for the  Black Cabelas 6'  by 5' black pole shack between Cotton Wood and the main basin.  Will have a cooler, some propane, maybe a stove and couple chairs.  Storage unit.  But if you can get it next to a couple other early risers, it's like fly paper.  It's a long drive to some of the rock piles and (most important) sand and muck to rock transitions...but it keeps people off my tow bar most times.   So subtle to us...so important to cruising eyes.  :-)

Hint - If you take your fish to Stans or Shucks to have them cleaned (which I love to do)...always put on a diff. coat and never ever take your own rig there with a pail of fish during peak hours.

Offline nute7810

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • OFFICIAL LURKER.....of the Bikini Ice Fishing Team
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:47 PM »

Hint - If you take your fish to Stans or Shucks to have them cleaned (which I love to do)...always put on a diff. coat and never ever take your own rig there with a pail of fish during peak hours.
[/quote]   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: LMFAO

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Hint-Save the trouble and buy an electric knife and clean them yourself. Good point though.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:09 PM »
 Yea don't tell the baitshops anything... I need to buy a blue shack (  :(  :'( ) so I can blend better. Boji not sure yet when Spirit will be ready for your super quad, I'll be using the sled alot myself this year if I'm up there, hoping West caps soon so I can hide there out of the way of all the traffic.....

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:16 PM »
Just herd snow for friday. Hopefully we dont get too much. Dont need a repeat of last year.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Thats why I bought a sled   ;D With deer opener and the ice show this weekend hopefully the crowds are down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.