Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Spirit Lake Access  (Read 2017 times)

Offline A.France

• IceShanty Rookie
Spirit Lake Access
« on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:55 AM »
I am headed up to Spirit Lake for a little ice fishing this weekend. I was wondering how the access with a truck was on the lake and if there are any slush pockets or thin ice i should be aware of. Thank you for the input.

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spirit Lake Access
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2010, 11:02 AM »
I was up there last weekend. Only two place you could get on with a truck at is Marble beach and Buffalo Run and both paths head to the same area. If you stay on the trails you should be ok if not be prepared to dig your self out. My advice to you is park you car on the path and walk as far as you can away from the crowd.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2010, 02:43 PM »
how is the bite? Are the pearch picking up

Offline Steve B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2010, 03:00 PM »
 My advice is to NOT park on the trail! As you are driving down the trail you will notice many areas where the snow is not as deep or is hard packed. What you want to do is find an area like this near the spot you plan on fishing and pull off of the trail there. Common courtesy would be to not block the trail.

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • spent most my life fishn rest have been wasted
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2010, 03:11 PM »
Ya dont park on the road bring a shovel when you find a spot to fish shovel your self a place to park off the road or just pull off then if stuck shovel yourself out dont block the roads :tipup:

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2010, 04:30 PM »
I wasn't meaning right on the trail, there are spots all over to pull right off of the main trail.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2010, 08:48 AM »
can drive around fairly easily just be prepared to dig out. 2 guys friday fished from 830 to 2 caught 66 perch and kept our 50.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2010, 09:13 AM »
How many of the limit was over 10"

Offline jiggin4jumbos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2010, 06:03 PM »
yeah really I saw a bucket of about 50 or so from spirit today at shucks. of the 50 maybe 10-12 that were over 10" most were 7-9" some were even smaller than that?

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2010, 04:18 AM »
What part of the lake are people setting up on?

Offline Icegypsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Spirit 20 ft. flat in the middle
I saw 100 fish or more on my camera and was in the thick of them and only cuaght 3.  Very very finicky bite this last last Wed. late afternoon into evening could have been weather.  Multiple jig presentatios and waxies.  They woudl chase it up on the vex and then stare..very frustrating..   

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Has the rain and warmish weather hurt the accesses at all on spirit?   Can you still drive on ok at marble or buffalo run?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Little rutted on West today but there seemed to be no issues with the trucks getting on, but most stayed in the tracks or close to it. I used my sled so I wasn't bound to the roads. Snow was melting and sticky when I came off at 5.

Offline jiggin4jumbos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Yeah plenty of trucks on west today, the "ice team" had guys all over the lake. I bet they had at least twenty out on emerson plus more on millers. Trucks, ATV's w/tracks, and sleds those guys mean business out there. I'm stuck dragging out from shore, not bad in the morning but coming off after the rain softened up the snow was tough. Weather keeps up shouldn't have snow much longer.

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Anybody know if a lot of water is on the ice?  In Emmetsburg we got a lot of rain yesturday and sounds like it is suppose to rain Tuesday through Friday (of course the days I want to hit up the lakes for some fishing).  What do you do when water is on the ice?  Do you have any tricks for setting up the portable on the ice?
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:38 AM »
Not alot of water when I left Millers yesterday ( Saturday) Snow soaked up most of it, pulling by hand will be fun.

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:56 PM »
Yes the snow did soak up all the rain.  Really soft and yes it was a bear to pull a shack and sled through by hand.  It was getting real close to the slush stage.  We have a slush scoop with measurements on it, we were anywhere from 22-26 inches with 4 inches of that cloudy ice on the top. With all the snowpack we were at the limit of our jiffy, could have scooped the snow and gone deeper.  The access at Buffalo looked pretty rough, lots of standing water on top of the ice in the tire tracks, marble beach didn't look as bad, looked like people were driving around the standing water and making a new path at the access.  Couldn't see if anyone had driven out today, FOGGY was the word for the day couldn't see much past 150-200 yards I would guess.  We walked out at templars I don't think that has too many days before the outlet there opens up, already started on the edges there.  Worked quite a ways out drilling holes and only marked one fish.  This afternoon walked out from the spillway boat ramp kept marking fish, but couldn't get them to bite til a little after 5:00.  2 guys total of 5 fish.  The access ther was getting pretty chewed up also.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Buddy said the same about his Jiffy about almost not making it. Glad my Nils has a 48" bit.

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • spent most my life fishn rest have been wasted
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Thinking of heading up to spirit for one last outing  kids are on springbreak for some perch mon,or tues can you still get out on and anyone  catch fish this weekend ,wheres the best place to walk out from now? :icefish:

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2010, 02:23 PM »
They are still driving trucks on at Marble and Anglers. Fishing was slow but we got a few out in the basin, lots of holes drilled to find them though. Dragging a shack by hand will be a big chore, 2-10" of water in spots with slush everywhere else. Knee boots at least recomended.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.