Re: Badger
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:59 AM »
that's a relief
Hard charger !

Offline icey kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2009, 06:49 PM »
There looked to be a little skim but some open spots all throughout the middle but around shore there was a good solid inch pry a little more then that.

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Anyone been around Badger today? 

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2009, 12:20 PM »
I heard the shad problem was so bad out there they were talking about draining it and starting over.

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:32 PM »
2.5" of ice, still will need a few days.  This was milky ice and a large area just refroze. 

Offline icey kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Was that around the edge or did you go out a ways? Should be close to 3 or 4 inches by the weekend. Very close to being ready to fish.

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:40 PM »
We probably went out 40 yards or so.  The further we got out the worse the ice got.  Like I said a large area by the road bed looked like it was open yesterday. It was frustrating because we were about 30-40yds away from a pretty good spot but too iffy with the ice only being 2.5".

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2009, 04:40 AM »
Went to badger today and it was the same as the day before, I walked on ice , i drill some holes , vex was lit up ! many lookers few bites. another guy slayed a nice 12 inch crappie on minnow.  My buddy had 5 keeper gills and i caught 5 dinks .  the ice was 4 to 5 inches  on the white ice over most of the road bed ,   the clear ice looked thinner  but was obviously the last to  freeze up and no one wanted to try it. probably the strongest ice but i felt safer on the frozen slush mix ice . fun but kinda slow         
Hard charger !

Offline icey kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2009, 03:19 PM »
Alsoout fishing the road bed today and caught around 30 gills between my dad and I and around 8 crappies. One crappie was 11.5 then the other two were 12 inchers. All caught on a jig and wax worm.

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2009, 12:06 AM »
 you guys are dye hard  that is alsome news to hear
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline ToddK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2009, 05:28 AM »
I fished it Saturday afternoon on the roadbed.  One really nice 12" crappie on a minnow and then a few other dinks.   Pretty slow, a lot of marked fish but they weren't real active.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2009, 01:28 PM »
Heard there was already some litter issues on Badger.
Lets try our best to pick up our trash ...

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2009, 12:08 AM »
i hear badger is starting to heat up i will know for sure tomorrow. i will post my results
Hard charger !

Offline frostyicecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:56 AM »
i hear badger is starting to heat up i will know for sure tomorrow. i will post my results

If you mean tomorrow being Wed, I will probably be there too. 

Red mommy van if I can get down the road.

Gonna go check.

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:30 PM »
garbage belongs in the trash can or your bucket----------not the lake  respect what we have

Offline frostyicecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:57 PM »
The lake has around 6 inches of ice now. There were at least twenty guys all in one area around the roadbed. One guy did wander towards the dam and fished over there. Caught 15 bluegills in the 8-10 inch range and one 10 inch crappie. There were a lot of small fish caught also.
I didn't use any wax worms. The Berkley Gulp minnow heads are awesome !!! I've never used them before and couldn't believe how well they worked. I changed jig colors and the results were the same with all colors. I even used a plain gold and a plain silver jig. These seemed to work even better. I also noticed you have to jig like crazy with these. The fish wouldn't touch the pole that sat still.  As soon as I jigged it I would get a bite. This was also done without electronics thanks to my battery dying after the second fish. Time for a backup!

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:10 PM »
The lake has around 6 inches of ice now. There were at least twenty guys all in one area around the roadbed. One guy did wander towards the dam and fished over there. Caught 15 bluegills in the 8-10 inch range and one 10 inch crappie. There were a lot of small fish caught also.
I didn't use any wax worms. The Berkley Gulp minnow heads are awesome !!! I've never used them before and couldn't believe how well they worked. I changed jig colors and the results were the same with all colors. I even used a plain gold and a plain silver jig. These seemed to work even better. I also noticed you have to jig like crazy with these. The fish wouldn't touch the pole that sat still.  As soon as I jigged it I would get a bite. This was also done without electronics thanks to my battery dying after the second fish. Time for a backup!

Great report, fished it this past weekend and we couldn't get a gill over 8", sounds like the size have increased but not taking anything away from your outing but I bet you didn't catch any 10" gills.  I have fished that lake a ton and have yet to see a 10" gill pulled out of there let alone many 9.5"s.  Good work with out electronics, fishing blind. 

As far as the trash goes, we fished it Saturday am, and whoever fished it Friday, probably the first to fish the lake, left all sorts of trash on the lake. I guess they must have been celebrating be the first to fish the lake.  Hard to believe!!!

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:41 AM »
fished wed also  and managed to bring home 9 keeper gills caught some smaller ones to. had to play with them a bit . ice looked good  more clear ice than white. crappies were small but i missed a few bites on the minnow pole. good time  wish i had time today
Hard charger !

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:58 PM »
Went out tonight and fished the creek channel north of the roadbed from 4-6, beautiful night to be out but the fishing was slooooow.  We managed maybe 20 fish with 2 keepers.  I caught one gill that was 8.5" and a crappie that was 9.5".  The other fish were dinks, it was a bad sign when we got there and many were packing up and heading in.  Still a nice night out. 

Offline ripNlips83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Havent heard any reports from here in a while. Anyone having any luck?

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:34 PM »
was out today...along with alot of other people (probably 25+ shacks) we were in 12 fow south of the road bed and tore up the gills. i think we kept 20-25 9-10" fish. Fish were kind of finicky but we figured out what they wanted.

jt

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:51 PM »
when nobodys reporting,  I ve learned they are bitting   better get out and hit it   lol ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.