Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Anyone want to do an Iowa Ice Shanty get together?  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Anyone want to do an Iowa Ice Shanty get together?
« on: Oct 24, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Just wondering if anyone would be interested in doing an Ice Fishing get together early in the Ice Fishing Season..........I'm thinking The Iowa Great Lakes or Maybe Storm Lake would be a good place. Anyone interested..........na me a possible place or date?????

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
Re: Anyone want to do an Iowa Ice Shanty get together?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2009, 09:11 PM »
I would but my weekends are pretty well full already with work, outings or tournaments.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:15 PM »
IGL's I'm game, got one GT early Jan free anytime else.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2009, 10:42 PM »
heck yeah...we NEED to do this!!!!!

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2009, 11:27 PM »
I would possibly be in depending on weekend if at the IGL's  always up for perch on Big Spirit, haven't tried a whole lot for the sight fishing Gills on West, what little I have tried it was pretty cool.

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2009, 02:16 AM »
We plan on making a first trip to the IGL's in early Jan. for a weekend.  Might have to line it up with what you got going on, if it all works out.  Might be a blessing in disguise since we've never fished any of those lakes..

Pool 9 Pro

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2009, 09:18 AM »
In the past I never icefished on Saturdays much. This year I probably will so I can make it if its at the IGLs.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2009, 12:59 PM »
We plan on making a first trip to the IGL's in early Jan. for a weekend.  Might have to line it up with what you got going on, if it all works out.  Might be a blessing in disguise since we've never fished any of those lakes..

I've got GPS with quite a few of the structures marked on the IGL.  When it gets a little later though, all one really needs to do is go out in 18-20 ft of water on Spirt and drop in.....about every 15-30 min a school of perch will come through and you'll pull up 4 or 5 of them. For me it's just more fun to have a group of people out fishing, and seeing what everyone does to catch fish.

Offline chocolatehuntinglabs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lake Park, IA
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2009, 03:45 PM »
Sounds like a great time.  Should get something set up.  I have a few buddies that ice fish a lot, but aren't quite committed to joining Ice Shanty, maybe this would help change their minds. 

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2009, 07:19 PM »
You guys know I'm in...where, when, how, why...whatever.  If you guys have some buddies getting into the sport, I'm outfitted for about 7 guys (minus electronics).  Have a trailer behind a 2 up ATV for transport of gear and/or people...ready to go. I love taking guys on the edge to the next level. As an example...I'm the kind of guy that loves to see like a novice skier looking down the big slope..wondering if he can do it.  I saw some guy in CO last year hanging on the edge of a HUGE slope...he was a decent skier...at least he had his name engraved on his skis so I assume he was serious.  When I "bumped" him onto the black diamond...he yelled the whole way down but made it without grinding out.  Never did run into the dude again but searched the reservations at Winter Park.  No listing for anyone with the last name Rental.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2009, 09:33 PM »
I would like to do one. Depends on time. I have two already lined up for January though.

Offline two_n_ia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2009, 07:46 AM »
I would like to meet up with you guys.  Just figure out a date and time..

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2009, 10:40 AM »
I'm in southern Mn - just 25 miles from the border - been exploring some of your waters - would like to learn more.

UG

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2009, 11:02 AM »
I'm in southern Mn - just 25 miles from the border - been exploring some of your waters - would like to learn more.

UG

how are the lakes around you for fishing? I would be up for a trip north

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline stonecat76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2009, 08:53 PM »
can't wait igl any time

Offline ducky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2009, 06:47 PM »
Brittlab. Im looking at heading North for a few days too, possibly in February, maybe a group of 5 or 6 up to Brainerd area.

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2009, 07:43 PM »
Brittlab

Will get back to you w/ more details....

UG

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2009, 08:39 PM »
We have been doing a GTG in MN for a couple years now and you guys should too. It is allot of fun to put real names and faces to the user names you see here on the site. We do it in March because of the brutally cold temps found here. we scheduled the first one for mid January and it was -25F. We were forced to cancel it due to the extreme cold weather. I advise a date that is reliable for warmer weather, but not so late you need to worry about rotten ice. We make it more about beer and BS than a pail full of fish, because it is tough to move allot with a big group. If you guys can select a resort that is willing to help you find the hot bite at that minute, it is very helpful. Paul Waldowski from Appledoorn's Sunset Bay Resort on Mille Lacs helped our group out last year. If you cant secure this type of help, maybe a couple of you can do some scouting the day before. A few of us are planning a seek and destroy scouting mission for the day before our gathering this year.

Good Luck! Make it happen!

I hope to see some of you at the ice show in St. Paul this year. :)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2009, 09:15 PM »
We have been doing a GTG in MN for a couple years now and you guys should too. It is allot of fun to put real names and faces to the user names you see here on the site. We do it in March because of the brutally cold temps found here. we scheduled the first one for mid January and it was -25F. We were forced to cancel it due to the extreme cold weather. I advise a date that is reliable for warmer weather, but not so late you need to worry about rotten ice. We make it more about beer and BS than a pail full of fish, because it is tough to move allot with a big group. If you guys can select a resort that is willing to help you find the hot bite at that minute, it is very helpful. Paul Waldowski from Appledoorn's Sunset Bay Resort on Mille Lacs helped our group out last year. If you cant secure this type of help, maybe a couple of you can do some scouting the day before. A few of us are planning a seek and destroy scouting mission for the day before our gathering this year.

Good Luck! Make it happen!

I hope to see some of you at the ice show in St. Paul this year. :)

The IGL lakes are some of the Bigest lakes in Iowa, but they aren't very big if you compare them to your larger lakes like Upper Red, Winni, Leach, Mille Lacs, Otter Tail. Heck Spirt is the largest, but it is only around 5700 acres (East O and West O are smaller). Compare that to Mille Lacs which is 132,516 acres, and I can see where you would need someone to show you where the fish are. A small group can usually spread out a little and find where the fish are fairly quickly......that is if they are active at all.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Early is better on the IGL's by mid Jan things slow and by then most hotspots are hush hush. Best bite is first ice through the holidays but also bad time to have a GTG. Of course like any lakes sometimes they just won't eat. I'll be on them soon as muskie seasons over, missed about 10 days of first ice last year due to the muskie addiction.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2009, 10:04 PM »
Once ya catch one its a hard habit to kick...  ;D

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Count me in guys. Just let me know when and where.  I will make it a point to have that weekend free. I never fised IGL so it woluld be great to fish with some pros that know the area.  See ya then. ;D

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2009, 06:50 PM »
I would be in depending on the weekend, after Jan it gets pretty busy at work, end up working lots of weekends and have to do my fishing localy at night close to home.

Offline ice pig 121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2009, 10:37 PM »
Absolutly!! That sounds like a great time, the work schedule is kind of tough but if theres a will theres a way!
Tight lines and happy hunting to all! Go Vikings!!

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2009, 08:27 AM »
Brittlab

check your pm's

UG

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2009, 12:31 PM »
You guys know I'm in...where, when, how, why...whatever.  If you guys have some buddies getting into the sport, I'm outfitted for about 7 guys (minus electronics).  Have a trailer behind a 2 up ATV for transport of gear and/or people...ready to go. I love taking guys on the edge to the next level. As an example...I'm the kind of guy that loves to see like a novice skier looking down the big slope..wondering if he can do it.  I saw some guy in CO last year hanging on the edge of a HUGE slope...he was a decent skier...at least he had his name engraved on his skis so I assume he was serious.  When I "bumped" him onto the black diamond...he yelled the whole way down but made it without grinding out.  Never did run into the dude again but searched the reservations at Winter Park.  No listing for anyone with the last name Rental.

LOL!!!!!! That's funny right there  ;D

I'm down for anytime at the IGL's.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Heinrix maybe we can get your cousin from Carroll up on the ice this winter. I already planted the muskie bug in him now to get him on the ice.

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2009, 08:56 AM »
Yeah, we really should get him up here to do some ice fishing! Hopefully it's as good this year as it was last.

Offline cropee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Count me in if it is after late muzzle loader deer hunting... anyplace after Jan 10th
Keep in mind on the big lakes some guys need transportation out onto the lake..... not a problem here but use to be
Bye the way I am thinking of doing the St Paul Ice fishing show anyone ever been??? is it worth going to???

Offline chubking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2009, 10:10 AM »
Cropee I been there 2 times well with the trip up.I will be there Saturday lots of good buys if you ask for them.I would like to see a gtg in NE Iowa.ICE JOHN
TEAM ICEHEAD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.