Author Topic: Can see them but NO BITES  (Read 3133 times)

OU812

Can see them but NO BITES
« on: Feb 25, 2004, 01:45 PM »
The farm ponds I fish give up some BIG  bluegill and white crappie in the open water season but I have a devil of a time through the ice. The only difference I can think of is the water clears up alot...

I read the other topics and helpful suggestion on bait, etc..but I have a few questions.
Do you guys search all over with sonar to find a school?? Chumming? Do you fish structure only?? Max of 8 foot deep here. I know there are plenty of fish in there but they won't hardly take a tiny (#12) teardrop with a waxie on 2-4 lb. test. Thinking about dumping a brushpile in the deep end...any suggestions???
Thanks in advance  :'(

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Re: Can see them but NO BITES
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2004, 06:58 AM »
If there isn't a lot of pressure on those ponds the sound of you drilling and walking on the ice might be spooking them. Drill all your holes and let the area rest a bit. When you walk be aware of the noise you are making, treat it kind of like walking along a bank fishing for brook trout. Deadstick a couple of different baits within reach and use spring bobbers. I would start with a waxworm on one rig, break him up a little to let the juice out, and maybe a couple of mousee or spikes. Once you get the school back under you and they start to feed you should be ok.
Good Luck
FTD

OU812

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2004, 12:54 PM »
Hey....thanks man.
Come to think of it I am always walking around "searching" for the school of bluegills. Drilling...and more drilling. Probably just need to stay put. Do you use a technique to "ATTRACT" them to your hole? Thumping? Chumming?

The water is also SUPER clear in winter as opposed to murky in open water...would you suggest night fishin for the Crappie that are also there?

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2004, 02:41 PM »
I don't usually thump or chum for bluegill or crappie. I do "thump" for walleye in stained water. As far as the crappie is concerned, I'd be all set up with all the holes drilled so that in the late afternoon/early evening I was ready with the bait in the water. I have found that the best time to catch them is just after dusk. For crappie, IF chumming is legal where you are, you can use some ground up minnows and trickle them into the water for about an hour before dusk. The flashing scales are what will attract them, especially if the water is clear. For the 'gills....I'd start near to where you have found them before and work your way off to the sides. Just remember to be aware of how much noise you create by moving.
Good Luck
FTD

OU812

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2004, 03:28 PM »
I'm a new guy to this site...as I'm sure you can tell.
Just curious: What the heck is "LOL" mean anyhow?

Offline IceFisherman89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2004, 05:11 PM »
Yea you got a real good point there dad i agree fully. what i usually do tho is drill some  holes i usually bring a friend so we fish with 4 rods with springbobbers on them. yea when u drill ur hole u should wait and give it a chance, not move every 20 or 30 mins. i usually fish this one lake and i have pulled out some monster sunfish,crappie and bluegill over the years, i remember when i could just see them in my hole and i would be pulling them out like crazy(crappie,bluegill,sunfish and perch). but when they take ur bait it takes u that long to rebait that they already could be gone. so i recommend that when there hitting through ur hole just fish with 1 pole it makes it alot easier and be shure to try new colors. The best time is to catch them right before dark thats true for all panfish in my experience.

and LOL/lol means laugh at loud

OU812

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2004, 11:32 PM »
89, thanks...that makes sense.
I just remember In fisherman videos telling me to move if your not getting much. maybe I wouldn't need to move as often as I was thinking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.