The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Magog Report  (Read 1118 times)

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Magog Report
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:22 PM »
I hadn't fished Magog in years and thought it was time to try for salmon /lakers up there today. Wrights store said the laker bite was poor and the salmon  bite was worse.Very few bobhouses by the islands telling me the smelt aren't around and therefore the salmon/lakers aren't around either. We had perch flags but nothing else, snow is deep but driveable w/four wheel drive and a bit of hammering. Bottom line is it will be years again before I go back !   :(

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Re: Magog Report
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:33 PM »
Magog fishes hot and cold. Two seasons ago, lake was on fire with clouds of small 2-3 inch smelt.
I fished it opening day last year and nothing doing. You fish East side by the twins or West shore? 

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Magog fishes hot and cold. Two seasons ago, lake was on fire with clouds of small 2-3 inch smelt.
I fished it opening day last year and nothing doing. You fish East side by the twins or West shore?

TRT, We were out past the twins towards Providence.

Offline Neksportsman850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:45 PM »
I've been having really good luck this year on the lake. And I've seen some nice lakers so far. My buddy caught a rainbow the other day jigging.

Offline dslav

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:48 PM »
I hadn't fished Magog in years and thought it was time to try for salmon /lakers up there today. Wrights store said the laker bite was poor and the salmon  bite was worse.Very few bobhouses by the islands telling me the smelt aren't around and therefore the salmon/lakers aren't around either. We had perch flags but nothing else, snow is deep but driveable w/four wheel drive and a bit of hammering. Bottom line is it will be years again before I go back !   :(

Ha ha. We just bought bait from Wrights tonight and the intel they told us was that people were cathing lakers and salmon. So best bet is to make your own report. We have been renting a house on the lake for the last three years and fishing in front of it with Ok results. Doing the same this weekend so we will see.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:31 AM »
I'm out on magog right now. It's been a great year for salmon and trout.
We got one small Laker just after light and 20 minutes later a eater salmon.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Neksportsman850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:15 AM »
Just got off the lake. Perch bite was decent till around 1030ish. Then it started to snow. Hooked this piggy tho. She was a tank! 

Offline dslav

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:14 PM »
A little late but still a report. We had a great day on Saturday. Perch bite was on for most of the day and their size was really nice. We got a really nice rainbow trout (my PB rainbow probably around 4lbs), a 6lbs salmon and I caught and released a 25" fat lake trout. We also got 4 pike on the trout traps but nothing of size (biggest one was only 30") and a bunch of pickerel. Funny thing is I was fighting the laker for a while due to the light leader and thinking it was another pike. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it for first time in the hole but my buddies were laughing big time since it took me at least 5 mins to land it while thinking it was a pike.  ::) Sunday was a different story. We had even bought more bait cause all the action on Saturday but the bite was off. We still got a bunch of perch and one 28" pike but all the flags were spread out during the day. Overall, we had another great ice fishing trip at Magog and cannot wait to come back next year. Weather was perfect both days and we had a blast.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Nice job, dslav!  Sounds like a great trip!  4lb rainbow and 6lb salmon  ... wow!

Where we you fishing, dslav?  I'm going to be up that way next weekend and thinking about giving Magog a try.

Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.