Author Topic: Ridgid Octane Drill to Clam Plate minor hiccup  (Read 2142 times)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ridgid Octane Drill to Clam Plate minor hiccup
« on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:52 AM »
The new Ridgid Octane drill has a feature on the handle called the "LED grip light switch" which engages some little LEDs in the chuck to illuminate whatever you're trying to drill.

However, the U-bolt that attaches a Clam plate to the dril passes directly over that flush switch and as you tighten the U-bolt down it activates the LEDs. I haven't fixed mine yet 

but I'll probably just insert a short piece of toothpick or soft wire on either side of that flush switch to shim it out and relieve the contact pressure.

First trip out yesterday with that particular combination of Ridgid Octane/ Clam plate / 7" Nero Auger. I've used several drill combos in recent years with Milwaukee Fuel coupled

with 8" Nils and 8" LazerMag with the ripper teeth. All are great combos but I was very impressed with the speed and light weight of this mix.  Certainly much faster than any

stand alone electric unit if the YouTube videos are to be believed, lighter, and at an an exceptional value.

We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Ridgid Octane Drill to Clam Plate minor hiccup
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:01 AM »
i just helped someone else with this.
move the drill mount towards the auger adapter all of the way until it stops. this fix's the c bolt to led switch.
use the long slot for the paddle bolt.
good to go.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:04 AM »
I just put my Clam Plate together and it did the same thing to my 700 "# Ridgid. I just moved the plate as far to one side as I could and then put the U-bolt up Higher on the handle. I also put the trigger on the same slot as the U-bolt and it works fine.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:04 AM »
i just helped someone else with this.
move the drill mount towards the auger adapter all of the way until it stops. this fix's the c bolt to led switch.
use the long slot for the paddle bolt.
good to go.

HA HA HA , just posted about the same thing.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:10 AM »
that's cool. we know the plate has an issue with pressure activated led switches on both models now.
clam could just put an extra bend in their c clamp to alleviate their issue.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:23 AM »
3300 helped me out yesterday with this...also he had the idea of putting the trigger switch in the same slot as the c drill fastener instead of the front slot like clams instructions.much better adjustments on the trigger mechanism for the ridgid 1300 beast drill.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2018, 01:33 PM »
I'm glad you guys could adjust your way out of that little problem but after about an hour I stuck my hands in the air. The housing on the Ridgid Octane 18v is just so different than

the Milwaukee Fuel and maybe even Lefty's model that it's the drill that tells you what it likes and how it's going to fit. When I put the trigger linkage in the same slot as the U-bolt ,

the trigger paddle missed the drill  trigger entirely. I got it all back to where it was happy and then used a half of a 3d nail alongside the grip light switch and that fixed it. This little

issue as well as the trigger return problem shouldn't just have to be left up to tool bench engineers like us to solve though I guess it just adds zest to the experience.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2018, 01:34 PM »
here's how it should look.

notice the top bolt for the drill mount plate. it is all of the way down in the slot and can't move towards the auger adapter any further. all they would have to do is make the base plate slots longer to accommodate these types of drills with pressure switches. the paddle is a different story. it needs to be longer to be used in same slot as drill mount method or shorter to be used as they planned.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Well, mine just doesn't look like that. I think I see where the problem is in the trigger linkage. Thank you for those pictures.
                                                               Stinky

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2018, 01:50 PM »
no problem. i have more if you want them.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2018, 02:05 PM »
no problem. i have more if you want them.
Basta. Problem fixed. 3300 for Mayor is my new motto.
                                                               Stinky

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2018, 02:16 PM »
I almost started drinking again trying to get my trigger mech right and the trigger pull arm was even with the outside handle..then 3300 sent me pics of the assembly in the 2nd groove.done and it works great.my lever could be straighter but its a smooth pull so im alright with it.thanks 3300 !

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2018, 02:31 PM »
3300, that is exactly how mine came out. One plate bolt to the extreme side and the other in the center. Bolt to Trigger in the same slot as the u-bolt. I at first had it in the other slot and I was trying to figure out why my light stayed on. After I realized it was the bottom trigger on the drill I moved everything.
<===Lefty===

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Strange, I had no issues what-so-ever with the same setup. I made sure the upright piece was as far away from the trigger side of the plate as possible when assembling it and it works great.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2018, 05:06 PM »

First trip out yesterday with that particular combination of Ridgid Octane/ Clam plate / 7" Nero Auger. I've used several drill combos in recent years with Milwaukee Fuel coupled

with 8" Nils and 8" LazerMag with the ripper teeth. All are great combos but I was very impressed with the speed and light weight of this mix.  Certainly much faster than any

stand alone electric unit if the YouTube videos are to be believed, lighter, and at an an exceptional value.
[/quote]

You're comparing a 7" Nero to a 8" Nils and Lazer. 
7" Nero your cutting 24% less area than a 8" Nils or Lazer.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:39 PM »

You're comparing a 7" Nero to a 8" Nils and Lazer. 
7" Nero your cutting 24% less area than a 8" Nils or Lazer.

Thank you. I know that since I'm the one running the auger. It's not faster cutting because it's smaller in diameter. It's faster because it has a higher rotation speed with

sufficient torque compared with the stand alone electric units. The 7" versus 8" only matters if it's a hand auger and you're doing it by the Armstrong method. This thing is getting

close to IceGator speed and if you want to see one of those in action you'll have to go to YouTube because they are a part of history.
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.