Author Topic: PreSeason projects???  (Read 10743 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
PreSeason projects???
« on: Sep 23, 2008, 07:58 AM »
To stave off calendar watching and long rage almanac weather predictions, I have immersed myself in multiple pre-season projects and have gone nuts but buying stuff.  Biggest endeavor has been the Cabelas 2-man portable kit.  Awsome!  Almost finished.  They sold them out and I can see why.  I did read some negative comments on them and, other than the pole bag being to small, I can understand why.  I did more modifications than direction following.  It is a spin off of the suitcase style shelter but you make the trifold floor (really a bifold, but there is a 4" center strip piece to allow it to "clam").  I added some wood / stainless steel runners to be able to transport it either assembled or folded up.  Also, some nice big hook latches to keep it tightly closed for higher speed pulling and added 4 bungee "cross members" to give is some added rigidity.  Then, carpeted the floors.  I watersealed the wood to the Nth degree so this one should last.  Amazingly it is very light and easy to handle when locked up in the folded position.

The next few weeks, I'll be heading to some area lakes to use my new AquaView and GPS to map out structure and brush pile.  The lake I fish is incredibly clear (hard to believe) and I wasn't expecting the view distance I had this last saturday.  So I'm going to spend a day just drifting over points and drop offs looking for features that have fish-holding possibilities and making waypoints.

Other than that, I've just been buying and stringing up some new combos, modifying some lures to dropper rigs, shopping and/or booking December trips, studying some high def. countour maps, and reading as many articles as I can.

How far off is first ice....?????  I'll never make it....
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: PreSeason projects???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2008, 08:29 AM »
I have a few pre-season things to get done as well..

Im building a new wood stove for the shack, along with new stove pipe. A couple minor repairs to the shack itself.

I have to find and buy a new or good used ice auger...and then I also really want to find an Aqua Vu camera to try using this winter!

Stevo.....bring on the ice!

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Just finished my new sled, now all I need is Ice. :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline phesant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2008, 03:24 AM »
Just finished putting poly strips on my ice sleds.....patched holes in QF III ....Now I know I'm foregetting something.....

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2008, 04:26 AM »
have plans for a new sled,finished making up 2 doz quik strike rigs,checked all lines(need to replace),auger needs tune-up,need to replace side pole on portable   It will be a busy fall
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2008, 10:10 AM »
School and up coming hunting season have kept me pretty busy, plan to maybe build a nice hardside this year instead of relying entirely on the portable
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2008, 10:20 AM »
I'm putting together a new sled this week. Other than that, I'm bored as hell waiting for the ice.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2008, 07:30 AM »
Still need to get the garage cleaned up...hut it still set up in there and the wife comes home, scowls at me, and heads for the basement and I don't see her all night.

...I ordered 5 more kits...should get me silence through the holidays....
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline baboosicfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Just Finished replacing the on/off switch on my jiffy auger.  Bought a clam 6800 at the end of last season and want to do some interior mods to make is more enjoyable (plywood floor, hooks for gear, fan to blow out moisture, etc.)  I also put the last coat of enamel on my gear sled, should work perfectly for the amount of crap i usually bring on the ice with me.

Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2008, 08:42 PM »
To stave off calendar watching and long rage almanac weather predictions, I have immersed myself in multiple pre-season projects and have gone nuts but buying stuff.  Biggest endeavor has been the Cabelas 2-man portable kit.  Awsome!  Almost finished.  They sold them out and I can see why.  I did read some negative comments on them and, other than the pole bag being to small, I can understand why.  I did more modifications than direction following.  It is a spin off of the suitcase style shelter but you make the trifold floor (really a bifold, but there is a 4" center strip piece to allow it to "clam").  I added some wood / stainless steel runners to be able to transport it either assembled or folded up.  Also, some nice big hook latches to keep it tightly closed for higher speed pulling and added 4 bungee "cross members" to give is some added rigidity.  Then, carpeted the floors.  I watersealed the wood to the Nth degree so this one should last.  Amazingly it is very light and easy to handle when locked up in the folded position.

Please post some pictures of this enhanced Cabelas tent kit!

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2008, 10:20 PM »
Took the blade off the auger to get it sharpened.  Ran it for 2 or 3 seasons on the original blade.  I was going to be ordering some more jigs right now, but a cast for the youngest boy and a sax for the oldest has those plans pushed out for a few weeks.  I still need to get a plug for the auger, now that you guys mention it.  I haven't pulled out the portable, but have checked on it and it is still there and waiting to be used.  I also still need to re-string the rods, but that will have to wait until the stores get the string stocked.  I think that there isn't much to do.  I want to get a fall trip in the boat under the belt too.  But I am really wanting to walk on water and soon.

timberdoodle

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2008, 01:28 PM »
Most of the way done on my new box for the back of my ranger. Still need to tidy it up a bit but almost there. Still trying to figure out a bait bucket of some sort. I'm putting in a 12volt battery to run a light and a pump. Should be a great way to transport the gear. My portable shanty will go right on top when I head out on the ice, and with the tracks on it will go about anywhere. Not quite finished with the paint yet either. Trying to come up with a catchy saying to put on the sides. Hopefully you guys will see lots more pics with the buggy on the ice and me with lots of fish.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2008, 02:38 PM »
sweet
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2008, 02:41 PM »
What do you need a shanty for when you can get the cab enclosure for that thing. You can even get a heater for it. Cut a hole in the shelf big enough for your bait bucket to fit into, and place a piece of ply wood on the other side so you can slide it over to cover the hole when you don't need it. Just trying to help.

If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

timberdoodle

« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2008, 04:24 PM »
That's not a bad idea about the bait bucket. Still deciding on which cab to get for the buggy, they are all wicked expensive. Come to think of it, everything is for that Ranger...lol. Probably just go with a soft cab for now. Actually the engine is under the seat so the heat from that keeps it pretty comfortable in there. I'm getting pretty itchy for ice now that I have been working on the box.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Trying to come up with a catchy saying to put on the sides.

Why not put an Ice Shanty Militia sticker on one side? Paint the Ice Shanty Logo on another?

My preseason projects (have been):

Disconnect the mercury switch from my Mr. Buddy (done).
Build a folding floor for use in my Shapell 6000 (done).
Build an auger rack to bolt onto my two-up's basket (in progress).
Replace the line on most of my jig rod reels/traps (todo).
Re-paint the coroplast shack floor (if it's warm enough next trip to camp).
Check the condition of my Rover (repair as necessary).

I am sure there will other projects that come up before the season....

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2008, 04:55 PM »
Fired up the auger and got a few things organized.  Possible hardside update--I've had a few ideas since I built it 2 years ago--it needs a little attn anyway since digging it out of the ice dinged it minorly   ;)--bowhunting is nearly upon us, so I don't have a clear sense of when, but hopefully soon.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Organize/simplify. Accumulated vast quantities of stuff over the years, assess what I "really" use and what I don't.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2008, 07:40 PM »
well i need to replace the seat on my arctic cat...won an auction of it on ebay with gas tank still attached so it will be an easy swap...then the regular changing line on the jigrods and reversing backing on my tipups. ready to go other than that!

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2008, 08:11 PM »
find my gear where I put so I wouldn't forget it............ ::)
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 28, 2008, 08:31 PM »
I need to figure out how to rig some kind of sled for hand pulling that will haul my gear and my two person Frabill Outback.  Any/all suggestions welcome.

I just started ice fishing in January, so my gear is all ready to go.  Didn't fish enough to need to re-string the reels or worry about a dull auger.  I'll set the Outback up in a few weeks to air it out a bit.  Maybe add to my small jig collection.

Oh... and order some Chubby Darters.

Jeff

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 28, 2008, 08:36 PM »
Time and/or any heat/sun will kill light line.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #22 on: Sep 28, 2008, 09:14 PM »
i need to set up the fish trap so it can get aired out, it smells musty like the basement from the flooding.any suggestions would be appreciated. smells like mold.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 29, 2008, 07:19 AM »
i need to set up the fish trap so it can get aired out, it smells musty like the basement from the flooding.any suggestions would be appreciated. smells like mold.

Try putting a bag of charcoal briquettes in it and zip it up..or some cookie sheets layered with arm n hammer...maybe some of that shower stuff..handful of christmas tree air freshners>??   I found a chub from last year in my tip-up bucket....amazingly, it never really smelled. Looked kind of freeze dried.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Sep 29, 2008, 07:19 AM »
open her up  crack a few beers  knock one overwith your foot  like ya just got the bite of a lifetime

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Sep 29, 2008, 08:34 AM »
Time and/or any heat/sun will kill light line.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but being a newbie, I have some questions concerning the above response.

I purchased my Ice rods/reels and spooled them in January.  Fished through the end of Feb. then our ice went away.  Stored everything away in the garage in plastic storage bins, out of the light, and max temp was probaby 85 degrees this summer.  I know line is cheap, but is it necessary to change out after about five uses in this time frame?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Sep 29, 2008, 08:35 AM »
naw   just gotta have an excuse for the big one that got away!  lol

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 29, 2008, 10:18 AM »
I think it depends on the line.  I've found that mono is more likely to get "memory" from being stored and the cheaper the line, the more it will coil.  Coiling really hurst success..as does a spinning jig.  A good reel (with a roller bearing in the bail) and professionally strung spool will help.  The Cajun Red line is a very limp and low-memory line I like in the mono...and the Firelin Crystal 4 pound is a good choice when water or light conditions allow.  I use the Cajun for daytime sight fishing gills and break out the crystal for stained water or dusk fishing.  I think the point to remember is that the only piece of equipment you have between you and the fish is your line.  If there is any doubt...replace it.  Additionally, the spool size on your reel is a factor.  Some of these micro-light reels have teeny spool diameters which compound the problem when they are left to sit for long periods un-used.

One money saving tip I can give you it to use a mono-backing.  Meaning, fill about half your spool (or whateevr you feel comforable with) with mono.  I never fish much deeper than 30 feet...so I have 100 feet of my good line.  I feel bad tearing off all that spendy line each year - mostly, stuff that never even got wet.  Not to mention the fact that super lines require some backing or it will spin on your spool when it dries out or gets cold....use a blood knot to attach your premium line to the backing.  It's supposed to be the best, but to be honest, I've never been spooled to the point of getting into the backing....unfortunate lty...:-)

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 29, 2008, 12:27 PM »
Never really understood peoples hesitating to address their line. Hard, even in open water, fishing people have no problem dropping big bucks on rods, reels & tons of asst. accessories to catch a fish. But take line and its care for granted as nothing overly special. It's the only thing in actual contact with the bait/fish and more than likely the least expensive item you'll use everytime out. Sorry, just don't get it.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #29 on: Sep 29, 2008, 01:33 PM »
I picked up a couple of pairs of skis last week (thrift shop special $3.98 per pair). Today I started working on a sled for when I am going out without the Fish Trap Guide. Nothing drawn up, just kinda wingin' it. One pair of skis for that, the other is getting fastened to the Guide.... somehow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.