Author Topic: The ultimate bait shop  (Read 9924 times)

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
Re: The ultimate bait shop
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2006, 04:47 PM »
Tom's Bait Shop in Hydeville, VT is my ideal bait shop.
I miss Tom, but they are still doing a great job.

coudlent agree with you more. havent been there in a few years. hoping to go to the hortonia derby this year so i will stop in if i go.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2006, 04:48 PM »
A lake near me has a vending machine outside for mealworms and nitecrawlers. Better than nothing I guess.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline qflies001

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2006, 02:22 PM »
Friendly staff ,people that due fish and love ,that have their hart in it. And hours man early,early,early :o

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2006, 05:08 PM »
How about a bait shop staffed by Hooter Girls!! ;D
Yeah, the fish aren't biting anyway, so might as well just pull up a chair and bs with the Hooter's girls. you know ask them about their parent's, family, school, etc...
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2006, 06:48 PM »
I had a taxidermy customer get me out of bed at 5:AM. and wake up my parents (long ago when I still lived at home) just to show his buddy his deer head that was not completed yet. I put up with it then but I can assure you as I have become older and more assertive he would have gotten one hell of an a$$ chewing now.

Of course that is not the same as waking up the baitstore owner if he advertised to just ring the buzzer.

BTW this same guy shot the deer at least a dozen times once in each ear and at least a couple times in the neck and once in the muzzle. He had the audacity to look it over for a good long time before he picked it up and paid me. There are some real idiots out there in the world!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2006, 06:50 PM »
Wouldnt it be nice if someone had a portable baitshop. Kind of like the ice-cream truck. Brings bait, food, and beer. I liked the post about talking the wife into working it, but what if you just modified your own shack to run it yourself while you are fishing. One thing on that too, how will people know when and where you will be at what time. Seems a little risky because you wouldnt have that constant customer base, but if you made a full time schedule at different lakes I'm sure something would work out.

Keep those ideas rolling,
Fyrwlkr

Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if there are local ordinanizes that would prohibit someone from running a business like that or it wouldn't surprise me if it's not legal on a public lake.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2006, 07:11 PM »
  A few of the local golf courses have beer girls.  They hire college cuties to ride
around in a golf carts selling snacks, beaverages, icecream, etc.  These girls are
usually so good looking that my buddies and I buy a bunch of stuff and give them
a big tip.  The same marketing technique could be applied by some smart baitstore
on larger lakes especially during tipups.  Put a good looking girl on a snowmachine and send her around to all the icefishermen and I for one would buy bait  (even though I was already stocked up) and beer (even though I don't drink) just for the pleasure of her company.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:10 PM »
My favorite bait shop has this sign on the wall:

"UN-ATTENDED CHILDREN WILL BE GROUND UP FOR CHUM"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2006, 03:19 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LOL!!!!!!!!! :woot: :clap: :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao: :thumbsup:
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline tomg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 14, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Everyone seems to have good ideas. But one I like is not over charging fo emegency items, i.e props, reels, tools etc.

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #40 on: Feb 14, 2006, 12:33 PM »
To me the Ideal baitshop and the one I think is most important is if they have Knowledge of the area.  there is nothing I hate more when I walk into a bait shop and ask how the fishings been and someone says they have no clue.  It is the worst I will never go to that bait shop again.

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Sep 10, 2006, 10:39 AM »
Replying to my own thread from last year....oh dear what have I come too. Time for more ideas....

1. In addition to the previous posts. A baitshop which supported local fisherman by merchandising there modification ideas for there ice gear. I recently have seen some great mods for fish traps and some of them should be out there for others to enjoy. Why not support some locals and let them try their ideas out there.

2. Rental equipment...for those visitors who cant bring their own equipment. I have some friends from canada who think that would be great.
<

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #42 on: Sep 10, 2006, 12:01 PM »
guys I love all your ideas!  I just got a new job a few weeks as manager of the Lodge (Hunting and Fishing dept.) at Dicks Sporting Goods!  Its a brand new store and I wanted you all to know that I am printing out your opinions on what you like to see when you go to get your hunting and fishing gear!  Keep the great ideas going!

~Stefan~

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Sep 10, 2006, 11:23 PM »
2. Rental equipment...for those visitors who cant bring their own equipment. I have some friends from canada who think that would be great.

I have seen Baitshops that rent Fishing gear and boats :) as always the rods/reels are not top notch they are normally heavily abused.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Sep 11, 2006, 10:14 AM »
guys I love all your ideas!  I just got a new job a few weeks as manager of the Lodge (Hunting and Fishing dept.) at Dicks Sporting Goods!  Its a brand new store and I wanted you all to know that I am printing out your opinions on what you like to see when you go to get your hunting and fishing gear!  Keep the great ideas going!

~Stefan~
Good Luck to you Stefan. You need to tell me if any of the ideas come about. Especially the hooters girls. :o JK.
<

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Sep 11, 2006, 12:42 PM »
My dream for after retirement is to run a little bait and beer shop on Lake Winni in NH. I really like the equipment rental idea.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #46 on: Sep 12, 2006, 08:59 PM »
ill run that by the boss tomarrow!!

~Stefan~

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Sep 13, 2006, 03:32 PM »
Restorante'

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Sep 13, 2006, 09:26 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The owner lives upstairs or right next door. If the door to the bait shop is locked, there is a doorbell you can ring and someone will come to sell you bait . . . anytime . . . 24/7. 

Yeah, my cousin in Welcome,MN has a shop like this. Except the 24/7 part, Rogers a big fella and I wouldn't ring his doorbell at 3 or 4 AM.

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2007, 11:11 AM »
Reviving this thread from last season. Was out and about the other day....and thought that we should be able to by bait in advance....kinda like a bait punch card. I suppose they also call those gift cards. haha. Yes, I have been thinking about this since last season. Just glad that ice fishing season is back in full swing in most places. Here in Madison, Wisconsin no ice. Wish the bait shops could sell patches of ice right about now.
<

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Nov 12, 2007, 09:40 PM »
I know there is alot of new members out there and once again gearing up for the season. I always enjoyed reviving this thread up every year to hear new opinions.

All opinions are welcome....Serious and not so serious. We've heard everything from equipment rentals to hooters girls on here.

The temps in Eau Claire, WI are getting colder and Im ready to go.

An idea I do have for this season is a scrolling sign that gives current conditions of local lakes. I suppose it could get more high tech nowadays where fisherman could give live updates on conditions while on the ice. Thats what all these high tech phones and laptops are for now right.

Lets hear those ideas and if anyone has opened an ultimate baitshop I hope you can use some of these ideas.
<

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #51 on: Nov 12, 2007, 09:58 PM »
I can tell you that a tackle shop owner in my area is willing to order in most anything you are looking for.  He will order in from the US if need be, will even deliver to certain drop off points throughout the city.  Further to this, he offers a 15% discount to members of the online forums he's part of.  He's a bass tourney angler himself and his selection is second to none in my area for bass at least.  His ice selection is good, and like I've said, can get almost anything on the market.  He does very well  ;)

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #52 on: Nov 12, 2007, 10:05 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
:clap: :clap: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :bow: :clap: :roflmao:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Nov 13, 2007, 05:56 AM »
Ive toyed with the idea of selling minnow  maybe I will in a couple years when I get the new updated bait tank going   but it would only be sold on the honor system  self serve  aint got the money this week    well pay double next time   type thing
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 13, 2007, 08:16 AM »
The angler in Helmer, In is about the nicest mom and pop bait shop around and has a good selection . Long hours and has just about everything. And if he don't he will get it. Just no Hooters women there. Should at least have one for bending over and scooping minnows out of that deep tank or reaching way down in the cricket cage. ;D ;D
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #55 on: Nov 13, 2007, 04:24 PM »
Great replys so far....a couple I got from a buddy of mine.

1) Bait delivery...Im thinking that could get kinda hairy
2) Hot selection of soup to take in the thermos...since we both have culinary backgrounds.
3) Drive Thru
4) Call ahead
5) Shanty Storage

cheap, hot, good food usally takes the cake for me so go for it.shanty storage would be big for a lot of people. it would have to be indoors and mice free.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Nov 13, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Well to start, I wanna feel welcome. Maybe a video and a coffee pot in the corner with a brag board for pics and letters, a different section for tip-ups and rods, one for jigs and lures, one for hooks and leaders. Another area with shantys set up so you can check them out, electronics set up with someone to show you how to use them, a good selection of augers all kinds, electric, gas, and hand. bait at a competative price, and a good selection of it. And people that work there that are glad to help you.I know that's a fantasy, but one can dream.(((((FLAG))))) :tipup:
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #57 on: Dec 01, 2007, 12:08 PM »
I know a place back in PA by Lake Marburg (Codorus State Park) where they sold bait out of a vending machine. It was the type that had the compartments that would hold a piece of pie except this one served worms.

I know this isn't really the ultimate bait shop but just image if you had a franchise of bait vending machines by all the area lakes boat launchs.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 01, 2007, 12:25 PM »
come on now that wasnt a bad picture
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline crzy granny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 01, 2007, 02:33 PM »
come on now that wasnt a bad picture