Author Topic: UPDATE! MUSKRATS K.O.d IN MY SHANTY!  (Read 11105 times)

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Re: UPDATE! MUSKRATS K.O.d IN MY SHANTY!
« Reply #60 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:46 PM »
That is hilarious, you sure runined their day  ; :D

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #61 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:17 PM »
RIP Bob and Larissa :'( ;D  I think I can hear that old song playing softly in the background....What's it called?...Oh yea, "Muskrat Love" ;D ;D
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #62 on: Dec 10, 2005, 12:15 AM »
Buzzbomb that's just toooo funny!  :D :D Hookset, Ol' Bob's in my right hand alright.  He was quite hung for an ol' swamp gopher. ;D :D  In the "prime" of his life.  Sick to think Bob and Larrisa were using my shack as a Motel 6!   
Well after the "Wack a mole er' rat" incident, the ice was thick and no signs of additional rats... as of yet.
TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

« Reply #63 on: Dec 26, 2005, 04:50 PM »
No good deed goes unnoticed at Iceshanty.....in honor of this act of extraction, Lonewolf has prepared this document of recognition honoring Barleydogs rare achievement....Grump                                                                                     

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #64 on: Dec 26, 2005, 05:22 PM »
RIP Bob and Larissa :'( ;D  I think I can hear that old song playing softly in the background....What's it called?...Oh yea, "Muskrat Love" ;D ;D

nice song yes  ::)  but wasnt that muskrat suzie and muskrat sam??

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #65 on: Dec 26, 2005, 05:42 PM »
Too funny  :tipup:
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #66 on: Dec 26, 2005, 07:49 PM »
Do we have any songsters amongst us?  Mabey we could come up with a muskrat original and get it onto the next American Idol.  Mabey something along the lines of "Musksplat Shanty" :woot: 
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline MBK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 26, 2005, 08:41 PM »
Hilarious man.
Team BC forever

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:00 PM »
love the honorable mention their, nice touch lonewolf :)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:16 PM »
HAHAHA!  Grump you..... !   The comical works of Lonewolf himself!!!  A fine job, and the certificate looks great.  Now Alaska's "one up" on the tourney!  Come on you guys from BC and Manitoba!!!!! Top that one! :D :D :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline tomg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:44 AM »
I have a 76 Lb black lab that hates muskrats after a fight she had with one.  One was nesting in the seats of a row boat that I overturned to use for some duck hunting.  Then the Dog vs rat smackdown started.  That rat would not leave the boat.  You would be suprised how much damage those little buggers can do to a dog. But the dog was toying with it, so if she just would have crunched it she wouldn't have gotten 2 holes in her leg and a one inch hole through her cheek, NOW THATS A PAIRCED CHEEK.  Now she hates muskrat.  If she gets a wiff of them out duck hunting she is hard to get her back on to hunting ducks.

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #71 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:56 PM »
Ya, i had one pop up the hole on me the first time out this year.  wasn't expecting it,  scared the S#!* out of me! He was just sitting in the hole looking at me for about 10 seconds.  I had the ice scoop in my hand, didnt know weather to club him on not,(not a lot of swinging room in the portable)  I thought it might just P!$$ him off if i didnt get him hard enough to take em out!
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #72 on: Dec 31, 2005, 09:52 AM »
Well the deed is done!  Decided to fish after work and lay out a couple traps in the shack.  Opened the shanty door, and lifted the hole boards to find a fat little muskrat staring up at me.  He bolted for a hole he kept open, so I decided to fish a couple hours.....  The hours passed and the rat didn't come back.  I set the traps and readied them in the hole, when UP COMES A RAT RIGHT IN THE HOLE I'M SETTING THE TRAP IN!  Hey, it was my lucky day.  I dispatched him with the ice spud, and prepared the traps again...  Well DEJA VU!  ANOTHER RAT!  This time he's to quick for me and bolts back into the depths.  So I wait a minute, feeling like one of those PBS polar bears on a seal hole.  He makes the wrong move and comes up again.  Like his compadra, he, (or she) is dispatched humanly with a blow from the spud.  Muskrats - 0  Fat guy - 2  Didn't think I'd get them this way, but what the heck!  I still layed 3 sets in the holes.... Probably a nest of them under my shack.  A regular muskrat commune eh? ;)
(Image removed from quote.)
:clap: haaaahahahaaa funny
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #73 on: Dec 31, 2005, 09:53 AM »
No good deed goes unnoticed at Iceshanty.....in honor of this act of extraction, Lonewolf has prepared this document of recognition honoring Barleydogs rare achievement....Grump                                                                                     
(Image removed from quote.)
LOL, im crackin up now
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline avalanche

• IceShanty Rookie
  • any fishin
« Reply #74 on: Dec 31, 2005, 12:01 PM »
I believe I remember reading about a fisherman spearing thru the ice with his black lab in the shanty when a big northern swam by the dog went thru the hole after it and got trapped under the ice. Swimming around he found another fishermans hole. When he came up thru that hole the guy didnt try the door- he exited thru the side of the shanty

Avalanche

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31, 2005, 12:33 PM »
Well, you all know I was against killing them and it still bothers me.  Sometimes I go visit them where they slumber and wonder about how things might have been.

The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 31, 2005, 02:11 PM »
That's hilarious buzzbomb! ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #77 on: Dec 31, 2005, 08:37 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA!   :clap: :clap:
TEAM ALASKA

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 31, 2005, 08:43 PM »
I believe I remember reading about a fisherman spearing thru the ice with his black lab in the shanty when a big northern swam by the dog went thru the hole after it and got trapped under the ice. Swimming around he found another fishermans hole. When he came up thru that hole the guy didnt try the door- he exited thru the side of the shanty

Avalanche

Avalanche,

That did happen up in Minnesota. I've got a book around somewhere that has funny and weird documented things that have happened to fisherman. The other guy's iceshanty was really close to where the lab dived in. I seem to recall the lab was polite and shook himself once he popped out of the hole.

One of my favorite ones is where two friends stopped fishing together because everything they got together on the ice it rained. One day they decided to meet and there was no way it was going to rain as it was below zero. When the friend showed up -- you guessed it -- a warmfront came through and it rained.

BTW I have had a muskrat come up in my hole to several years ago on the Barbee Lake Chain in a channel.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #79 on: Dec 31, 2005, 09:13 PM »
LMAO  ;D ;D ;D

How did I miss this thread????? TOOOO funny.

Belated congrats BD.  :thumbsup:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #80 on: Jan 02, 2006, 11:14 AM »
I had one come up one of the holes in my shanty years ago. He just sat n the corner chewing on a cattail or reed or something and after a few minutes he went back down and never came back. It was fun to watch.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bulldog_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 05, 2006, 05:51 PM »
how funny, would have been a great fight on the jig line!!!  Wonder what kind of bait to use for them.

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #82 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:14 PM »
No doubt now you'll have to take up trapping......LOL :)
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Jan 07, 2006, 01:48 PM »
OMG!!!  I think i just blew a gasket from laughing so hard!!

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:27 PM »
Depends on the trapping season but if you have more than one hole put a conibear over one and then a foot hold right by the feed bunk or put it under the feed bunk.  It always works well for me while trapping.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #85 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:49 PM »
No fun Crappie98!  I trap, but it's just not the same!  Ya feel like a polar bear sitting atop of a seal air hole... You wait......and wait..... then WHAM! your prey comes through the hole.  Gets the adrenaline going. ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.