Author Topic: whats the best inexpensive drill to buy for my auger  (Read 12149 times)

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: whats the best inexpensive drill to buy for my auger
« Reply #60 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:59 AM »
thanks for the info i have a lot of problems back mknees and shoulder just trying to go lite so i can  keep fishing i dont know what i would do if i coulnt go fishing always looking for good advise to keep me going you know if you stop moving you die thats not for me  ;D

Offline acnicholson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:41 AM »
Since I have never used this setup I can't give much help, just my opinion from what I have read and talking to someone I know who fishes everyday and drills allot of holes(he uses a Craftsman 18 or 24v Lith and has no problems so far). First you have to have Lithium batteries, 2nd you should use 5-6" auger or less, and third use a auger that doesn't take big bites, like the Lazer. The bigger the bite the harder its on the drill. So the 5 or 6" Mora to me would work best, it takes smaller bites so drill doesn't have to work as hard and it may not need as much power. And last take your time. Don't put allot of pressure, pulse action or light pressure, its not a race. I would rather take a minute to drill a hole and save my drill than pushing hard to cut one in 20 secs. All my advise may be bull, its just my opinion. I will find out in a week when I get my drill.

We tried my uncles lithium craftsmen on my 8" lazer last weekend and it wouldn't hardly spin it.  We put back on his 6" lazer and it went through like butter.  He always uses his lazer.  He hasn't used his mora in 2 years.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:10 AM »

was that the 20v lithium proffesional

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #63 on: Feb 10, 2011, 10:49 AM »
That's way an "inexpensive drill for an auger" is an oxymoron.  You just can't expect to drill holes with a cheap drill. 

As many of you know, they are all different and not just 18, 20, 24, and 36 volts. A lot more to it than that other than voltage (which really doesn't tell you anything). The MOTOR and transmission are even more crucial than voltage.  That doesn't include the dynamics of different augers and sizes either.

Offline acnicholson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:02 AM »
was that the 20v lithium proffesional
It's smaller than 20v.  Either an 18 or 19.2.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 10, 2011, 02:53 PM »
This is all great but at which point do i just fork over the 300 bux for a cheap gasser and be done with it? :-\

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 10, 2011, 02:58 PM »
when none of this stuff works ;D

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #67 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:47 PM »
Bottom line is, you get what you pay for. I couldn't be happier with my setup and it didn't cost me a fortune either.  36v Bosch was $180, 7" Lazer $80, Ice Kicker gear box $80 ... $340 isn't bad.

I just plain don't like gas augers ... they stink, they're loud, don't always start, leak gas, expensive, heavy ... you get the idea. I always end up cutting holes for my buddies when theirs won't start.

That's why I say get the biggest, baddest, meanest drill you can find for the cheapest, just don't get a cheap drill. Granted, the cheapest I see the Bosch 36v drill for now is $269.99, not the $180 I paid a few years back, but the price will go down again as it did before.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:40 PM »
I was looking at that Ice Kicker 2 last night - I appreciate the idea behind it, definately a little less work on the drill's end, just wish it wasn't quite so clunky.

Maybe it's the pictures, but it looks awkward to hold as high as the drill is and with the auger spindle offset.

A side mount/worm gear would have made for a flat, flush handle and still keep the spindle centered.

Something I'll be watching the 'bay on as summer creeps in as ~80$ is a bit more than I'd like to spend on two gears in a housing.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #69 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:05 PM »
It's actually two gears that are chain driven, the chain and gears are beefy. The guy who sells them on eBay is the same guy that makes them. He also sells a straight shaft adaptor as well.  When I got mine it was a little awkward, but after I made a quick modification to it it worked just awesome. I took a steel bar and mounted my drill to the Ice Kicker via the drills handle. Like this:

I agree that somebody could make one better, but for now that's all that's available unless you make something yourself if you have the right resources. I do like the chain drive because it seems very smooth, as you may have seen in the video. It really does rip the holes like butter all day.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:50 AM »
So does anyone have experience with the Refurbished drills. Im pretty sure you can get Dewalt refurbs right from the factory.  Not sure about other manufacturers.  Every tool on ebay i look at is (new-other)without a battery usually. Are they worth it?

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #71 on: Feb 11, 2011, 11:06 AM »
So does anyone have experience with the Refurbished drills. Im pretty sure you can get Dewalt refurbs right from the factory.  Not sure about other manufacturers.  Every tool on ebay i look at is (new-other)without a battery usually. Are they worth it?

The Bosch I bought was not, but as you say, most of them on eBay are refurbs.  I guess it all depends on if there is a warranty on it or not. CPO Bosch, CPO Dewalt have some refurbs with a full warranty, but that's what I'd look for.  Otherwise it's a total gamble.

Offline Tailchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 11, 2011, 01:33 PM »
 I & 2 of my buddy's have the 18v. Bosch drill. $149.00 on sale at Lowes last year. It's the compac model. 2 litheon batt.  & charges in 1/2 hour. Do to some health problems my ice season has been cut short. My buddy's are still fishing & have no problems with that drill. Very, small & will cut 15 to probably 25 holes, (10 inches of ice ), on 1 batt. We are retired & don't cut that many holes anymore. I also, use that drill all year around the house.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:07 AM »
i tried my craftsman proffesional series 20v drill this weekend works great faster then my buddys power auger only problem i had after 8 holes blades were chipped and dull took them off i found that they were china blades on my stikemaster mora called them and new swedish blades are on the way

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Feb 14, 2011, 10:45 AM »
I have only had my Nils for about a week and a half. 6". I put on the drill adapter yesterday, w/ my 18v nicad Porter-Cable, 21 holes from one battery thru 10" of ice. I bought the drill (combo kit), reconditioned, from CPO tools.com, 2 yrs ago. Porter- cable, and others also have outlet stores, just call the brand you like to use and they 'll tell you the details.
Also, when or if you are buying a drill, look for the inch/lbs, or it could be foot/lbs of torque, which is more important than volts. I would say 440 or higher. Now the bigger volt drills, like a 36v might automatically come w/ the most ft/lbs of torque by design.
As a side note, IF, your in decent shape, and no health issues, and the ice is less than 14" thick. A 6" hand Nils auger is all a guy needs. IMO.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:32 PM »
But how much is a NILS? Prolly like 160 or 170 right? (if u can even find one)I could keep my mora and buy a reconditioned 18v Bosch with 650in/lbs torque for $199. thats a good price. with a 1 year warranty to boot. Could use it around the house too. http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-37618-01-rt-18v-cordless-litheon-brute-tough-drill-driver/bshr37618-01-rt,default,pd.html

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:37 PM »
But if you need to drill holes due to a drill or battery failure attch the handle to the Nils and the cost is easily forgotten due to the ease of drilling by hand, no other hand auger is even close to being in the same class, Moras not even in the same school....

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #77 on: Feb 15, 2011, 12:40 AM »
The price on the Nils does seem pretty steep ... until you use one. I think they are worth every penny.  The whole point is - no drill needed. They really do cut like no other auger, six times as easy as a Mora.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:09 AM »
My 6" Nils cost $118 and change. $95.95 for the auger, $7 something for taxes, and $12 something shipping. I had never used one, nor seen one in action, but I love it.
I had it out Sat, and every one that saw it talked about it, I also let about 6 people demo it.
I don't what you have now, but I would sell it, and buy the Nils. Heck, scrap it for that matter.

Like Sullymon said no drill needed, unless you want one, or need one.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:14 AM »
i dont care what it costs i will buy one and i have not even demoed one yet but from what everybody says about them. i have to try it

Offline jknep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Feb 15, 2011, 09:52 AM »
i dont care what it costs i will buy one and i have not even demoed one yet but from what everybody says about them. i have to try it
I leave my drill at home after I got my 6 inch Nils a few weeks back. Went out the other day, we have 18 inches of ice here in western pa. drilled 12 holes in a row. The best part is I had 5 brain surgeries over the last 4 yrs. and I am in no shape at all. My wife even drilled three and that there says something.  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:48 AM »
Im definitely feeling the same way. After pricing everything else and buying adapters and batteries and worrying about charging or failure. Im in good health and might as well keep warm somehow. But just to point out i was in no way comparing a mora to a nils.    Now just have to wait around till they go back on sale. Dont wanna try and find a used one, cause they cost as much as new with everyone wanting them so bad. But for 118 and change I'd buy 2! When do u think they will be available again? anybody?

Offline jknep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Im definitely feeling the same way. After pricing everything else and buying adapters and batteries and worrying about charging or failure. Im in good health and might as well keep warm somehow. But just to point out i was in no way comparing a mora to a nils.    Now just have to wait around till they go back on sale. Dont wanna try and find a used one, cause they cost as much as new with everyone wanting them so bad. But for 118 and change I'd buy 2! When do u think they will be available again? anybody?
Small Engine out of Ashby Mass. Has 4 1/2 inches( $125.00 any size) left that's all. Red Rock Wilderness sold out(SCALPED) of them at $ 189.00 plus shipping. Cabelas  $119.00 sold out till next year. There was a used one on e bay a week ago and it was already at $ 108.00 and had 2 days left. I think you might be out of luck for this year.

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 15, 2011, 12:09 PM »
I run a 36v Bosch, straight adapter to my 8" Nils, and it works just fine.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 15, 2011, 01:08 PM »
yep looks like next year for the nils i can wait in no hurry now my mora with the drill drives thru like butter but when you run out of battery power it is slightly difficult to cut by hand 15 inches of ice it will be nice to cut easy by hand when battery power runs out

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 15, 2011, 03:09 PM »
My 6" Nils cost $118 and change. $95.95 for the auger, $7 something for taxes, and $12 something shipping. I had never used one, nor seen one in action, but I love it.
I had it out Sat, and every one that saw it talked about it, I also let about 6 people demo it.
I don't what you have now, but I would sell it, and buy the Nils. Heck, scrap it for that matter.

Like Sullymon said no drill needed, unless you want one, or need one.
thanks for the info its on the way

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 15, 2011, 03:43 PM »
Up date !I can tell you it's not the 18v dewalt snapped the drive out of it ,now its just a 18v motor with a handle!!

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline dustytrails

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:03 PM »
I picked up  Ridgid on ebay for just under $100 its a 24v lithium with 615 pounds of torque

Offline WkendJigger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater fishin' RULEZ!!!!
« Reply #88 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:54 PM »
DONT BUY A CHEAP DRILL!!!!!! HAD a Porter Cable 18V NiCad with the high tourqe setting, Bought the adapter... had to mill it down to fit my older Mora 7" collapsable. Boy was I excited when I got on the ice to try it! FINALLY!! No more hand-cranking!! After 4 holes drill started smoking!  >:( The ice was only 8"-10"! Granted a 7" auger was a lil big BUT I think a better quality drill would have worked better. Unfortunately what it would cost for a Dewalt or Makita Li-Ion you could find a good used gas auger. If your concerned about weight and gas power check into IceGator electric augers.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #89 on: Feb 15, 2011, 07:04 PM »

Last week I was walking through Cabelas E-Hartford and there was a pile of Nils both 6" and 8". The 6" were marked $90 something and the 8" were $111.95. It looked like all the left-over Nils from someones warehouse were being dumped.
Leave Some For Seed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.