Author Topic: whats the best inexpensive drill to buy for my auger  (Read 12144 times)

Offline acnicholson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: whats the best inexpensive drill to buy for my auger
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2011, 02:59 PM »
Hey, is that you? Sorry if I can't remember your name, I'm bad on names. If so welcome to iceshanty, best ice site online.

I made a little modification on those jigs you showed me you made. Check them out, I am thinking maybe they will make a slight rattle or clinking noise since the eyes hang loose and move. Gona give them a try this Sat at the trny on Maxinkukee. You going to go? I'll be out from the ramp around the 19'hole. Was gona go to Nyona Today but didn't make it. Gona have to remake a few more of the left one, its to dark trying to get that slurple look.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thats my uncle.  I fish with him all the time though.  He is using a 6 in. lazer.  We finally drained the battery last weekend in one outing but it took 30 holes to do it.  We will be out on nyona tomorrow morning.  Not too sure which end though.  Nice looking baits.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:41 PM »
Thats my uncle.  I fish with him all the time though.  He is using a 6 in. lazer.  We finally drained the battery last weekend in one outing but it took 30 holes to do it.  We will be out on nyona tomorrow morning.  Not too sure which end though.  Nice looking baits.

He said he thought he had the site so I thought it was him. Talked to him Monday and told him about the trny, didn't know if he remembered. He talked like he may go. For what auger he uses, every time I see him this winter hes useing the blue Mora. Said he didn't like the lazer cause it more or less screws or threads down thru the ice to fast, harder to control when it breaks thru the bottom. He said he liked the Mora better cause its easier to controll. I also have both but when I get my setup I think I will just use the 6" Mora, my Lazer is 7". Speed drilling is not a factor with me. GL Sat at Nyona. Tell you uncle that spot I was fishing Mon is a good one, at least it was that eve. The gills rolled in and I caught serveral nice ones.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline jknep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:07 PM »
I've been using a Craftsman 19.2 volt for 3 years now and have had no problems with it. I use a six inch Mora and can get around 20-25 holes in 10" of ice. You have to keep your blades sharp though.
Then maybe I got a bad one. But my blades where right out of the wrapper. 2nd hole the 18 volt ni cad Craftsman was smoking pretty good and slowed way down. So I tried the other battery and same thing. Switched to my brother's 18 volt ni cad Bosch and away it went. 

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 05, 2011, 06:16 PM »
I used a 18 volt dewalt xrp hammerdrill,nicad battery for two years and loved it.6 inch mora with good swedish blades and drills like butter.get the handle on the front of the drill .you can get batteries at Lowe's and home depot for 2 for 99 bucks sometimes.Check toolking.com for a new refurb one ,with one year warranty.I made my own adapter,and you can use the drill for work also.Dont waste your money on a cheap drill,they just wont cut it,and then you will be out that money.I had bicep tendinitis,and had two of these drills for work.keep sharp blades and it all good.
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2011, 04:01 PM »
Since when does Craftsman offer a lifetime warranty on their power tools?  Asa far as I know, they offer free replacement on hand tools, not power tools. You might want to check on that one. Heck they gave me flack when I went to exchange a broken tape measure! Don't buy one thinking you will get a free replacement, because that ain't gonna happen! I can't tell you how much I hate Crapsman tools. They used to be great, now everything in the store is from China ... total crap. Now they have made many changes to the so called lifetime warranties, so I've found out, the hard way.

The only company I know offering free lifetime replacement of batteries is Ridgid tools from Home Crapo ...
You're right, I checked into it.  They won't offer a lifetime warranty on the NiCD.  They do on the LiIon drill, except the batteries.  I have several routers from them, and they all carry a lifetime warranty, as well. 

Offline deadeyechris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:15 PM »
i have a18 volt Milwaukee and i mostly use it  with a 4 1/2 inch nils. any one will tell you the nils augers drill with much less effort  . i hand made my adapter 3 years ago it is a direct drive .no problems with this set up i can get 70 plus holes in 12 inch thick ice no problem , i also use a six inch nils auger and can only get about about 30- 40 holes. it is a hammer drill i do think they are what you want as they are built better . i also think using a nils auger requires a lot less power resulting in you drill lasting. i own a lazer and an mora those things really work you compared to the nils. either of those would be a perfect way to destroy most drills in a short amount of time.i fish twice a week and live in pa. the ice is 17 inchs right  now i was out with it fri and it drilled it no problem about 30 holes till the batterie was dead , so this set up is lasting for me.i also am a contractor and use this for work and do agree with the other fellow as the batteries only last so long and really need to be used regularly. and you would probably be happy hand drilling with the nils if you tried it. then after you have  the nils ,if you  feel you have to then get the cheep drill and it might have a chance of working awhile for you .

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:39 PM »
I own a 7" Lazer and a 6" Mora. I like the Lazer but I'd still give both of them up for just one 6" Nils ... they are the king. A 6" Nils with a direct drive adaptor and my 36v Bosch would be the ULTIMATE setup. No sacrafices there ...

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:49 PM »
I really appreciate all the input. Like I said, I have a gas strikemaster but with all the other equipment(viking 2man,UW Cam, Vex, minnow bucket, etc...). I just can't pull the load anymore with the gas auger and the hand auger bothers my back/shoulder. I am looking for other routes and that only leave the drill. One thing for sure, next year I will have a big drill. I see many used one sell at auctions but didn't have a need before now so I never bid on one.

Hay man I like your posts they are good but could you swat that dam bug????

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2011, 11:02 PM »
  I have several routers from them, and they all carry a lifetime warranty, as well. 
That warranty is not exactly what it appears.
You will get a refurbished replacement for a nominal fee.
I know because I have used the warranty.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #39 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:51 AM »
You're right, I checked into it.  They won't offer a lifetime warranty on the NiCD.  They do on the LiIon drill, except the batteries.  I have several routers from them, and they all carry a lifetime warranty, as well. 

I do not recommend Craftsman power tools whatsoever ... there's a reason why you won't find Craftsman power tools any job sites. Most people that work in the construction trades for a living know better.

Not sure what you mean by a lifetime warranty, as they only have that for their hand tools.  Although you can PURCHASE an extended warranty, there's a huge difference, that is completely different. They used to make good tools, but that's ancient history ... now all they sell is Chinese junk. Everyone knows that they don't even make their own tools, so you really never know what you're getting anymore.  I used to really like Craftsman, but all that has changed in the past 10 years for the worse.  I just don't buy Chinese Kmart tools!
Like I said before, I broke my $18 tape measure ... a Crapsman, and when I went to get a new one, they told me only certain things are covered and they won't just hand me a new one.  The spring broke, they told me that they can break from normal wear and tear, and that's not covered under the Sears warranty. Lifetime Warranty? What a joke! ::)

http://c.sears.com/assets/war/CRW.pdf

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:19 AM »
i had just tried my 18v skill this weekend started with nicad battery couldnt cut 1 hole switched to the lithium could not cut 1 hole so the skill is a bust  i guess i will have to service my gas jiffy and put up with the extra weight

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 07, 2011, 12:30 PM »
AFAIK, the only manufacturer that had any kind of "lifetime" warrenty was Rigid - but even that's changed.  When I bought my drill/batts a few years ago I had all the paperwork for a lifetime warrenty of both batteries and the drill.

I finally got a set of bad cells in the one pack, and took it back to HD to make good on the warrenty where I was greeted with a "Oh, we don't do that anymore...".

They were most displeased when I showed them the original paperwork that stated it was a "lifetime" warrenty on both the drill and batts, and sent the pack back in to get  fixed.  Got it back in about 2 weeks.

I think the current Rigid warrenty is now 3 years, not unlimited. 

Buying a cheap drill for something like this is just a bad idea - a little extra money for a solid brand (Milwaukee, old Rigid, Bosche, etc) will go a long way into not killing your drill in a season.  Also keeping the auger size under 6" will help emensely also.

Mine a NiCad, haven't had any issues yet - though I do keep the batts in my coat and they are heavy compared to the new LithIon.  When they finally stop warrentying the drill/batts, I get a different one.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:05 PM »
That was a similar response from Sears when I went in with my broken tape measure,"We don't do that anymore" I replied, "So you're telling me that when I purchased this, it had a "lifetime" warranty, but now it doesn't? How exactly does that compute???" They responded with B.S. ... telling me they had too many returns and they were losing money. I couldn't believe my ears. So basically they got rid of their warranty or changed the parameters to suite their needs, all because they cheapened their tools by having everything made in China and sell us junk tools for the same price, then realize they can't stand behind such poor quality and still make money ... so in the end the customer loses.

I used to LOVE Craftsman tools ... now you couldn't PAY me to use them. I will never buy another tool from Sears. Craftsman tries to give an image of quality craftsmanship, American pride ... now it's a total joke.

So if you want to buy cheap Chinese junk, go right ahead and buy from Sears.

Sorry for the ranting, but this just makes me angry to no end! >:(

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:15 PM »
you need to understand sears has 2 line of tools proffesional and the ones that are in the store there is a difference.

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:46 PM »
you need to understand sears has 2 line of tools proffesional and the ones that are in the store there is a difference.
So who sells the professional line, if they are not in the store?
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:11 PM »
sears catalog only

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:36 PM »

I was at Sears last week, talked to the Rep. On the 19.2 lithium it comes with a 1 yr limited warranty. Which he said that means if it fails they look at it and decide if they will replace it or not. He also said they sell a 2 yr warranty that starts the day you buy the drill. And if the drill fails in those 2 yrs its replace no questions. There was no lifetime warranty on this drill, no idea about any of the others.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Philover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:25 AM »
May as well add my .02, I live in Indiana and fish Maxi and Bass. For years I have never used anything larger than a 5" auger and have had no problems getting any fish through that hole. 3 years ago, I started using a Firestorm, NiCad, 18v drill and was happy with it most of the time. Extreme cold would drain a battery pretty quick. Finally, this year the battery's gave up. Did a lot of research and ended up buying the 1/2" Ridgid hammer drill with 18v lithium-ion batteries. A bit pricey for some, but they DO still offer LIFETIME WARRANTY on all parts, batteries, labor, etc. You just need to register it. I like the side handle on the drill for added stability, and so far, I have not even come close to draining 1 battery, let alone getting to the second one. And I use this drill for putting in and taking out all 8 anchors on the 4 man pop-up. (I welded up a jig to fit the anchors) Plus it drills all holes for two of us to fish through. I read somewhere on this site where someone decided to see how many holes could be drilled with one battery charge and they came up with 99. I don't recall the size of the hole or the thickness of the ice, but still, that's alot of holes. I do have an 8" gas auger for really thick ice and for pike fishing, but my 5" auger and ridgid drill is my go to rig. I found one on sale at home depot for 220, pricey, yes, but I get a lot of use out it the rest the year as well.
Phil

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:21 AM »
I made one of these power packs and use the Sears 19.2v 410 ftlb torque drill. There is NO comparison between the home made power pack and the supplied battery. Like the guys thread title suggests, it's as if you turbo charged the drill.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=46395

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #49 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:56 AM »
No matter what drill you use, even in first gear (lowest gear ratio) most drills are still @ around 400-500 rpms. That's one of the reasons I bought an Ice Kicker II (gearbox type drill adaptor) which has a 2:1 gear ratio. Now when I pull the trigger I get  225 rpms instead of 450.

When I first tried using a drill with an auger many years ago I used a straight shaft type drill adaptor. I noticed that my auger cut better not just on the slowest speed, but also when I "feathered" the trigger to slow it down. I also noticed that the batteries drain at the same speed either at full pull on the trigger or half way. That's when I found the Ice Kicker II online and knew that was the answer I was looking for, so I bought one. Man what a difference!  Less wear and tear on the drill, the batteries lasted much longer, I got twice as many holes with it to boot!

I just thought I would mention that as well for something to think about.  If you saw my video at the beginning of this thread, then you have seen it in action with my 7" lazer and Bosch 36v drill.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:43 PM »
I made one of these power packs and use the Sears 19.2v 410 ftlb torque drill. There is NO comparison between the home made power pack and the supplied battery. Like the guys thread title suggests, it's as if you turbo charged the drill.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=46395

I made your link clickable. You have to highlight the link then click the "insert Hyperlink" or earth looking icon above to make the link clickable.

I looked at the link and it looks like a great setup to get more power to your drill.

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Thanks Musky8bit. I've got it hooked to a six inch Lazer and it goes all day long without slowing down.

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:53 PM »
I was at Sears last week, talked to the Rep. On the 19.2 lithium it comes with a 1 yr limited warranty. Which he said that means if it fails they look at it and decide if they will replace it or not. He also said they sell a 2 yr warranty that starts the day you buy the drill. And if the drill fails in those 2 yrs its replace no questions. There was no lifetime warranty on this drill, no idea about any of the others.
That's different info than I got from the guy here.  He said the drill itself is covered, the batteries are one year, with option of buying a 2 year.

Offline acnicholson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:41 AM »
musky8it, 
Did you get my email last night about the adapter.  I don't have enough posts to reply to a PM.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 09, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Been looking for a week for best drill for my money, here's what I am buying.

Home Depot has a 18v Ridgid for $199 in the stores and online, but online they also have the same drill as a Promo deal for $99(its not a refurbished either). Same drill with charger and one battery. Here's the link incase anyone wants to check it out.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202546811/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=r86007n&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search#
here is the same drill link they sell in the stores for $199.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100593257/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

To check it out I called Ridgid and talked to a Rep. I ask the Rep about the drill and the warranty.
The Ridgid Rep explained to me their warranty. In order to get the lifetime warranty you have to buy a kit with includes minium a drill, charger, and battery. And you must register the drill for warranty, which included sending them a copy of the receipt and UPC label off the box and you must buy it from Home Depot. Any drill you buy from ebay or any other place is not covered. Just a drill alone with no charger or battery does not get the lifetime warranty. If you just buy a drill you only get a 3 yr warranty.

The Rep also told me the Promo drill is suppose to have 2 batteries included, the discription at Home Depot only says one battery. She looked at Home Depots discription and told me if I buy the drill and only one battery is included to call her back and she will send me the 2nd battery. The Rep talked to her Supervisor to comfirm it.

So I am ordering the drill right after I post this and I will post later if Ridgid sends me a 2nd battery.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:08 PM »
i am going to try one more time i just bought a 20v sears proffesional hammer drill 540 in/lbs torque if this doesnt drill thru the ice i dont believe any will this has a heavy duty clutch system. any thoughts

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:30 PM »
i am going to try one more time i just bought a 20v sears proffesional hammer drill 540 in/lbs torque if this doesnt drill thru the ice i dont believe any will this has a heavy duty clutch system. any thoughts

Since I have never used this setup I can't give much help, just my opinion from what I have read and talking to someone I know who fishes everyday and drills allot of holes(he uses a Craftsman 18 or 24v Lith and has no problems so far). First you have to have Lithium batteries, 2nd you should use 5-6" auger or less, and third use a auger that doesn't take big bites, like the Lazer. The bigger the bite the harder its on the drill. So the 5 or 6" Mora to me would work best, it takes smaller bites so drill doesn't have to work as hard and it may not need as much power. And last take your time. Don't put allot of pressure, pulse action or light pressure, its not a race. I would rather take a minute to drill a hole and save my drill than pushing hard to cut one in 20 secs. All my advise may be bull, its just my opinion. I will find out in a week when I get my drill.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:09 PM »
THANKS FOR THE ADVISE I AM USING A MORA 7 INCH BUT NEXT YEAR I THINK I AM GOING TO BUY A NILS 5 INCH THE DRILL I BOUGHT IS LITH BATT. I TRIED WITH A SKILL 18 V LITH NOT 1 HOLE .

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 09, 2011, 08:25 PM »
That Rigid looks like the little brother to the one I'm using. 

Mine's the older 1/2" chuck hammer drill with 2.5A Nicads.  It just throws ice with my 6" Swedish Lazer.

After seeing the performance that some guys are getting with the 5" augers, it's making me wish I had gotten the next size down.  Maybe a Nils next year... 

Offline jknep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:41 PM »
littlehead, my uncle bought the same drill a few weeks ago. It works well. He has a 6inch lazer and gets about 25 - 30 holes in 1 foot of ice. It feels allot better made than my 18 volt lith ion Hitachi.  But since I got my 6 inch Nils we leave the drills at home. Drilled 9 holes one right after the other, no breaks and no sweat in 12 inches of ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.