Author Topic: Strangest thing caught through the ice and other weird ice fishing tales  (Read 12555 times)

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
The strangest thing I caught thru the ice was a one eyed Rock Bass on Clear Lake in Northern Wisconsin.  It sure was an ugly thing. Rock bass are alot of fun to catch.

Rock bass can get up to 14", and in the summer they will rival a LM or SM for fight. Pretty scrappy.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

sfish

I was picking the tip-up's up last yr and found the flag never tripped and the line was all ran out on one of them. Started reeling it in, felt something so I set the hook, pulled in a couple pound bullhead!!

PIKEGUY

My little brother after he fell through years ago

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
Been lurking this site for a year or so now and I think it is one of the nicest, friendliest forums on the web so I figured I would finally register and post.

Strangest thing seen on the ice:  My bud and I were fishing a remote pond on the Massachusetts/New Hampshire border and there was one other group set up at the other end.  My friend says “Hey check out the far shore across from those guys”.  There were two otters sitting at the edge of the ice.  I’m checking them out through the monocular when all of a sudden one of them starts trucking across the ice.  Not the loping kind of run one usually sees from an otter but rather raised up on all fours and full out running.  I looked at the other one and he is jumping up and down and I swear, if it is possible, he was actually clapping his front paws together in excitement.  I turn back to the other one and realize that he is making a b-line for the other groups shiner bucket.  He reaches the bucket and with one deft flick of his paw, swats the lid off the bucket, sticks his head in, grabs a mouth full of minnows, and trucks back to his cheering friend to share his ill gotten booty. :thumbsup:  Later we walked down and chatted with the other group and they agreed that it was about the funniest thing they had ever seen.

Strangest thing through the hole:  A couple of years ago, the nuke plant in Vernon VT was closed down and the Conn. River had frozen much more solidly than normal.  We were able to set traps within twenty yards or so of the main current.  I had to leave to go to work so I didn’t actually see the event but my chief fishing bud and several others along with pictures attest to the facts of what happened next.  A flag goes up and the person who got to the whole first screams that it is taking line like crazy.  It finally stops with just a few raps left on the spool.  The guy sets the hook and says “This thing is fighting like crazy!”.  At the same time, a group of mergansers out in the main current start raising a raucous.  Yep, you guessed it, a merganser had taken the bait.  They managed to hall the bird up through the whole, remove the hook, and set him free.

Well there are two of my best hard water stories.

Pray for ice,

Capt.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Capt.   sent you a PM

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
Hi DD,

I received your E-mail but when I tried to reply I get this message

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't read your personal messages.

I also get an error message when I try to look at member profiles.  If there is a moderator lurking I would appreciate some guidence on this.

To answer your question, I'm in Greenfield Ma.  Feel free to E-mail me at [email protected]

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

hali-man

Welcome Capt.
I think you have to post a certain # of times (4?) for those functions to work.
Try it after you post again.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
Thanks Hali-man.

Working now.

Capt.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
I was ice fishing my hometown lake when I saw this big yellow thing floating above the illand I was fishing behind. I peeked aroud the island saw a Jeep cheroke pulling a parasail around the lake. They were taking off the ice w/ skis on their feet. It looked like a lot of fun. ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
i was fishin for coho at michigan city ten years ago. was jiggin and felt a slushy bump. i set the hook on a condom.  also while bass fishin a private lake i hooked a tonka truck. both of this items were released on shore.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline GSP_Pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That’s why they call it fishing.
An old soggy, mucky leather boot.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
Still waiting for someone to post a picture of   ice suspended over an entire lake that had the water.dropped. EVERYONE claims to have seen it yet a picture doesn't exist...

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
since you dredged this thread back up.  i have caught a jacket, rod n reel and 2 plastic bags, that i remember in the last 16 years. lmao
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A buddy of mine once hooked a muskrat in the back on a quickstrike rigged tip-up.
Thought he had a Whopper of a fish on at first.
I hooked a pike once with a radio telemetry tag in it. Had to return the tag to fish and game office.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Still waiting for someone to post a picture of   ice suspended over an entire lake that had the water.dropped. EVERYONE claims to have seen it yet a picture doesn't exist...
The only time I saw it, the ice wasn't suspended, it totally collapsed and made steep slippery ice slopes down to the river channel which was flowing strong.
Sorry no pics.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
missoula - i've seen a picture.  it was a small beaver pond next to a skidoo trail close to home.  dam must have let go and the ice was held up about 4ft high by the few trees on the edge of the pond, pretty crazy.  it also happens on a very large resevoir around here too, talked to a few guys that drilled into air and nearly shat their pants  ;D

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
I caught a full can of 7-Up on a tipup. Flag popped, line ran. I pulled tight, set the hook and started handlining. My buddy mounted it on a slab of 1x8 as a trophy for me
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac

They more or less closed an entire lake in ND due to the risk of that.  Don't really believe it's possible either

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
Once bent over the hole and my forceps fell in. A second or two later I felt a hit and pulled up my jig that hooked the forceps by the thumb hole.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Strangest thing for me was a mud puppy on Sacandaga Reservoir.

2 years ago I had a big male fisher cat come out on the ice and pay me a visit.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
I caught a pair of sweatpants last week. I bounced the bottom and snagged them.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
^ were they the right size?  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.