Author Topic: Rescue Equipment for Slush  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Rescue Equipment for Slush
« on: Dec 17, 2023, 03:19 PM »
Here is a picture of some of the rescue equipment I carry on the snowmobile in case of getting stuck in the slush.  The rope puller-winch (maasdam) is the key ingredient. The green piece with the clevis in the middle is needed as an anchor to put down an ice hole to winch too.  The pulley can be used if necessary to double the pulling power.  The extra rope can be used as needed. Not pictured is the collapsible shovel which can be used to dig yourself out, among many other uses.  With this equipment you can get out of about anything, but it may take some time.

Offline Trident13

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rescue Equipment for Slush
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2023, 06:43 PM »
Thanks for posting. Do you need to tie an additional piece of rope to one end of the green anchor to get it to turn sideways to remove it from the hole?

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2023, 07:53 PM »
While it is probably overpriced for what it is, I grabbed one of these Arctic Anchors this year.  Similar to your green anchor you have.  Just fyi for others interested in something like it.

https://arcticanchor.com/

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2023, 06:51 AM »
Thanks for posting. Do you need to tie an additional piece of rope to one end of the green anchor to get it to turn sideways to remove it from the hole?

I use a length of kite string and tie it on one end in order to get it out of the hole (should have mentioned that).  I always leave the string attached, but took it off before taking the picture in order to replace the string. The green anchor is a piece
 of a steel fence post I cut to length.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2023, 07:05 AM »
While it is probably overpriced for what it is, I grabbed one of these Arctic Anchors this year.  Similar to your green anchor you have.  Just fyi for others interested in something like it.

That looks to be a lite unit and handy to store with it's own carrying case.

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2023, 09:09 AM »

I bought one a couple years ago and it's pretty slick. Have only had to use it once but it worked great for getting my UTV out of slush. I originally thought about rigging up a DIY version like to pic above but this one has a working load limit of 8K and a breaking limit of 10K; I didn't figure I could safely DIY something with those limits.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2023, 07:40 PM »
I bought one a couple years ago and it's pretty slick. Have only had to use it once but it worked great for getting my UTV out of slush. I originally thought about rigging up a DIY version like to pic above but this one has a working load limit of 8K and a breaking limit of 10K; I didn't figure I could safely DIY something with those limits.
Great to hear that it works!  Figured for $100, it was cheap insurance to self-rescue if(when) I get stuck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.