Author Topic: Problem catching walleyes?  (Read 11045 times)

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Problem catching walleyes?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:32 AM »
Birds fly south I fly north. No ice in atlanta I was stationed there for 4 years and I am back home in PA now.
Spent three years at Benning, and three more in Columbus. Was just joking about Lanier. Good striper Lake though.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:14 AM »
I don't use tip-up's but I do jig regularly for them.Do well on the jigging Rapala's.I change the small treble hook and replace it with a larger one.Usually size 8 Laser Sharp.Use just the head of the minnow for it will give your lure better action and when the fish strikes you get better hooksets.Also like to spray the lure with some type fish formula(like anise or Yum shad).Will use two poles and jig the other with a large flashy spoon like Castmaster,Pimple,or Little Cleo.(again just using the minnow head)Tends to attract them well.When the fish are aggressive they will usually hammer the spoon.The Rapala works a little better when the fish are finicky.

Also like to use "light" fluorocarbon line ...6lb test... with no swivel,just a small snap. Fish Lake Erie a lot and catch numerous 8-12lb fish.You will lose a finger if you try to "lip" one of these walleyes. :'(
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2007, 02:43 PM »
anybody use fireline or other superbraids for walleyes

Offline Fishbio824

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2007, 07:39 AM »
im all for flourocarbon leaders. Never tried fireline or braided but dont like the sound of it. Try and make the rig "invisable". I use a six lb flourocarbon with size 8 octopus hooks.

Offline Fishbio824

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Ok i figured out how to catch them now i just got a problem catching keepers.  Anyone have any ideas?

I catch the big walleyes at a totally different depth range than the younger ones. During first ice, dont expect adult walleyes to be in the deepest parts. They will only be there late in the season.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #35 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:24 AM »
I use mono #8 usually Fluorocarbon on 2nd line tail hook a live minnow piece of power bait keep the minnow on.never use a leader or snap tie direct with polmar knot.I dont trust snap swivels. :o :P

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 17, 2007, 07:57 PM »
I have found a lot of the drops are due to the fish feeling the resistance of the tip up spool.  Make sure the line comes off of your tip up with very little resistance. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.