The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: eskimo augers  (Read 1727 times)

Offline izmir

• IceShanty Rookie
eskimo augers
« on: Mar 19, 2019, 01:30 PM »
Buying a new Eskimo propane auger. I see there is two  different models. There is the 10in HC40 and a 10in P1 rocket. Both have the same motors. One is lighter. I want to buy the best one. Thanks for any help on this. I know no one that has either.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: eskimo augers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2019, 12:18 PM »
i can't help....but i love my new P-1 8 inch propane !over 200 holes in the first bottle !!
I am haunted by waters...

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2019, 11:03 AM »
I think the Rocket has a different transmission and also a different cutting head,  supposed to turn faster and cut faster, I have a 8" gas rocket and it cuts quite well

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2019, 12:43 PM »
I'm not a fan of propane augers because of our cold weather but I would think the lighter one would be better???
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2019, 01:20 PM »
I've used my propane auger in 20 below temps. I just put the bottle inside my jacket on the ride out to my spot to keep it semi warm and it does fine
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline WelderMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2019, 02:42 PM »
I have the HC40 and my Buddy has the P1 Rocket and he likes my HC40 better. P1 does have a different gear and does turn faster but he thinks my slower turning HC40 cuts better. P1 also has an on off ball valve for the propan and is a little lighter.My Buddies leaks a small amount of propane the whole time a bottle is attached. Eskimo customer service sent him another valve assembly but it does the same thing so he lives with it. Owned my HC40 for 3 years with no issues.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2019, 03:44 PM »
I have the HC40 and my Buddy has the P1 Rocket and he likes my HC40 better. P1 does have a different gear and does turn faster but he thinks my slower turning HC40 cuts better. P1 also has an on off ball valve for the propan and is a little lighter.My Buddies leaks a small amount of propane the whole time a bottle is attached. Eskimo customer service sent him another valve assembly but it does the same thing so he lives with it. Owned my HC40 for 3 years with no issues.
How much does that HC40 weigh?

Offline WelderMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2019, 04:03 PM »
Think its 34# on the HC and the P1 is like 28#. Him and I both use 10in augers.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2019, 04:21 PM »
I’m looking at the Strikemaster 40V
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2019, 04:33 PM »
I’m looking at the Strikemaster 40V
If you’re looking at just electrics, do it. The strike master is above and beyond the ion. My buddy out drills me 2 to 1 with his strike master.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2019, 04:35 PM »
Think its 34# on the HC and the P1 is like 28#. Him and I both use 10in augers.
Thanks for the info. I am looking into auger options for next year. I want something light but has enough power to drill thru 3’ of ice. I like my ion but it struggles in this thick ice...

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. I am looking into auger options for next year. I want something light but has enough power to drill thru 3’ of ice. I like my ion but it struggles in this thick ice...

I haven't experienced any power issues with the Strikemaster and thick ice, even with layers of water and slush. The only problems I've had drilling through thick ice is needing an extension. The bit is only 30" long. I'm using my Nils with it's 40" bit to drill through the last few inches.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2019, 04:48 PM »
I haven't experienced any power issues with the Strikemaster and thick ice, even with layers of water and slush. The only problems I've had drilling through thick ice is needing an extension. The bit is only 30" long. I'm using my Nils with it's 40" bit to drill through the last few inches.
I was talking about my ion struggling but you’re right the strike master doesn’t seem to struggle with thick ice as I’ve watched my buddy drill holes no prob.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2019, 05:04 PM »
I can’t fathom why anyone except those in the extreme north (auger extension land) would purchase fossil fuel powered augers.  Are you serious?  Why?  The fossil fuel augers are going by the way of the dinosaur really, really fast.  If I owned one, I’d be trying to unload it pronto.  The electrics (of all ilks) have proven to be very capable, and generally speaking, much lighter and more reliable.  It’s shocking to me reading about anyone actually still pining for a gasoline or propane auger...  Make the jump to the 21st century people.  LifePO4 is the future of augers.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2019, 06:18 PM »
The big unknown with electric augers is frequency of battery replacement. A new Strikemaster battery costs $225. My old Jiffy used 3-4 gallons of gas per year. A replacement battery is the same cost as 40+ years of fuel and  2 cycle oil. That can be enough reason for some people to stick with fossi fuel powered augers.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2019, 06:20 PM »
RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST. 32" OF ICE
     Once you have had a chance to use one of the Electric you will wish you had not wasted your money on a propane or gas auger. Watch the video again,, You can drill all winter and screw all summer...

Offline conesca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2019, 07:48 PM »
I agree with Woodchip!  I have a Milwaukee Fuel with a High Output 12.0 battery and Nils 8" drill.   Goes through ice like nothing I've used before.   Everyone that has tried it is more than impressed. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.