The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Eskimo Mako 43cc Experience?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Fishingwithmyboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo Mako 43cc Experience?
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:20 PM »
So, broke the plastic grip on my hand auger and convinced my wife it couldn't be replaced  ;D.  I am looking at the Eskimo Mako 43cc Quantam gas auger.  It is my first gas auger and seems reasonably priced.  The reviews are mostly favorable.  Anyone here have experience with this auger? 

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo Mako 43cc Experience?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:25 PM »
have had one for 3 years with no problems, cuts good, and starts easy. Might not be the fastest or lightest, but allways gets the job done. Will say i enjoy using it alot more than my uncles jiffy 30 ;)

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:51 PM »
I have the z51.  It just turned 6 and besides a new gas tank, it has been great.  It is a little heavy and I would consider a smaller model next time.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:10 PM »
I just got a new one this season.  Starts very easily and runs like a striped-a*s ape.  My last auger was a 1980's Strikemaster Magnum III.  The Mako has 13 more cc's of displacement and runs at a higher RPM.  It also has twin curved Quantum blades vs. my old auger's single chipper blade.  It cuts ice like crazy!

And Eskimo's customer service is excellent.  I ordered my auger from Amazon.  The box arrived pretty beat up and the auger's plastic airbox and airbox cover were broken.  I filled out Eskimo's online customer service form that evening and planned on calling them the next day.  The next morning, I had a response by e-mail telling me they were sending out the replacement parts that day.  I got them two days later.  I never had to pick up the phone.

I didn't get to fish today due to high winds, but I took the auger out of the car and started it just for the heck of it.  I pumped the primer bulb until the bulb was full, then two more times and put on the choke.  One easy pull and it fired right up.  I like this auger and I'm happy I bought it.  The ice got thick quickly here in upstate NY this season and although my FinBore III cranks through it easily, the Mako does it much easier and makes a bigger hole.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:51 AM »
So, broke the plastic grip on my hand auger and convinced my wife it couldn't be replaced  ;D.  I am looking at the Eskimo Mako 43cc Quantam gas auger.  It is my first gas auger and seems reasonably priced.  The reviews are mostly favorable.  Anyone here have experience with this auger?

I've had this model for three seasons.  Broke the starter cord this winter and had to order another recoil assembly.  Other than that, it has been reliable.  My only complaint is that it is really heavy and lugging it around can be a pain.  If I had to do it again, I'd go with a cordless drill and auger combo. 

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:35 AM »
I switched from hand crank 4 1/2 inch fin bor for perch and a nils powered tanaka 6" for flat fish to a 20V dewalt driven fin bor 6" for everything. Best move I ever made. I can dig all day on 1 battery and have never had it fail or run out of juice. No more gas, frozen gas lines or broken pull cords.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:21 AM »
I switched from hand crank 4 1/2 inch fin bor for perch and a nils powered tanaka 6" for flat fish to a 20V dewalt driven fin bor 6" for everything. Best move I ever made. I can dig all day on 1 battery and have never had it fail or run out of juice. No more gas, frozen gas lines or broken pull cords.
Agreed.  I bought a battery powered auger years ago and it was the best piece of fishing gear I've ever bought.  It's light weight, quiet, cuts through 12" of ice in literally seconds and like CI said, you don't have to deal with all of the problems associated with a gas powered motor.  Also, the price is about the same.  I don't want to knock gas powered augers, there are some nice ones out there, just something to consider.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:42 AM »
I've had mine about 6 years, broke the throttle assembly getting parts was not easy. It cuts well,
i use a 10 inch hole fishing Willy for a big one. I weighs a lot less then the model 30 I had and not
getting any younger. I may get a 8 inch bit at some point.   

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Had the Z51 for about 6 years now. Other than replacing the pull cord......no issues. Starts in 1-2 pulls everytime. Note- I only use non ethanol gas or the premixed gas in a can.

Only compaint is the weight of it!

Next auger will be an Ion
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Great augers have had mine for 8 seasons haven’t replaced anything but the gas tank (factory issue) which they sent me for free with new fuel lines and filter. Excellent customer service

Offline Fishingwithmyboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:36 AM »
Thanks everyone!  It should be here by Tuesday, just in time because I'll be heading out on the ice on Wednesday.   :tipup:

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:20 PM »
I bought one last year and never had an issue. Got it for a really good deal off Amazon. I put in into my shed with gas and everything in it, took it out at the end of December, and started with one pull.

Offline Fishingwithmyboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:41 PM »
Came in the mail today.  Filled it up, pumped the primer, started on the first pull.  Tomorrow will be my first time on the ice with it.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Came in the mail today.  Filled it up, pumped the primer, started on the first pull.  Tomorrow will be my first time on the ice with it.

Best of luck to you!  I had my new Mako out yesterday and cut 34 holes with it.  I think it used less than 1/4 tank of fuel.   ;D

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:05 PM »
They’re definitely great on gas!!

Offline Cousteau

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:03 PM »
I've had an older Mako for about 15 years. No problems until this year. Won't stay running. After draining gas and removing/cleaning carb a few times with varying results, I finally ordered a new carb for the Tecumseh Tec300 engine today. Must be something in the tiny carb I can't get to. But it's been a great machine.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:48 PM »
I just got one of these today and it started on the first pull and worked great. I would have liked a battery powered ion but not at twice the price.

Offline Cousteau

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:05 PM »
Update. New carb and tank and old Mako is like new again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.