Author Topic: Marcum Lithium Shuttle released  (Read 16915 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Marcum Lithium Shuttle released
« Reply #30 on: Oct 13, 2017, 01:49 PM »
i found where to get the replacement 12 volt 12 amp hour battery for when you need a new one. you only get so many chargers before needing to replace them. they are 130$ if you want to do the work or 140$ if you want them to install it.
the charger, should it burn out some day or get lost, is 40$

here is the link for the battery:
https://shop.marcumtech.com/product/lithium-shuttle-battery-replacement/

per item costs are:
battery is 130$
charger is 40$
shuttle is 55$ when using the 10% discount code.
that's 170$ with out the shuttle.
buying the combo means a free shuttle. you only pay for the battery and charger.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 14, 2017, 01:12 PM »
how hard would they be to change during a trip on the ice do you think?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Oct 14, 2017, 04:18 PM »
it is rated for up to 40 hours and you can charge it in your vehicle or a/c outlet, but if you had to change it, it has 17 screws under it holding the bottom plate on.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 14, 2017, 06:12 PM »
Thanks 3300. I will be interested to see how long it lasts with an lx7 or 9 at 50% backlight. Big difference in run times on a flasher versus an 8" Lx screen.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Oct 14, 2017, 06:25 PM »
i could turn it on and just let it run to find out if you want to know. i might have to aim a security camera onto it in case i'm not watching it when it dies.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 14, 2017, 06:42 PM »
i could turn it on and just let it run to find out if you want to know. i might have to aim a security camera onto it in case i'm not watching it when it dies.
I wouldn't turn down the offer. If you do, could you put the ducer in some water and run it as well. You have a 9 right? 50% back light and I use the night mode on the settings. If you get 30 hours or more, I may have to pick up a couple of shuttles. Thanks! :bow:

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Oct 14, 2017, 07:39 PM »
working on charging to 100% first. yep, it's a 9. why would you want the transducer in water?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
test one:
started at 1am on 10/15/17
50% back light.
demo mode.
first charge on the battery.

update 2:
12 hours in and the battery indicator says 57% remaining.

update 3:
it shut down and had 15% battery left at 9pm.
i know your not supposed to run this type of battery down to zero voltage, so some thing told it to quit before then. it should be a bms circuit preventing damage from over discharge.

so it had a 20 hour continuous run time with the 50% back light and in demo mode.
(end of test one)

i don't run mine that bright and only use it on 10% near sunset and it stays at 10% for the rest of the time on ice.
being marcum said up to 40 hours, it must mean with the digital screens set to a minimum and the lx6 would be a smaller screen to draw less energy. their claim maybe for their mechanical flashers and not their digital sonars. flashers go a long time on a single charge with sla batteries.

i'll probably run another test with it on 10% back light next. back lights are what kill our phones and tablets batteries the most.
the battery is on the charger again.
test 2:
started @ 10am on10/16/17.
not in demo mode.
ice mode.
12 sensitivity.
20 degree cone angle.
0 target separation.
0 ir.
10% back light.

update on test 2:
12 hours in.
73% battery remaining.

update 2 on test 2:
24 hours in.
44% battery remaining.
so it's used 29% to run 12 hours non stop usage on this phase.

final update:
29 hours in and the unit shut off.
so it gained another 9 hours turning the back light down to 10% from 50%. yet another test might prove that turning the back light up to 100% would loose 9 hours from the 20 hour 50% back light test.
it's not the claimed 40 hours marcum said it can get up to, so i suspect that claim to be for their older tech, that uses less energy like their mechanical flashers.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 14, 2017, 08:27 PM »
 Probably doesn’t need to be in water. Just as long as it is in use, because I assume a lot of your battery power is directed to it. For some reason I have always been uncomfortable running my ducer too much out of the water. Probably just a little superstitious And shows my lack of understanding of how they really work on the inside.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:11 AM »
I built a Lithium Ion battery pack for my unit last season. I used 4x LG HG2 3000mAh 18650. I was able to get all four for about 30$ on amazon. The battery pack fits into a small waterproof box. The whole thing fits perfect in a hard-side 6x8 cooler. Weighs about 2lbs, about half the weight of a lead acid battery. Have had it on for over 8hrs without it dying.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Nice work! Please tell us about your light as well!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:34 AM »
Nice work! Please tell us about your light as well!

Its a GloCup. There was a ember on the forums here that made them with a 3D printer. Its completely waterproof. I just drop my glow jig in the cup and it charges up in a few seconds.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:37 AM »
Thanks, I remember reading that thread. Now to find it.

Offline FarNorth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Oct 15, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Thanks, I remember reading that thread. Now to find it.
I bought one last year.  Works great.

https://www.facebook.com/IceJagerCustom/

I contacted him through Facebook.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 15, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Thanks! You guys are great!!!

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Oct 18, 2017, 10:22 AM »
There probably is some misinformation out there and people throwing the 40 number around as that is what they will get on every unit they put the shuttle on. (People only hear what they want to hear sometimes right? haha)  I have heard many people out there saying 40 when everything that I have seen advertised says UP TO 40 hours of continuous use. On the bucket itself, under specs it does say up to 40 hours depending on use, settings, configurations and many other factors. I would think that the up to 40 hours would be for the mechanical flashers as they pull power then the digital series do. I am excited to run my shuttle this year on my 7 and personally I would be happy at 29 hours along with all the other awesome features they incorporated into the shuttle. Tight lines!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 20, 2017, 12:22 AM »
working on charging to 100% first. yep, it's a 9. why would you want the transducer in water?
test one:
50% back light.
demo mode.

update 2:

update 3:
i know your not supposed to run this type of battery down to zero voltage, so some thing told it to quit before then. it should be a bms circuit preventing damage from over discharge.

so it had a 20 hour continuous run time with the 50% back light and in demo mode.
(end of test one)

i don't run mine that bright and only use it on 10% near sunset and it stays at 10% for the rest of the time on ice.
being marcum said up to 40 hours, it must mean with the digital screens set to a minimum and the lx6 would be a smaller screen to draw less energy. their claim maybe for their mechanical flashers and not their digital sonars. flashers go a long time on a single charge with sla batteries.

i'll probably run another test with it on 10% back light next. back lights are what kill our phones and tablets batteries the most.
test 2:
not in demo mode.
ice mode.
12 sensitivity.
20 degree cone angle.
0 target separation.
0 ir.
10% back light.

update on test 2:
12 hours in.
73% battery remaining.

update 2 on test 2:
24 hours in.
44% battery remaining.

final update:
so it gained another 9 hours turning the back light down to 10% from 50%. yet another test might prove that turning the back light up to 100% would loose 9 hours from the 20 hour 50% back light test.
it's not the claimed 40 hours marcum said it can get, so i suspect that claim to be for their older tech, that uses less energy like their mechanical flashers.
29 hours is way more than I expected. Not bad at all!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #46 on: Oct 20, 2017, 06:54 AM »
I was thinking of getting this for my Vexilar FL28.  Will it fit?

this mite be what you want? 100 for 10ah litium battery
https://www.electric-bike-kit.com/12v-lithium-lifepo4-replacement.aspx?gclid=eaiaiqobchmi8ose85d_1givbmsgch3xywyneayyaiabegjdcfd_bwe
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #47 on: Oct 20, 2017, 10:25 AM »
check this LINK if you want that battery and want to save 30$$ on this battery..

Offline rschoenh1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 18, 2017, 01:07 PM »
test one:
50% back light.
demo mode.

update 2:

update 3:

(end of test one)

test 2:
not in demo mode.
ice mode.
12 sensitivity.
20 degree cone angle.
0 target separation.
0 ir.
10% back light.

update on test 2:
12 hours in.
73% battery remaining.

update 2 on test 2:
24 hours in.
44% battery remaining.

final update:
it's not the claimed 40 hours marcum said it can get up to, so i suspect that claim to be for their older tech, that uses less energy like their mechanical flashers.

I did a test on my LX6 to see what results I'd get for run time similar to what 3300 did.   I charged it to 100%, light went to green on the charger, and used the same settings I used last March at the end of the season.

Background was set at 50%.

At 24 hours, I was down to 5%, when it got to 3% it started flashing, so I shut it down.   I restarted the Shuttle and it showed 5% charge left .  So total was a little over 24 hours, not too bad.

At 5% charge, it took about 7 hours to get it back to a full charge.  I periodically checked it, and after about 5 hours, it had 83% charge, another 2 hours to complete it. 

The feel of the Shuttle compared to the old setup felt very light, easier to carry, with no fear of the dropping the transducer.  Don't know how secure additional poles will be in the back, but will play with different "carrying modes" before my first trip out.   Should be fun to use for this ice fishing season.   

I paid $212.49 at FishUSA after using a 15% coupon, with no tax charged.  Still expensive, but a little less painful   They were very easy to deal with and did it over the phone with customer support.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 18, 2017, 02:11 PM »
thanks for joining us!

so based off of your test, the 10% back ground light test setting should be at least another 4 hours compared to the lx7/9 display because of it's smaller size, since you got 4 hours more at 50% back light. should be more than that, but it's safe to assume at least that much more run time.

thanks for taking the time and sharing with us. lots of people read these posts, even if not very many respond.
these topics do show up in search engines and are often the only resource for many.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 18, 2017, 02:13 PM »
Also would like to thank you guys for sharing your findings, interesting to look over the numbers.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Traded an Otter tent for an RT9 and now need to figure out how to increase the run time on it. From what I hear, they suck the juice something fierce!

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:42 PM »
Good info!
Had my lx7 since they came out
What does your voltage say on screen after full charge?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Traded an Otter tent for an RT9 and now need to figure out how to increase the run time on it. From what I hear, they suck the juice something fierce!
i haven't had my hands on one yet, but maybe it has a way to shut off the gps modual. it drains any phone/tablet fast and some chargers can't keep up with the fast draw rate with it on.

Good info!
Had my lx7 since they came out
What does your voltage say on screen after full charge?
12.7 volts. has rested for over 2 weeks.

Also would like to thank you guys for sharing your findings, interesting to look over the numbers.
your welcome. i'm glad we all get some thing from it.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Thanks for the battery test info!

Can you tell us what the weight savings are going from the stock LX-9 in the red marcum case vs the LX-9 & lithium shuttle? (both without the camera bag attached)

I tested the LX-9 weight savings with the older "Ice Force" lithium battery rapala sold and the weight went from the stock 11.4 lbs to 8.6 lbs 

So there was a 2.8 lb weight savings

(For reference, The LX-9 camera bag with camera adds 2.2 lbs)

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Thanks to 3300 for the info,

for those interested in the weight savings (not 100% accurate as a bathroom scale was used):

LX-9 with stock battery in red marcum case = 11.4 lbs

LX-9 on Marcum Lithium Shuttle = 8 lbs

Camera Bag with camera = 3 lbs...

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Funny to see people missing the soft case, I always hated that thing.  Everything is much more secure in the bucket.  But I travel by snow machine with the bucket in a freight sled.

This thing didn't like fishing at -20, but I don't either and it was to be expected.  I had the display at 50% and it dropped from 80% to 67% in one hour and it didn't recover when I went back inside where I belonged.

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 02, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Have you guys been putting the shuttle directly on the ice? I've only been out twice with it and I've been using the bucket as a stand. It works great in the shanty but not a good method for hole hopping.

I just don't feel comfortable setting it down in the slushy wet elements.

Might have to do to brainstorming on a base or legs to mount on the bottom to raise it up a little.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:22 PM »
Depends on how much space is available under the battery/base plate cover.  If you can get a screwtop to fit when the cover is screwed down, then you could easily install some rubber stopper feet.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #59 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:28 PM »
All I know is that i just went lithium on friday, and will probably not ever go back to SLA batteries.   the lithium is so much lighter, holds its charge for so much longer, and is less effected by the cold (plus their service life is rated 3x longer than an SLA).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.