Author Topic: Mora auger blades-sharpening  (Read 629 times)

Offline grizybear

• IceShanty Rookie
Mora auger blades-sharpening
« on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:41 AM »
I have sharpened my Mora blades with an oil stone. I sharpened only on the beveled side and I am going to try them today. Has anyone tried this before or have any better ways. I just ordered a strike master sharpener (about $10) to try next if this doesn't work.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Mora auger blades-sharpening
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:22 AM »
That's the way I do mine. Works good so far. Let us know how the sharpener works when you try it. The reviews on it are not stellar.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:35 AM »
I used a Lansky knife sharpener that I made an adapter for to do auger blades and it worked well.

A lot of bad reviews for the Strikemaster sharpener, but that could be "operator error." Those sharpeners are made to be used in ONE direction and if used incorrectly they remove the cutting edge instead of sharpening it...  Maybe good for on-ice emergency sharpening, but  I don't like the idea of the carbide "sharpener" which will make a rough surfaced cutting edge that will wear quickly - I'd rather use stones.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:52 AM »
I have used the hand sharpener with good success. Slow and easy going from center to the outside. I take off the blades and put them in a vice and keep slight pressure towards the edge making it dig. If you go the wrong way it will round the edge and you won't ever get it back.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline troutbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:41 AM »
good luck i tried  , the angle has to be just right . let me know how you make out.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Take a magic marker and cover the cutting surface. Then with your stone or fine file go from the plate to the outside edge enough strokes to just take off the Marker. Then your done. Been doing this on my Eskimo Quantum blades for years and always have sharp blades. 
<===Lefty===

Offline grizybear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2018, 11:30 AM »
I used it last night and it drilled good. I did order the sharpener and will let you all know how it does but the oil stone sharpening does work.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline Rangerphil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:53 PM »
I have the sharpener and it works great!!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2018, 12:05 AM »
I sharpened my seven inch mora blades tonight based on this post:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=18854.0

Used the Dremel polishing kit ($12.99 at Menards) with the jeweler's rouge polishing compound that came with the kit. Use wheel turning away from the blade edge and only buff only the top of the blades (side that does not touch the ice). Don't touch the underside. Took it out on the ice two hours ago and it cut like new.

Update:

Edge was great but fragile and did not last. I know others have had better luck buying more coarse buffing compound (I hear green works but haven't tried it yet). Will update again if I have better luck.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.