Author Topic: Pickling Fish  (Read 530 times)

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pickling Fish
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Just wondering what types of fish are good to pickle. I used to live in a place where i could get tons of small northern pike to pickle, but where I live now there are few lakes that have pike in them. I would like to know if anyone has had luck pickling anything else. Thanks

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Pickling Fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:47 PM »
Perch are best in my opinion. But...crappie, gills, bass, walleye, Pike even pickerel are good. Just need a good recipe ;)2

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Just wondering what types of fish are good to pickle. I used to live in a place where i could get tons of small northern pike to pickle, but where I live now there are few lakes that have pike in them. I would like to know if anyone has had luck pickling anything else. Thanks

I think Shad are the best!  I'm guessing you don't have them in IL...

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:58 PM »
I pickle all boney fish.pickled suckers and pike are great because the vinegar dissolves the bones.i put a  very good recipe link in the cuisine forum.

Offline hammerhandle315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:20 PM »
dad pickles a lot of bass but has also lots of gills etc and even carp from clean water....not much difference in any if you ask me

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Suckers from spring time fresh water lakes canned and pickled are pretty good,  I hate to admit that I have wasted a real tasty resource of small stream brookies but they are very yummy pickled. I do prefer them fried but pickled is pretty tastey too.  I had some pickled sturgon from the Columbia river in the west a few years back, and it too was very good.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.