Author Topic: Favorite walleye technique  (Read 11097 times)

HoagieAB

Favorite walleye technique
« on: Dec 03, 2003, 02:28 PM »
OK....I don't need your secret methods, but what is everyone's favorite hardwater technique for yankin walleyes.  Jiggin, spoons, bait, tipups???  My partner and I seem to do real well with a lightly set tip up.  Anyone else??

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Re:Favorite walleye technique
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2003, 02:34 PM »
I use a tip-up baited with a minnow and small split shot just off the bottom and jig with a Northland Buckshot spoon right next to it. The spoon brings them in and they grab the minow. This year I'll have the new AquaVu set up next to it so I can watch.

Offline Nuke Ab

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they're there,....... we'll get'm up!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2003, 05:25 PM »
hoagie, just get it in your head SOME of us just do better than others!LOL!!! Maybe this year you'll take the crown!! Good luck you'll need it!!!
Tight lines!

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2003, 09:18 PM »
Tip-ups with nice size bait :'(
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

HoagieAB

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2003, 10:55 AM »
Nuke:  Don't you worry about me.  With the roll I'm on coming out of hunting season.....this could be a long hardwater year for ya.  Remember....Once the king, always the king!!  Oh ya ........don't forget.......long live the king!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2003, 02:43 PM »
super light rod with 6lb test max with snap swivel and 18" tru-turn hook tipped with live minnow-i like one split shot about 6" above the hook--generally no jigging-i like to let the live minnow do the work

Mr.G

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2003, 01:29 PM »
Jigging a Kastmaster with a minnow on it, rigged with a slip bobber and a bobber stop- set it about 6-15" off the bottom and jig it decently frequently - enough to get some movement but not too much as to be obnoxiously jigging it.  

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2003, 12:11 PM »
I also use ACME Kastmaster's with great success. Tipping the spoon helps -- I just keep pounding the bootom.
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2003, 06:00 AM »
I prefer a swedish pimple tipped with a fathead. If the pimple isn't working, I'll try other jigging spoons (kastmaster, cleo, crocodile) or the Genz worm
Pete Lewis

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2003, 11:48 AM »
My personal favorite is a number 7 or 9 jigging Rapala in whatever color they're into that particular day. Fire tiger, perch and blue and silver are probably my top 3. I learned the whole secret to fishing these a number of years ago from a guy I met at the Bay of Quinte. He told me that "the first 2 inches you move this bait is the most critical. Just slowly lift your rod tip 1 or 2 inches to get it moving and then give the rod a sharp snap of a foot or so". This shoots the bait out and it makes a big circle swimming back to the vertical position. This is where they bite most of the time (wait for the tick) but I've had them whack it when its making the circle. Since I learned how to fish these I rarely even use jigging spoons although on the real tough finesse days they can outfish the jigging raps. As far as they go I'll take a blue and silver Kastmaster please.  

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Jigging Rapalas Rule
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2003, 11:16 PM »
Jigging will generally outproduce tip ups. The very best lure is the good old jigging rapala. I have used these and spoons, and I dare say the jigging rapala beats it easily.
I like to match the size of the lure to the size of the forage. Here in Colorado, that means using the smaller 3 and 5 sizes ( 1 1/2 and 2 inches) to match small fry. In lakes with bigger baitfish like shad and ciscoes, use the 7 or 9 sizes, but usually 7 is ideal.
Just drop it down the hole and watch it fall on your flasher. Start out jigging within a foot of the bottom, but pay attention for fish or baitfish cruising higher levels. If you see these, raise you lure up to them.
All you need to do to fish the rapala is to lift the rod tip about two feet fairly quickly and then immediately lower the tip. Pause for about 15 seconds, adding jiggles and shakes in the pause period. Then lift fall again, it's that easy.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:10 AM »
I have also got some nice walleye's on the perch colored or yellow jigging rapala. Very easy to use just thump the rod with pause's in between.
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2003, 09:37 AM »
i used to think jigging raps rule but know its salmo chubbby darters :o ;D

Offline mnfisherguy1983

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard water, cold beer...the goodlife
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2003, 12:20 AM »
i prefer just a plain old hook and bobber.
fish on!

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Favorite walleye technique
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Jigging Raps 5 &7's.  I have a ton of lures in my box but 90% of the time that's what's on my rod.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2015, 12:32 PM »
I mostly use rattling spoons, walleye flyers and chubby darters. Everything is fished under a float, with the exception of the chubbies, I usually fish that on a auto jigger but I have caught them under a float as well.

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2015, 02:51 AM »
Rattle baits, jogged very aggressive with long "jigging" to lure them in, then you can hit em' with the jigging raps (or similar jigging crank baits), 2" for the jigging raps.  Aggressive jigging with the rattle baits will tell your right quick if there is walleyes in the area using a flasher.

Offline St. Lawrence River Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2015, 08:36 PM »
To those that use tip-ups for walleye - what time of day works best and what type of depth/structure are you looking for?

I almost exclusively fish for northerns and perch, but my new house is only 1/2 mile from a spot where I caught a 9.8lb fish once by accident (trolling for pike).  I know there are big fish and they are rarely targeted by ice fisherman so I'd like to be able to formulate a game plan while the weather is still working against us.

Thx.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Combo techniques.  One deadstick, one jigging stick.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline liwalleye79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2016, 02:54 PM »
I have to agree with the jigging rap guys.  Got to fish them aggressively to make them work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.