The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Backcountry ice fishing???  (Read 2237 times)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Backcountry ice fishing???
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:04 PM »
Anyone ever done any backcountry ice fishing?  As in,  on a lake you can't drive a car/truck to.  Snowmobiles and 4-wheelers ok, but something remote?

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline pioneer MT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Backcountry ice fishing???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:06 PM »
Before they plowed the road I was having to cross country ski to my spot on hyalite. Now there is access all the way around the lake. I would like to hit one of the lakes in the gallatin canyon. Lava, golden trout, or emerald. I have no snowmachine but can cover about 15 miles in a day on my skis. I have always dreamed of ice fishing yellowstone lake for 30# lakers, but it is not allowed.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:08 PM »
The only true backcountry lake I have fished is Cataract Reservoir about 1.5miles above Pony and done very well with swedish pimples.  It was pretty western getting up there the last time though. Best of luck man and never be afraid that extra minute before you pick up and leave! ;)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:28 PM »
Anyone ever Ice fished on Park Lake near Helena/Clancy?

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.