The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Reel Weeds  (Read 2836 times)

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
Reel Weeds
« on: Jan 09, 2008, 02:13 PM »
Hey, I am just curious who has tried these out. My dad said that he used them in Iowa yesterday and he said they were incredible. Just wondering your opinion. I am thinking that it would be very easy to go to a craft shop and make your own which is probably what I will do and not spend 15 dollars a piece! Seems like a fantastic idea though. My dad said he had the camera out and watched the fish swim right into them and stay there! Just a thought!

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Re: Reel Weeds
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2008, 07:47 PM »
What are they, Artificial weed streamers that you lower down through the Ice?  I am going to take some Christmas pine garland out this weekend wired to a brick and on a string,  see what happens?  Wish I had a camera to see their response. guess I'll have to use the old fashion meathod and just catch a bunch of fish.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2008, 08:32 PM »
Yes that is pretty much exactly what it is!! And I am probably going to make it the same way you are as well except tie a sinker to it with a string to pull them up... They supposedly bring the fish in and keep them there especially on hard bottoms!

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2008, 12:40 AM »
i'm going to try this too.. if i ever get back out there

Offline Ketchnrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2008, 11:14 AM »
  I ordered a set of five yesterday.  Probably just a gimmick, but I couldn't resist the temptation!  I'll keep you posted.... 

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2008, 03:31 PM »
Well, I didn't try the Christmas tree garland like I wanted to, however I did get out on Saturday and fished the Silos on Canyon Ferry at a Fish and Game Christmas Tree drop from 2004.  They dropped about 500 or so bundles around the area I fished.  I fished it for 3-4 hours with 1 bite.  My conclusion was that the Christmas trees may be good for perch to breed, but they are in shallow water (~15feet), and the perch must only use them to breed and not to hang out around year round, or at least when there's lots of ice.  I did hear a rumor that perch may tend to congregate around warm water springs in the winter. After this next cold spell I'll try fishing one I found a few weeks ago when the ice was thinner.  I ran into a school of perch a couple weeks ago in about 30 feet of water, caught about 20, went back the next day to the same place and only caught 2, neither were keepers.  Any other ideas on the rituals of perch would be appreciated. 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:03 PM »
sooooo with all this stuff on these reel weeds and looking at them online, i went down to the local petsmart and bought some 36 in. fake plants...... it was $15 for the little bunch and i ended up getting 4 solid 36 in. strings of fakeness. i used some old rods and a couple spools of mono. just put a weight on the bottom and tied the mono to the top of the plant. pretty simple to say the least. but the question is......will the fish actually come in and stay awhile. seems like a bunch of goofy stuff to me, but makes a ton of sense at the same time. get to try it out in the morning. will post immediately after with some first hand results.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2008, 07:12 AM »
Hey I have an idea that might work just take a few evergreen branches and sink them with rocks and create your own permanent structure to fish all season in an area that you have already caught fish  branches wouldnt cost a thing you could buy the rocks [if you want] tie the rocks on with plain steel wire which will eventually corrode away the stick will eventually degrade and the rocks you bought will be forever at the bottom  :) 

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2008, 12:53 PM »
rezeye thats a great idea too. well my results turned out as they say on the reel weeds website. once the fish cam in they hung out for awhile. i had schools of perch that would circle my string of plastic weeds. then when the bass would come through they would scoot out and come back when they felt safe again. it came to the point where i had 1 really nice perch that would swim circles around my 4 strings of weeds and whenever sum smaller fish would come in he would scare em off. watched it all on the camera, it was pretty entertaining. i really didnt think it would work at all. im still not betting this is gona work everytime, but im gona say its succesful so far. if anyone is curious in buying them i would say try a cheaper route until its a guarantee that its gona work. will post with more results. good fishing

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2008, 07:28 PM »
I would love to see video of that.  Did you end up catching any, or where they more curious about the plastic weeds?  Think I'll try my Christmas pine bow garland this weekend.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:59 PM »
Yea i did catch sum, prolly 5-6 perch and a largemouth. they werent hittin very good today. very picky little buggers. but now that i bought a cam i have plenty of fun just watchin em. where you headed this weekend rezeye? your location says bighorn river, do you fish the resevoir that often?

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2008, 07:26 AM »
I live in ft smith just below the yellowtail dam and yes in the summer I fish the Bighorn lake as we call it some very very large smallmouth and caught some nice perch at Ok-e-beh marina for the very first time in my life last summer and my 3 year old daughter caught the first sauger of the spring last year on her sponge bob pole with just a #6 silver hook with just a worm on it, that worked all summer for her no weight color nothing just a worm  throw it out let it sink and rell in slowly

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:44 AM »
I've got the garland ready on bricks and will let you know how it goes when I get home today!!! Wish I had a camera to really know. but maybe the on ice fish count will say something

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2008, 06:48 PM »
I bought a 4ft section to use with my camera, have yet to try it.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2008, 10:20 PM »
used the home riggin again today. gona have to say succesful once again. the fish come in and hang out, schools of perch just cruise in and stay inside the little square of fake weeds i put around me. now the next thing is to learn how to make them bite!!!!! frustrating, but fun to watch on the cam.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Hey I have an idea that might work just take a few evergreen branches and sink them with rocks and create your own permanent structure to fish all season in an area that you have already caught fish  branches wouldnt cost a thing you could buy the rocks [if you want] tie the rocks on with plain steel wire which will eventually corrode away the stick will eventually degrade and the rocks you bought will be forever at the bottom  :) 

That's a good idea Rezeye.  Would help to add some structure under the spearing hole too!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.