The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: noxon walleyes  (Read 2694 times)

oldschoolben

noxon walleyes
« on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:59 AM »
so i hear that mfg wants to get rid of the walleye in noxon .just wondering why.and if nixon has that many in walleye in it i have fished a couple of times there .never in the winter tho

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: noxon walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:44 AM »
Hey Ben:) do a search on Noxon and you can find a lot of great info about this issue. Check out this thread....
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=257184.msg2640047#msg2640047

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2013, 12:09 PM »
a timely post...walleye in noxon was brought up last nite with a few fellas drinking beer in the kitchen as the ladies were drinking wine in the living room and the kids were out sledding in the snow.....maybe it was all "bar talk"..but the consensus was that wfp was not going to go ahead with an aggressive way to get rid of the eyes....but at the same time they weren't going to recognize them with any limits..number or size....so I guess its up to the angler...to decide the fate of the fish as of now...if anyone knows any diferrent..please post...cause 6 guys drinkin beer in the kitchen..swappin fish stories is quite fun...but not the most reliable of information....

oldschoolben

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2013, 06:38 PM »
would be good if they left them alone like the idea of some walleye somewhat close

Offline PikeMan1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2013, 10:19 PM »
Would be great if they got rid of all non-native fish.  Bring MT back to how it was FWP

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:31 AM »
Would be great if they got rid of all non-native fish.  Bring MT back to how it was FWP

You mean no pike, no walleye, no rainbow trout, no brown trout, no brook trout, no perch, no smallmouth, no sunfish, and no largemouth? Just bull trout, mountain whitefish, maybe a few west slope cutthroat and ling go as far as game fish go in the Clark Fork? I suppose we would have to get rid of the dams as well so that Thompson Falls would again be a waterfall and Noxon would be a rapids again. Because if FWP truly brings it back to native only that and rough fish would be all there is more or less in the Clark Fork.

oldschoolben

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2013, 02:30 PM »
im in the minority in montana i prefer bass ,pike,walley and similar fish over trout going to try and make it to noxon this winter

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2013, 02:37 PM »
im in the minority in montana i prefer bass ,pike,walley and similar fish over trout going to try and make it to noxon this winter

I don't think you are in the minority of most "native" montanans. We look at the speckled carp a little different than a freshly taught fly fisherman from the southwest. We like to catch em and cook em and drink a beer with some buddies while telling the story about it.  ;D

The best part about so called non-native fish is you don't have to spend a billion to keep the populations up and great for sport fisheries.

MTA

oldschoolben

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2013, 06:23 PM »
lol no I'm a transplant .grew up in idaho catching smallies and catfjsh on the snake river

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:52 AM »
Well its mess ups like you South-Easterners who get this brilliant idea that maybe you should bring over non-native fish such as Pike, Perch, Bass, Crappie, walleye, lake trout, and Etc into Montana.  What you people dont understand is that the native fish here don't stance a change against these types of fish.  If FWP keeps planting these fish around in certain lakes some moron will come by and bucket biologist them into another lake.  It sure does get expensive trying to gill net, poison, and also the failed Tiger Musky attempt at Horseshoe Lake.  The only place that will be left for native fish such as the trout (native species) will be in high mountain lakes where dumb asses won't pack fish in that far.  It is not just the anglers fault for bucket biology, it is also FWP's fault.  Looks like sturgeon are on the decline as usual, same with paddlefish (and yes I know we are talking about the dams on this).  The state is already screwed how it is currently.

You want to know what my rule is?  If it isnt native, KILL it!
I wouldnt expect anybody on here to care about what they read on my post, as most of you dont care what was here in Montana to begin with.  Some of you seem to just think its ok to dump your bass from Florida in here and it wont have an impact on the native populations. 

So with the Walleye in Noxin, yeah who cares if the bull trout is gone right?  Thanks to you dumb asses we wont be catching bulls for much longer, take a look at the other lakes that used to harvest them. and FWP sure won't stock them.           

Such kind words to everyone Pikeman1234.
I think what you don't understand is that most of us on here, and people around the state love trout.  We like to catch them, look at them, etc.  BUT,  we prefer to catch the "other" species such as Pike, Perch, Walleye because they are different than what we're used to, they are easier to catch through the ice, and they taste much better, and in many cases they are more abundant and easier to target than trout.
Just my thoughts.....

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:03 AM »
Interesting that with a name like pikeman...you so adamantly oppose non-natives.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:42 AM »
Wow! Sounds like somebody got a lump of coal in their stocking this Christmas.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:43 AM »
Wow! Sounds like somebody got a lump of coal in their stocking this Christmas.
or a bottle of black velvet????

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:57 AM »
How do you figure the Tigers in Horseshoe are a failure?

oldschoolben

« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:11 AM »
ya little vornfused you got pikeman as your name and have these views

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:22 AM »
"If it isn't native kill it"??? Wow! Class act!

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:42 AM »
It's obvious that pikeman1234 is a self proclaimed genius.  He's a virtual legend in his own mind.  Maybe someday he could become president.  I thoroughly enjoy reading posts from people who are experts on every subject.  Especially subjects that affect me.

oldschoolben

« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2013, 02:01 PM »
i guess every one is untitled to there own opinion but coming on  a place like this and having a crappy better than you attitude and calling people assholes and morons seems to take away what this site is about

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Trout men seem to want to get rid of everything non native that isn't a trout species and justify it by sayings it's to preserve native fisheries. But when they remove rainbows or brookies from a water these guys throw a fit. It's completely backwards because the non native trout out compete native trout for every common food source as well as hybridize and create genetically impure offspring. These people are just a bunch of self righteous Hippocrates.

Offline RAM1961

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:02 PM »
I'm with Pikeman (even if his name is controversial).  I'm a 52 year old native and grew up on cutthroat on all the back woods creeks in western MT.   Thought I was in heaven.

If I want King Salmon, I drive 10 hours and I have King Salmon.  If I want to take on Tigers, I have friends east of our borders that can help me out.  Same with walleye.  If I want Dorado, I head to Cabo.  If I want Black Marlin, I have a brother from another mother in Guatemala.  Friends of mine who want cutthroats come see me.  What's wrong with that program?

oldschoolben

« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2013, 08:05 PM »
I'm with Pikeman (even if his name is controversial).  I'm a 52 year old native and grew up on cutthroat on all the back woods creeks in western MT.   Thought I was in heaven.

If I want King Salmon, I drive 10 hours and I have King Salmon.  If I want to take on Tigers, I have friends east of our borders that can help me out.  Same with walleye.  If I want Dorado, I head to Cabo.  If I want Black Marlin, I have a brother from another mother in Guatemala.  Friends of mine who want cutthroats come see me.  What's wrong with that program?
one thing is money i know i dont have the money or time to ive that way i need something 3 or so hours away thats my opinion really dont see the problem with having a wide variety of fish in our lakes

Offline PikeMan1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:20 PM »
If you dont have the money then save up for a vacation.  If you cant do that move.  Usually less educated people don't seem to find a problem with a variety of fish in our lakes, thus look at the decline of our native populations!  If you want to fish for your warm water fish I say move to another state and poison out as many of these as we can.

To be honest none of this really matters to any one here.  Ill bet if all the warm water fish were on decline or on the endangered list you would all throw a fit and try to bring them back, much like the one you threw because FWP wanted to remove Walleye in Noxon.  So yeah I am going to call a bunch of you on here morons until some of you start to care about your natives. 

oldschoolben

« Reply #22 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:26 PM »
If you dont have the money then save up for a vacation.  If you cant do that move.  Usually less educated people don't seem to find a problem with a variety of fish in our lakes, thus look at the decline of our native populations!  If you want to fish for your warm water fish I say move to another state and poison out as many of these as we can.

To be honest none of this really matters to any one here.  Ill bet if all the warm water fish were on decline or on the endangered list you would all throw a fit and try to bring them back, much like the one you threw because FWP wanted to remove Walleye in Noxon.  So yeah I am going to call a bunch of you on here morons until some of you start to care about your natives.
merry Christmas im done you got yout opinion i have mine we font agree and sitting here arguing over the inyernet serms pointless to me have a good day

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Hate to burst the nostalgia bubble but unless you are over 100 years old then there were already warm water species (small mouth bass) in the Clark Fork by the time you or anyone now living was a child and it wasn't done by the uneducated using buckets. They were originally stocked by the state of Montana and it was done by the railroad car load.

oldschoolben

« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:22 PM »
every one is untitled to their opinion and free to day it just think it should be done with respect

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:32 PM »
I was a little worried when I got back from dinner the thread would get heated.....I agree that fishing a riparian area with cuts and bows is a magical experience....these areas should be defended at all costs.....I lean toward pikeman and ram in a few..very important aspects of their philosophy....but calling people uneducated and suggesting that they can simply change their environment to target the species they want is unrealistic...it is just alienating them to the majority of the people on this site.....if we are educated enough.. I guess.. we will always remember Patrick henry's famous quote..."I don't agree with what you said..but I will fight to the death for your right to say it"..paraphrased sorry.....but this is an issue that needs logical discourse.....the introduction of non native species needed to stop yesterday.....what we have is what we have....pike man I understand your frustrations/anger....but like cornbread said....in so many words... that ship has sailed.....pikeman..yo u can be a purist...and get your opinions across....or you can continue to alienate yourself with all the uneducateds on this site.....I think you have a legitimate perspective..once the anger subsides....try to articulate again....I love eatin  perch..love bass..love pike....don't really like trout that much....yes they are easy as snot to catch..but those white meat trash fish are a big part of my diet.....if you had a magic wand... I would give you my consent to have it go back to the old ways.....but we would be living in a world like a 100 yrs ago...with EVERYTHING a world 100 yrs ago entails....this is our reality....can you make your idealism relevant.....hang in there pikeman....

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:40 PM »
every one is untitled to their opinion and free to day it just think it should be done with respect
RIGHT ON!!!!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:49 PM »
So Lundin-loading, how about you piss off if you don't like my anti walleye/warm water ideas.

Its not your stance on native fish that I have a problem with, its the simple fact that you showed up and basically called us out as the problem with Montana's fisheries, and continued to berate and name call like your above us...you honestly think any of us condone or endorse the illegal introduction of any species?!? Get real. But we are all just taking advantage of the situation and enjoying it for what it is, and since the fisheries have been this way for literally a lifetime its all we know! If you want some ultra pure native world, I got news for you IT DOESN'T EXIST AND NEVER WILL AGAIN!!!! Deal with it and just try to get by with the awsome opportunity that we do have available to us in this day and age just like the rest of us are trying to do.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:57 PM »
Its not your stance on native fish that I have a problem with, its the simple fact that you showed up and basically called us out as the problem with Montana's fisheries, and continued to berate and name call like your above us...you honestly think any of us condone or endorse the illegal introduction of any species?!? Get real. But we are all just taking advantage of the situation and enjoying it for what it is, and since the fisheries have been this way for literally a lifetime its all we know! If you want some ultra pure native world, I got news for you IT DOESN'T EXIST AND NEVER WILL AGAIN!!!! Deal with it and just try to get by with the awsome opportunity that we do have available to us in this day and age just like the rest of us are trying to do.
I am on the wagon....but there is a part of me that wanted to say the same thing.....well put lundin loading

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #29 on: Dec 26, 2013, 12:19 AM »
Why stop with the fish? Let's kill everything not native to Montana.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.