Author Topic: How would you rescue your buddy or someone else  (Read 17274 times)

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
How would you rescue your buddy or someone else
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:47 AM »
Now most of us carry hand spikes that most of us hang around our neck for pulling ourselves back on the ice if we go in the drink.  However, these spikes are not going to help someone else going through the ice.  Floatation equipment is fine, but you need to get that person back onto the ice. 

I always carry a hundred foot length of rope with a bicycle inner tube tied to the end.  Rescued a snow-mobiler who went through a few years ago.  I always have a wool blanket and extra socks in my truck that can reduce the chance for hydrothermal. 

Many a helpful soul ends up another swimmer trying to rescue his buddy so think “what if”.   Tell us what you take to the ice to prevent a disaster.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How would you rescue you buddy or someone else
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:50 AM »
My pull rope for my smitty sled is clipped on with carabineers and is doubled up while it is attached. can easily be removed for a throw rope. I have a few of those mylar blankets that I keep in my kit.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:59 AM »
If it is my buddy that needs rescue, I'll ask him where he keeps the spare key to his gun safe.  For anybody else, I have a 75 foot rope or my doubled pull rope with quick release.  I always have a blanket and a Colman stove in truck topper.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:55 AM »
picked up a throw bag at the ice show in dec. have practiced throwing it several times since. always in the jetsled. wire

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Ropes are good, with one addition. Tie a big loop on the end, to that, tie a thin heaving line with a monkey’s fist at the end. This allows you to throw from further away(safer for you) with great accuracy, and allows them to simply pull the loop to and around them quickly instead of trying to tie something.

http://www.animatedknots.com/monkeysfist/
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:15 AM »
One of my fishing partners has an Argo, so if anyone goes through the ice we should be able to drive right to them. Also  I always have a rope with me to throw to help someone out. For myself I wear my Striker ice suit and ice picks. Back at the truck I keep a bag with extra cloths. Hopefully we will never need any of these things, but I am much more comfortable out there on the ice knowing if we ever get into trouble we should be able to get back on top of the ice.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Great post, let’s hope you never have to put your plan into action

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:01 AM »
 A throw rope is in the sled, a wool blanket is in the truck, several chemical "hand" warmers are in both the truck and sled, also have a little old school propane heater but that ain't doing much.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:09 AM »
A man fell through the ice this past Thursday on a lake I've been fishing,The ice where he broke through was near the bank,but in 10' o/w.Lucky fo him he could be reached from shore.I did notice that nobody had any rope,nor do they use a spud,plus the ice was pulling away from the bank edge, when he attempted to step across the open water along the edge,he broke through..........Mothe r Nature nearly cleansed the gene pool.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:09 AM »
I always have 50’ of 550 paracord tied to a wood dowel

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:12 AM »
easy/free thing to make.

throw rope-http://www.vententersearch.com/hittn-the-bottle/
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:01 PM »
easy/free thing to make.

throw rope-http://www.vententersearch.com/hittn-the-bottle/

I did something similar, but I hadn't thought about tossing the bottle with a weight in the bottom. 

I cut a hole in the bottom of a bleach bottle and ran the rope through, knotted and glued it on the outside.  All of the rope gets pushed in through the pour spout except a loop that has a lead weight from an old kitchen sink pull out spout attached to it.  If I had to deploy it, I would hold onto the handle and throw the lead weight that's tied to the loop.  I wonder if throwing a weighted bottle would be easier for someone in the water to grab as it might float.

Offline punkinhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:18 PM »
I have my pull rope clipped onto the sled for fast removal plus I carry a pfd which dbls as a warm seat cushion.  I also wear cleats so I won't slip and slide if I need to pull someone out.  Great topic!

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:20 PM »
I did something similar, but I hadn't thought about tossing the bottle with a weight in the bottom. 

I cut a hole in the bottom of a bleach bottle and ran the rope through, knotted and glued it on the outside.  All of the rope gets pushed in through the pour spout except a loop that has a lead weight from an old kitchen sink pull out spout attached to it.  If I had to deploy it, I would hold onto the handle and throw the lead weight that's tied to the loop.  I wonder if throwing a weighted bottle would be easier for someone in the water to grab as it might float.

A commercial ,made "throw bag" is made to utilize the weight of the rope.  The "thrower"  holds the tag end of the rope and throws the entire bag to the person being rescued.  The rope pays out of the bag as it sails thru the air towards the recipient.   While it might be better than nothing, I don't think one wants to be throwing chunks of lead thru the air.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:31 PM »
It may be foolish, but if it came right down to it, and there were no other options, I'd jump in. I wear a float suit and spikes at all times.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Never go in after them. Easier to fish out one dead body than two.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:58 PM »
Never go in after them. Easier to fish out one dead body than two.

If it was my best friend, your damn right I'll go in after him. If it was the last option. Remember?  Float Suit? No way I'd let him die.

Remember what Dave Gens said? "I've never found a body frozen in the ice that was wearing a life jacket".
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:57 PM »
 I always carry a 1/2"x60' rope with a throwable float tied to it along with a separate throwable float. It would be nice if more people invested in a 'float suit' so others would not have to be so concerned about those who venture out without one.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:01 PM »
My buddy is in Florida. I fish alone at his lake house in the winter. Striker suit, or I'm screwed. No one around.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:16 PM »
I have 100' of 1/4" rope tied to a half inflated boat bumper and it is always in my sled, along with an extra pair of picks. Most places I fish are within 100' of shore. I can't throw it 100', but I can fling it pretty darn far. There's not really any places around here where you can fall in at, other than walking on a spring which would be thin ice next to thick ice, or falling in when trying to get off the ice by shore. Both situations I would be able to assist with, and at least get a line and a pair of picks to the person.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:43 AM »
The first thing you do is sit down with your buddy and go over what you should do in case one of you fall in. Keep calm wait for the initial shock to go away and then try to get out and with help it will be easy. SO there is where you start. Before you get to the Lake.
<===Lefty===

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:26 AM »
I have a rope that is tied to a boat cusion. Extra clothes are in the truck, everything except underwear. They are for whoever needs them. I also have a extra snow suit in the truck. There is also a buddy heater to warm them up after they change out of the wet clothes

Offline fishon21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:45 PM »
I carry a throw bag, a 100 foot of good rope, my ice picks around my neck and a spare set of picks in the sled. Heater either with me on the ice or in the truck. Extra clothes and blankets also in the truck.  Make sure multiple cell phones are available if possible, hard to do if alone.  Also a good idea to watch a few rescue videos ahead of time, lots of things you can do if you know how to. Don't take chances on early, late or sketchy ice.  Stay on top!

Offline icefish1960

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How would you rescue your buddy or someone else
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:02 PM »
just wondering, if you could get close enough without putting yourself in danger, taking off your float suit jacket and throwing it to them. If they could hang onto it, ball it up and use it as a float cushion, would that work?

Offline CritterBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:08 PM »
I carry a rope I can throw. Personally I wear ice pics always in case I go in and often a life jacket. Might look funny to some but at least I wont sink. Also wear a whistle around my neck. During my fire department days I took some ice rescue training. They taught us to wrap a rope around our arm as its hard to grip a rope in your hand in freezing water. That and to crawl on the ice as it distributes your weight.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:10 PM »
I take a boat cushion with a long length of rope attached.  My next thing is to figure out a way to keep the rope from getting tangled while it's not being used.  If I had to use it, it would probably become 5 feet of rope because of the snarls.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:19 AM »
I am superman...I will just fly in and pick him up with my fingers and fly him back to safety.   ;D

I wish...LOL.

Anyway, people often think of throwing rope to the person...maybe that's how it is seen in the movies.  In real life, you need to make sure you throw past the person.

In the movies...people just grab onto the rope and are pulled to safety.  In real life, you will need to wrap the rope at least two times around your arm or wrap it around your hand and under elbow (like you're looping rope to put away).  That way you will have some grip if there isn't a loop or tube on the end of that line.  When people panic, typically they will grab onto the rescue bag...grab the rope, the bag is gonna keep deploying more rope.

In the movies...people are pulled with their front/belly towards obstacle/ice edge.  In real life, your back towards obstacle/ice edge is easier.  One you can elbow/leverage your body on the edge.  Two you can kick your feet to propel your body up onto the edge.  Three, it's easier to get pulled to safety when you assist by kicking your feet and digging heels along the ice.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:13 AM »
Having rope is great but it's extremely difficult to pull a person out if you don't have any traction on ice. Create an anchor point by tying the free end of the rope to a dowel, auger a hole in safe ice, and insert dowel into hole. And rather than wasting time tying knots, pre-install a carribeaner on the free end to slip onto the dowel.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:16 AM »
Having rope is great but it's extremely difficult to pull a person out if you don't have any traction on ice. Create an anchor point by tying the free end of the rope to a dowel, auger a hole in safe ice, and insert dowel into hole. And rather than wasting time tying knots, pre-install a carribeaner on the free end to slip onto the dowel.

What am I missing here? I don’t see how this will help. You still have to pull, and the rope will be anchored behind you. Please clarify. I may be missing something obvious. Lol

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:13 AM »
Wow!!!   Great ideas to expand my safety arsenal.  Hopefully the novices are reading this thread.  The only thing that would make this better would be a self-rescue and other person rescue video.  You might have the fire department coordinate with with any film making 🏊‍♀️

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.