Author Topic: Early season burbot frenzy!  (Read 4970 times)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Early season burbot frenzy!
« on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:06 AM »
Hi all.

I am new to this board and hope to chip in with reports and any help I can offer.  I like the fact that this board has species specific topics.  I am a burbot freak in winter and love to experience a good burbot frenzy.  Luckily a group of us experienced an early frenzy yesterday at Gull Lake in Alberta, Canada.  Not sure about the total numbers but I do know that one guy landed 13, two of us about 9-10 a piece and another guy at about a half dozen.  We also caught some huge perch with several over 12 inches.  Great  day!

Here are some pics:

Biggest burb of the day.  Measured at 32 inches and just over 7 lbs.

Cheers!

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They were here yesterday...
Re: Early season burbot frenzy!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 11:01 AM »
Nice work! I have a soft spot for Gull as well, my parent's live on the golf course out there so it's an excuse to visit them here and there. You catch the perch while fishing for whites or were you going for them?
I alway's seem to get perch on a copper coloured wire worm on that lake, also is it just me or do they not really school that much there?
Any who I better get back to work....

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007, 12:13 PM »
Good job those are some great lookin fish!
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2007, 03:12 PM »
Nice work! I have a soft spot for Gull as well, my parent's live on the golf course out there so it's an excuse to visit them here and there. You catch the perch while fishing for whites or were you going for them?
I alway's seem to get perch on a copper coloured wire worm on that lake, also is it just me or do they not really school that much there?

Thanks guys!  Yeah Marlin, the perch do not school that much there.  You have to move around a bit and often they only come in 1 or 2 at a time.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2007, 07:18 PM »
The 32 inch burb you caught is skinny. i caught a 31 incher on saturday night and it weighed just over 10 pounds, i had to squeeze it to get it through my 6 inch hole. thats weird because i fish like a hour and a bit north of edmonton and they are huge. but nice burb none the less.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2007, 07:24 PM »
great fish, man those things are cool looking

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:13 AM »
Thats' a nice mess of fish Snap!  They sure look different from our fish, but I'm sure just as tasty eh! :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:23 AM »
Is the burbot the same as a ling? Is ling just slang for burbot? Def. a unique fish.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2007, 11:28 AM »
Thanks all.

Yes, it is a skinny burbot.  However, the inch and a half slabs I took off the back look wonderful ;D

Ling is a slang word for burbot.  I first new them as ling before learning the real name.

Cheers!

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:27 AM »
i dont think there is any other fish with as many different names as a burbot, eel pout, ling, cusk ect ect
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2007, 01:18 PM »
Nice mess of fish. Can hardly wait til Jan . so i can get out
hook and cook

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:11 PM »
do you catch your ling during the day? wut is the daily limit for a person in alberta?  I usually catch most of my ling when gettin dark and at dark here in bc. we are allowed 5 a day- no size limit. most me and another person have caught in one nite would be just over 10.
Cheers
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2007, 01:26 PM »
do you catch your ling during the day? wut is the daily limit for a person in alberta?  I usually catch most of my ling when gettin dark and at dark here in bc. we are allowed 5 a day- no size limit. most me and another person have caught in one nite would be just over 10.
Cheers

Most I have caught has been during the day.  Best times have been 10-11 a.m. and 1-2 p.m.  I heard that they feed more at darker times.  I couldn't image how crazy that would be!  I have never really tried fishing much past dark either.  Maybe I'll have to try :)
The limit on that particular lake is 3.  There are no size limits on burbs in Alberta.  Most lakes have a limit of 10.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:20 PM »
Hey great pics Snap. You look familiar, ever fish the Gull tourney. Nice size eater perch and burbys :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2007, 11:55 PM »
Welcome to IceShanty SNAPFisher.
You guys really had a real good day for burbot and perch, nice pictures. 8)

WW

Offline fish-slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go big or go home.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2007, 12:30 AM »
Looks like you had a great day ;D :o. :icefish:
TEAM BC

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2007, 05:37 PM »
Hi all.

I am new to this board and hope to chip in with reports and any help I can offer.  I like the fact that this board has species specific topics.  I am a burbot freak in winter and love to experience a good burbot frenzy.  Luckily a group of us experienced an early frenzy yesterday at Gull Lake in Alberta, Canada.  Not sure about the total numbers but I do know that one guy landed 13, two of us about 9-10 a piece and another guy at about a half dozen.  We also caught some huge perch with several over 12 inches.  Great  day!

Those are some dandies, nice job!

All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.