Author Topic: The Burbot Spawn  (Read 4482 times)

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
The Burbot Spawn
« on: Feb 10, 2007, 01:38 PM »
  Friend of mine said a bioligist with the game&fish told him that the ling are starting to spawn! The bioligist said to find weedbeds on any lake and your good to go.
 I have the 2007 in-fisherman "Ice fishing guide" magazine, it has a back page article about ling. It says to look for mid-lake humps and shoreline points that extend a good distance into the lake.

What has been your experience during the spawn? Would like to hear anybody's advice. Thank you in advance!

Dog out
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The Burbot Spawn
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Weeds are good but when they are spawning i can tell you for sure that gravel bottom in about 15 or so feet of water seems to be the best for me.

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2007, 03:12 PM »
 Thanks Frank.......do they tend to spawn towards feeder creeks, or just anywhere?
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2007, 06:35 PM »
it totally depends on the lake i would guess. I like to find a spot on the lake where there is a point that goes out for a ways into the lake then find gravel out from that in anywhere from 10 to 35 feet of water. In the spot I have been killing them at... I found a point with a gravel bar right next to a weedben just on the dropoff of a creek channel haha.

I am in fish nirvana

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2007, 09:19 PM »
[quote author=FrankAk  In the spot I have been killing them at... I found a point with a gravel bar right next to a weedben just on the dropoff of a creek channel haha.

I am in fish nirvana
[/quote]

Sounds like you are having a good time, congratulations!
That said I'm working a small lake(365acres) that has no apparent points extending into it. If I could find a bottom-contour map, I would be good to go.....I think ???
 I have a radar unit, but don't know where to start. There are weeds from shore to around 24feet all around this lake, walked out shooting through the ice today. Where I went it maxed out at 34 feet, been fishing just on the weed edge(deep side). Been good for perch and trout, but no ling for me. :'(
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2007, 09:37 PM »
try fishing it at night with a glow in the dark buzz bomb in the 4 or 5 inch variety. I have also been catching bigger burbs on 8" curlytail grubs and twin tail grubs in the 6" range.

I find th best time to catch them is right when the sun goes down. From then on its been good.

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2007, 11:01 PM »
 Thanks for info. 8)

But what is a buzz-bomb??
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline holmes76

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • from P.G. in B.C.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2007, 11:05 PM »

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2007, 11:28 PM »
 Where is the hook????????
How do you rig that thing?
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:45 AM »
If you look closely there is a "hook" stamped in lure on one end. The line goes thru middle of lure (on the end that doesn't have hook stamped in it) and you slip a rubber bumper thru the line then tie on hook.

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2007, 04:14 PM »
I pre rig my buzz bombs.

I use a 35lb test chunk of mono then tie up everything nice and tight. I then tie a barrel swivel as close as possible to the top of the buzz bomb.

This makes it easy for mad dashing around the ice. Just snap it to a snap swivel and off you go down teh hole. No dinking with the rubber stopper or anything.

Oh fishing at night I am using the spectrex super line in 25lb test but its in the diamater of 6lb test. I find when I hook into a big ling or laker they like to take me right into the weeds and I like to be able to muscle them on out.

Im talking big fiesty 10lb ling and 25lb plus lakers. I dont get many in that size but when I do I sure hate feeling under gunned.
And at night no fish is line shy :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.