New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: The Next 90 Days  (Read 2318 times)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
The Next 90 Days
« on: Sep 12, 2017, 05:51 PM »
This is that time of year , at least in NY where I fish, that we usually consider to be about 90 days away from the first ice trip.

What does everyone do, aside from obvious answers such as working, to keep sane while waiting for ice. I am still doing a lot of gardening, home improvement and hiking since it is still late summer.

My problem every year is that after the last lawn mowing in  October, the last item harvested from the garden in October, etc. is that I start to fixate too much on the upcoming ice season. The month of November is pure torture for me because I don't do that much hunting anymore ( and it never was close to being equal to ice fishing anyway ). If December disappoints with temps. too warm to make ice, I get really upset.

How do you all stay calm and not get too anxious for first ice ?
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The Next 90 Days
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2017, 06:21 AM »
Go get into some fall fishing. There are countless opportunities. Catch some fish. And ill kill a deer or two.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2017, 07:06 AM »
i fish for pannies most of the time open and hard water, so what i do is find where the pannies
are now,because that is where they will be come 1st ice [most times] and mark the places on
my maps and what i used [color] to get them to hit,NOTE [ each fishing trip is put in my book]
just to old to remember all the things now
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2017, 06:44 PM »
Finish all they honeydew items the wife has for me catch a couple salmon before archery season kill a couple deer with my bow then with my gun while spending as much time in the woods with my son as possible and do some small game hunting then get all my icefishing gear ready before we get safe ice

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2017, 09:54 PM »
Fishing for wild browns and rainbows in the Blue Ridge Mountains until the winter trip to NY
Pete

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2017, 09:41 AM »
I second fall soft water fishing, if you pick the right lakes. I actually managed to catch a 30" Laker on light spinning tackle recently. They're back. Also, on the other hand tourists have all gone home and back to school, and the waters are deserted again like in Spring. If you can find a warm/calm day, it's a really great time of year to be out.

Offline Boston989

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2017, 11:43 AM »
I also get upset on warm December temps 😡

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2017, 06:30 AM »
I get a lot of Bow Hunting in..
Fish for Eyes in the river.
And i have a few chosen Panfish lake i hit for bull gills and perch...
I also do 1 or 2. Native Brook trout trips,all catch and rrlese on the trout.A quick picture and back they go.
I have ice fishing on my mind since August. Lol.
Mu 2 gass augars are hanging on my garage wall.everu day o go to get in my truck i look at them....NOT GOOD.LOL.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2017, 05:08 PM »
I started a seprate thread on the General forum " Fall Mushroom Hunting ". I just started the hobby a month ago and will hate to see that season end. No hobby is as ever as exciting as when it's a brand new one.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2017, 05:35 PM »
I spend time with my family, hunt small game and deer, do some reloading, do some fall fishing since I'm done with all my summer projects, and tinker around with my ice fishing gear.  Oh and how could I ever forget check out and buy more jigs.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2017, 07:04 AM »
It has now been 40 days since my OP. I propose then a title change to " The Next 50 Days " for this topic.

La Nina is predicted to give NY at least an average winter as far as Dec - Feb temps are concerned, with a slight chance of below normal. My take-away from that prediction is that I should be on the ice in my preferred spot before XMAS and be fishing well into March - so a solid and long enough season is likely in the cards for us here in NY.

Come on winter !!!!!   :clap: :bow: :thumbsup: :-* :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2017, 11:14 AM »
i like what
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2017, 06:47 PM »
 :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2017, 04:54 PM »
buy some unpainted ice jigs, get yourself and airbrush and start making your own jigs. of course by time ice comes you will have hundreds made but they also make good presents to friends and family.

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2017, 06:04 AM »
i am fishing up to ice season. drive 2.5 hr to for steelhead :thumbsup:

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2017, 07:31 AM »
Hey Dan!

How's life treating you? It's been a while. Hope to see you on the ice this season!

Neal

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2017, 06:41 PM »
Black smithing.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2017, 02:55 AM »
Lake George...lakers....