New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 222886 times)

Offline Jasonhammell1986

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #780 on: Mar 18, 2017, 09:39 PM »
I would like to know also if browns is frozen then there has to be enough to fish but a report would be great lol

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #781 on: Mar 18, 2017, 09:51 PM »
you guys live there grab a spud and take a walk

Offline Jasonhammell1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #782 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:37 PM »
Im 40 min From toga or i would lol

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #783 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Same guy was out today.  I'm tempted to at least find out how thick it is.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #784 on: Mar 22, 2017, 05:31 AM »
Im 40 min From toga or i would lol

Im 2 hours away and I will!   ;D

Offline Jasonhammell1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #785 on: Mar 22, 2017, 02:09 PM »
Lol go for it let me know   ;D

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #786 on: Mar 27, 2017, 10:32 AM »
Wonder if every ones still gonna complain when they change the regs,and guys still hammer them from mid feb-march.  Any one remember back in the day when a person said "wow where did you catch that" and your fathers responce was, "secret spot". If you ever wondered why they wouldn't tell, now you know....might as well claim every eye you catch is from toga. Keep the crowd there to preserve other honey holes... the lake will eventually get just as crowded in the winter as it is mid summer.....enjoy!!!
I love this!!! My thoughts exactly. Let the people who don't know the first thing about walleye wipe them out when they are spawning. All the true walleye guys still have their spots elsewhere @)As for the guys posting pics and bragging about limiting out catching spawning walleye you should be ashamed. Poor knowledge and respect for the resource is what it boils down to.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #787 on: Mar 27, 2017, 11:18 AM »
All the true walleye guys still have their spots elsewhere @)As for the guys posting pics and bragging about limiting out catching spawning walleye you should be ashamed. Poor knowledge and respect for the resource is what it boils down to.

You know it.  Should have seen the scummy crap posted on facebook by people calling themselves "anglers".  Worst part is you know every single one of those creek caught fish on stringers was snagged.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #788 on: Mar 27, 2017, 04:57 PM »
Honestly red, I don't know. The angler or possibly the observer does . Maybe we are all snagger  (s), lol
I have foul hooked almost every species I caught at one point in my life. Yup ,lakers through the ice to salmon trolling the lake, even a striper jigging a sabiki.  It happens .
To me there are snaggers, and there are incidentally foul hooked fish . If the latter because routine then it no longer becomes incidentally.  I , we , understand even under all intentions and legal methods , tossing something into a pod of confined fish will result in a bend what happens from there becomes ethics and legality.  I prefer ethics.

Now all this Internet ddiscussions about game fish no doubt even have me intrigued.  I don't like crowds in the least but wouldn't mind "checking out " the tribs and lakes like toga and Oneida.  You guys can have lake George,  lol
But my point being,   there is no secret sports once they hit the www. 
If you post it , they will come

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #789 on: Mar 27, 2017, 07:09 PM »
You know it.  Should have seen the scummy crap posted on facebook by people calling themselves "anglers".  Worst part is you know every single one of those creek caught fish on stringers was snagged.

I haven't been paying attention....was it really that bad again this year?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #790 on: Mar 28, 2017, 09:27 AM »
I haven't been paying attention....was it really that bad again this year?

plenty of hero stringer shots going around on the facebook groups.   I have no problem with keeping eyes.   I keep a few limits every summer myself.   But man, when they are concentrated up in the creek and spawning (ie; not feeding)  and the only way to get them is to snag them with stick baits, it just does not seem very sporting to me.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #791 on: Mar 28, 2017, 06:38 PM »
In the early 1970's we had some late winters and I got in on the walleye spawning at Sacandaga.  The fish were still in the river after the regular opening of the walleye season (first Saturday in May). 

We caught quite a few, but they were all males - and all of a size -up to 19" or so.  A jig with a minnow was deadly. 

My understanding is the females will go up and spawn and come back to the lake very quickly.  So an individual female would be in the river a short time, but they didn't all spawn at once but over a period of a week or two.  The males go up the river and hang around for a while, waiting for more females to come.  We would hook a male and 3 or 4 others would follow him to the boat trying to spawn.  Trying to unhook them they would spray sperm all over. 

So I don't buy that the only way to catch them is by snagging.

I have lived on or very near Saratoga Lake for 40 years and have never thought of harassing the walleyes in the Kaydeross.  In those cold winter years in the early 1970's a friend told me he had (legally, after season opener) caught them on Rapala type baits under the Northway bridges, and some of those were females.

fordman

« Reply #792 on: Mar 28, 2017, 08:40 PM »
It's awesome when its legal and they slam the stick baits. Should be a better opener with the cold water sticking around.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #793 on: Mar 29, 2017, 09:42 AM »
In the early 1970's we had some late winters and I got in on the walleye spawning at Sacandaga.  The fish were still in the river after the regular opening of the walleye season (first Saturday in May). 

yep, everyone used to hang around the northville bridge at opening day.   My dad and his friends all used to do it, it was a communal type thing.   

I have lived on or very near Saratoga Lake for 40 years and have never thought of harassing the walleyes in the Kaydeross.  In those cold winter years in the early 1970's a friend told me he had (legally, after season opener) caught them on Rapala type baits under the Northway bridges, and some of those were females.

those post spawn walleyes, of course they smack lures, they are HUNGRY!! Walleyes feed heavily immediately pre and post spawn, but when they are in the act of actually spawning however, they do not feed.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #794 on: Apr 04, 2017, 03:53 AM »
The last bit of ice on the (south end of the) lake blew out Sunday.  It's now officially over.  Boats off Brown's now.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #795 on: Apr 04, 2017, 09:30 AM »
I have a little bass raider boat is it cool to launch off browns ? Just a little trolling motor

Offline limitout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #796 on: Apr 04, 2017, 07:00 PM »
No But I would suggest state launch its free right now..

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #797 on: May 04, 2017, 05:56 AM »
Recent DEC ECO report:

Read the Sign … More Closely – Saratoga County

On the evening of April 14, ECO Rob Higgins was off duty, driving along the Kayaderosseras Creek in the city of Saratoga, when he noticed a vehicle parked on the side of the road. The lower section of the creek is closed to fishing at this time of the year to protect spawning walleye. ECO Higgins walked down the creek a short distance and found two men fishing. ECO Higgins asked them if the walleye were running yet and one of the men replied that he wasn’t sure, but he “hooked into something big.” The man then pointed to the sign right next to him, which read that fishing was prohibited during the closed season for walleye. He believed the sign meant that only walleye fishing was prohibited, not all fishing. ECO Higgins contacted ECO Mark Klein, who was on duty at the time. ECO Klein arrived and advised the two men that they were in violation for fishing the closed section of the Kayaderosseras Creek. One man was issued a violation for fishing without a license and another violation for fishing in the closed section of the Kayaderosseras Creek. The other man was also issued a violation for fishing in the closed section of the creek.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #798 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:54 PM »
Well boys it wont be long now... excited to see what happens this weekend. That W word is going to be key.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #799 on: Dec 14, 2017, 01:05 PM »
W hadn’t been as bad as yesterday. We’ll see what the next few days hold

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #800 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:23 PM »
Huge flight of snow geese took off from the south end of the lake Wednesday morning, first I've seen this fall.  If the wind would die tonight we'd have some ice tomorrow.  I'm wondering if the ice eaters just north of the bridge are going to keep that area totally free of ice like it was last year. 

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #801 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:24 PM »
Fingers crossed it goes tonight...

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
« Reply #802 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:49 AM »
I live in Lake George pretty close to Saratoga lake and I have only fished it once in the winter. it looks like some folks are really excited about getting onto Saratoga this year, What type of size does Saratoga hold for fish? I have always had much better luck at other lakes just wondering what everyone's opinions on the quality of the fishing in this lake compared to the many other choices. Are the walleye or panfish getting big?
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #803 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:39 AM »
Saratogalakecam.com shows what looks to be ice.  I haven't gone to get my paper yet so can't confirm.

Saratoga Lake is noted for large panfish, although the fishing has deteriorated in the past few years, possibly due to aggressive weed removal during the summer.  There are good walleyes but not many catch them.  The pike fishing has gone to hell in the last few years.  You catch quite a few largemouths and pickerel through the ice. 

No where near as good as LG, but it is convenient and of course is frozen a couple of months before LG.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #804 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:41 AM »
I live in Lake George pretty close to Saratoga lake and I have only fished it once in the winter. it looks like some folks are really excited about getting onto Saratoga this year, What type of size does Saratoga hold for fish? I have always had much better luck at other lakes just wondering what everyone's opinions on the quality of the fishing in this lake compared to the many other choices. Are the walleye or panfish getting big?

There are better options north of LG that are the same distance away as Saratoga.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #805 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:17 AM »
This morning's ice but was a teaser.  The slight breeze has disconnected it from the shore and its going fast.

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #806 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:57 AM »
Drove around Saratoga lake 8 oclock this morning the whole lake is capped over  hopping the wind don't brake it up
I Live To Fish

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #807 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:14 AM »
If you look at he weather we have coming in this week, it won’t last.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #808 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:46 AM »
What is wrong with that if it is completely froze that should put enough on to survive a little bit of possible rain this weekend.

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #809 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:47 AM »
Drove by this morning and most of the lake is capped but looked like a huge open section coming out from south of mannings north to kayadeross.  Will be important to keep that in mind later in the season.  Obviously the rest of the lake is still not safe and the near forecast isn't looking extremely promising.  I think will be an after xmas start.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.