New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 222887 times)

Offline PeterC

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Hey buz23-- I have been around long enough to have fished the lake back in the 60's and early 70's as a kid (whenyou could keep 12 inchers). Moved away and just in last couple of years getting back on toga a few times coming from Albany.
Knwowing the old spots I was thinking Kaydeross in late season would make perfect sense. How hard is it hit, and are they really putting tha big a  hurt on the overall walley fishing? In some ways it should be the plan to fish there to be successful.  Also in my memory, is getting walleyes through the ice off  Brown's beach, is that still an option in current
times?

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Big perch are still in there. Just have to find them. I fished deeper water than usual and pulled up some nice size perch. A lot of dinks too though.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Fished off Fitch rd yesterday. 5 bass flags and 1 large pickerel. Everyone is saying the same thing about toga. Very slow year.

If you don't mind me asking what were you using for bait on the tip ups

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Been catching some nice perch but I also move like a mad man.  I will just bring nothing but a sled with my auger, a small jig box and a jigging rod.  I'll drill a hole, fish it for 5 minutes and if no fish then it move a few feet over and try again.  If no fish after a while then I'll move 50-100 feet and try again.  Never failed to find at least enough for a meal.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Anybody think it will be safe enough to drive out on the ice off of fitch? (after this rain..)

Offline Rainonme37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:20 PM »
On the tip ups I was using pike shiners

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Anybody think it will be safe enough to drive out on the ice off of fitch? (after this rain..)

I think it will be fine.  The ice is plenty thick but be careful if you don't know the lake.  I see guys hauling out across the lake and just hope they know where the springs are.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:01 AM »
Hey buz23-- I have been around long enough to have fished the lake back in the 60's and early 70's as a kid (whenyou could keep 12 inchers). Moved away and just in last couple of years getting back on toga a few times coming from Albany.
Knwowing the old spots I was thinking Kaydeross in late season would make perfect sense. How hard is it hit, and are they really putting tha big a  hurt on the overall walley fishing? In some ways it should be the plan to fish there to be successful.  Also in my memory, is getting walleyes through the ice off  Brown's beach, is that still an option in current
times?

The last couple years guys were limiting out multiple times by shore fishing at the mouth of the Kaydeross prior to the season closing.  The closed season is supposed to protect the fish when they queued up for spawning.  It used to be that the closed season was a little too early- i.e., you could still get in on the action after the May opening.  With warmer climate and earlier ice out, the opposite is true - the closed season is too late.  DEC needs to adjust their dates to get with the times.

I don't target walleyes anymore, prefer chasing perch.  I've heard that they catch 'eyes in the South end of the lake (Browns Beach and beyond) but those who are successful stay out for several hours after dark.  No personal experience with this in years, however.  The only decent walleye I caught in recent years was in fairly shallow water when I went out from Fitch road before light one day a couple of years ago.  I caught a sub-legal one jigging for perch this year (along with bass, rock bass, sunnies, gills, perch, and believe it or not a good sized bullhead).

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:52 AM »

havent had much or a hard time findem ... theres years that are good and some bad. I tend to do pretty decent on toga just about every time... spend alot of time searchin tho iv been on this lake my whole life but to this day can still amaze me and challange me.. all the picture are from a diffrent day except the two bass. . Have akot more pica of diffrent days but trying to do this through the phone is tough... alls i can say to people is get a map and do ur research... i see the same thing every weekend everyone crowds the same places on that lake .. south end and fitch... theres the whole lake out there but people walk on and see a bunch of folk and think hey they must be getting into fish if theres this many people that close... cant do the same routine year in and year out.. water changes fish get older and smarter... good luck to u all and get out there before the ice is gone !

Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:52 AM »
I think the walleye population took a big hit the last couple of years due to early iceout and the meat hunters that took advantage to fish the mouth of the Kaydeross prior to the season closing.  Did a lot of damage.

My buddies and I have discussed this very topic, especially after the warm winters we have had the past two years. It has been a free for all down at the Kay, a lot of guys taking way over there daily limits... taking 5 in the morning and another 5 at night... and worse there keeping the big breeder females... It has also lead to a lot more trash down there... but the way this years going, that may not be an issue... we should have ice through March 15th...
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2014, 02:00 PM »
I love saratoga been fishing it for years. Heres the deal IMO. All access areas are not very good most of the ice season, you really gotta have the drive to understand what these different species do in this lake. Aside from gills and bass which are much easier to pattern and find, the crappie/walleye guys who know what they are doing I can promise you are not on here to post pictures and let the whole community know the details lol. You gotta follow these fish on seasonal patterns, and punch lots a holes and do your home work. I love that this lake is challenging, the weed growth is a huge problem and has relocated seasonal schooling patterns of crappie and walleye. My 2 cents.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:00 PM »
I love saratoga been fishing it for years. Heres the deal IMO. All access areas are not very good most of the ice season, you really gotta have the drive to understand what these different species do in this lake. Aside from gills and bass which are much easier to pattern and find, the crappie/walleye guys who know what they are doing I can promise you are not on here to post pictures and let the whole community know the details lol. You gotta follow these fish on seasonal patterns, and punch lots a holes and do your home work. I love that this lake is challenging, the weed growth is a huge problem and has relocated seasonal schooling patterns of crappie and walleye. My 2 cents.

I agree on the access points...many of the "good" spots are a long walk from fitch road or the south end...you can't just walk out and join the crowd and expect to kill them every time.  Saratoga isn't that big of a lake but it makes me wish I had a wheeler sometimes.  Oh well, that is why I have a boat ;D

Also although few people really fish for them because not many like to eat them I've had some fantastic (100 fish) nights bullhead fishing out on the boat on open water in the spring and summer.  Find a nice private spot and double anchor in 10-15 feet of water over a muddy bottom, throw out some cut bait on an ultralight set up and sit back and relax while you can because when they come in you will be busy..  I've caught several honest 16 inchers out of there before and I think there are bigger ones as well. I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of record is broken from out of there.  Oh yeah, and trust me, a 16 inch bullhead can be pretty fun on 2 lb line.  If you're stuck on shore the state launch can be ok as well but nothing beats finding a new spot.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:59 PM »
The bullhead in this amd ballston lake are awesome... great eating fish too and like you said on a 7 ' ultra light crappie set up its a fun fight

Offline PeterC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Great posts- I was off Brown's today pretty slow. I am determined to figure this lake out.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Went off of fitch today walked way out to the 28 feet range and still only a smallmouth bass and a couple dink perch and sunny. I had 5 tip-ups out....NOTHING....I also was giving each hole 5 minutes...If I didn't see anything I would move to the next hole...I moved all over that lake today and fished it hard and still...The results were awful AGAIN.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Went off of fitch today walked way out to the 28 feet range and still only a smallmouth bass and a couple dink perch and sunny. I had 5 tip-ups out....NOTHING....I also was giving each hole 5 minutes...If I didn't see anything I would move to the next hole...I moved all over that lake today and fished it hard and still...The results were awful AGAIN.

I had a terrible day today too...a handful of dink perch.  I ended up walking wayyyyyyy out of fitch road, twice as far as the last group and i walked over near the mouth of the kaydeross(but not too close).  I was only out from 2 pm to 3:30 though.   I blame the weather. ;D

Wait a few days and try again...it has been slow on lake george for a lot of people as well.  The fish are moving around/tight lipped right now.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2014, 04:50 AM »
I had a terrible day today too...a handful of dink perch.  I ended up walking wayyyyyyy out of fitch road, twice as far as the last group and i walked over near the mouth of the kaydeross(but not too close).  I was only out from 2 pm to 3:30 though.   I blame the weather. ;D

Watch it near the Kaydeross.  The bay right to the north of the creek mouth can have fish at times but it can also have some tremendous springs.  I've drilled holes in that area that erupted with water from gas that had been building up under the ice.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:30 AM »
Watch it near the Kaydeross.  The bay right to the north of the creek mouth can have fish at times but it can also have some tremendous springs.  I've drilled holes in that area that erupted with water from gas that had been building up under the ice.
x2 its a mine feild over there with them..

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:30 AM »
That's the only part of the lake I stay away from,to many blow holes for me. And there are new ones every year. Sat was a good day started at Fitch in the dark caught 0 left at 8 am went south with friends caught 40 perch kept 15 keepers,just jigged. Sun a lot slower started out gangbuster then you had to work for them the single fish would not bite if there were 2 you could get 1 to trigger. Ended up with 14 keepers sun.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:55 AM »
That's the only part of the lake I stay away from,to many blow holes for me. And there are new ones every year. Sat was a good day started at Fitch in the dark caught 0 left at 8 am went south with friends caught 40 perch kept 15 keepers,just jigged. Sun a lot slower started out gangbuster then you had to work for them the single fish would not bite if there were 2 you could get 1 to trigger. Ended up with 14 keepers sun.
nice the perch this year have been fussy... but my thought is i think we had such a good hatch this year in two years were going to have one hell of a perch year ... i was fishing in 16' and my graph was solid with perch all the way to 5 ' i was sight fishing at that poit but they were all small but i did see a few nice ones its just the little guys are more fierce and i found jiggin a larfer rap or a big pimple weeded out the small guys tho i was still cathing the dinks wich was crazy.. the spoons i was using were at least 2-3 times the size of em... got a trick for ya ill pm you

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:58 AM »
Some people just cant admit there's bad days....I wish that everyone would just be honest.
been honest. Didnt say i havent had a bad day but at the same token iv only had one so fsr on THAT LAKE... found new spots that have just continualy produced. And theres the proof. Alot of people have a hard time beliveing someone having a good year.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:40 AM »

100% couldn't agree more.  SPOT ON!

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:22 AM »
One of the best spots for eyes and crappies is walked right on pass by many people who figure that the area is garbage.  Walleye and crappies are looking for the same structure and areas just have to find those areas on the lake.      The 7 foot flat holds eyes and don't be afraid to fish near docks near drop offs for crappies.    And I learned years ago don't post picks on here that give away your location.  Sorry but there are 10000's of guest that are looking for a hand out.     
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:59 AM »
I have no doubt that their is some good eyes in that lake and I was catching some nice perch about a week ago but it all has stopped and the fishing has been terrible...not just for me for everyone.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:31 PM »
Not everyone.      Pm sent
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline buckshot1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:39 PM »
i have been fishing at toga for years since i was a little kid and i almost gave it up because the only fish i like to catch is walleye and perch. i went there a few times this year to some of my good spots where the walleye used to be and nothing but i did go there one day and was catching big perch on tip ups and jigging and that was the only time and then went back a couple more times and only bought small perch but i want to find a better spot for the eyes before the season is over.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:09 PM »
no idea why, but the Northern pike population has declined big time and the largemouth bass size is down. All year long during the bass season, winning bags are 7-10lbs for 5 fish. Thats HORRID! 7 years ago you wouldnt be in the money if you didnt come in with a 20lb bag.

IMO, if all the dumb weed control stuff that goes on. Screwing up spawning grounds for the fish and baitfish. Without proper weed growth, the baitfish dont reproduce. Without them, well you know whats going on.
[/quote there are a lot of smaller bass, but I still think there is a good amount of larger bass in my opinion. People need tobstart keeping the 12 - 13 inches. I fish that lake a lot, tournaments included, spring through fall and see and catch a lot of nice fish. Last spring, trolling around the shallows, I saw a lot of pike that would make you think twice about swimming in that water. Mannings cove to be exact. I really think that lake is turning into a deep fishing lake, meaning most of the bigger, more mature fish, are moving  deeper. Not saying that you can't find some in less than 10 ft. As for the walleye, last year, while fishing for bullhead off snake hill, I watch a guy come within 40 yards of us, catch a walleye. There are a lot of guys that target them all night, as there was that night. What they did to the weeds is horrible. I stopped shocking it which is a plus, unless theybstarted that .bs again. They need to get rid of those cutters!

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:16 PM »
One of the best spots for eyes and crappies is walked right on pass by many people who figure that the area is garbage.  Walleye and crappies are looking for the same structure and areas just have to find those areas on the lake.      The 7 foot flat holds eyes and don't be afraid to fish near docks near drop offs for crappies.    And I learned years ago don't post picks on here that give away your location.  Sorry but there are 10000's of guest that are looking for a hand out.   
I totally agree!

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:01 PM »
I think OXYGEN is also very important on this lake being so small and weedy. Ice gets thick, weeds die, O2 goes way down and many species just don't eat as much due to metabolism slowing down. So this time of year it's expected to have slow days, and we forget about this I think. Really love the challenge here though, and I am determined to figure the dang walleye out. Just always so many places to fish and so little time!!!!!

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #59 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:04 PM »
This a little off topic..but I forgot to tell you guys I saw an airplane land in mannings cove it was awesome ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.