New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 222884 times)

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:11 PM »
I haven't seen a BS thread for saratoga lake..SO..... I figured why not!

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:14 PM »
Headed up to the launch tomorrow...im gonna throw up some tip-ups and hopefully get a walleye or a pike and jig for some perch ;D

Offline redneckrmsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:22 PM »
good luck :tipup:

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2014, 12:44 AM »
if anyone catches some walleyes post me some pics. just waiting to see some more toga eyes.
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Offline frozenby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:20 AM »
I am hoping for perch jigging, hope to get out this weekend. I am new to the lake though so...

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:02 AM »
Good luck guys. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:04 AM »
I like this idea.   Good luck at the launch today.  Be prepared for some dink perch ;D

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2014, 06:34 AM »
Thanks guys and yes I know all about the dink perch unfortunately  :P

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2014, 06:48 AM »
I plan on heading out tomorrow.  Will be fishing the South end.  Is there any snow on the ice or do I need the creepers?

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:10 AM »
There's snow,and over 14" of ice.

Offline PeterC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:58 AM »
I am curious. I think the Walleye population in Saratoga does not jive with the numbers given by DEC for the stocking program. I know the survival rate is extremely low for fingerlings, but given the numbers and size of the lake in comparison to ohters it would seem the Walleye fishing would be better than the fair grading I would give it. Any opinions? Who authenticates the stocking? 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:07 AM »
the walleye population has declined dramatically within the last 7 years.

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:09 AM »
the walleye population has declined dramatically within the last 7 years.
Anybody know why? I can't stand the fact that there's no reliable hardwater walleye fishery inbetween Greene County (where I live) to Onieda lake. They're my absolute favorite eating fish and I have to work all ice season to find maybe a couple....

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:15 AM »
no idea why, but the Northern pike population has declined big time and the largemouth bass size is down. All year long during the bass season, winning bags are 7-10lbs for 5 fish. Thats HORRID! 7 years ago you wouldnt be in the money if you didnt come in with a 20lb bag.

IMO, if all the dumb weed control stuff that goes on. Screwing up spawning grounds for the fish and baitfish. Without proper weed growth, the baitfish dont reproduce. Without them, well you know whats going on.

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I've noticed the same thing with Saratoga the past few years.  Plenty of small pickerel/perch/crappies, but not much in the way of decent walleyes.  I've explored many of my old honey holes without much change in walleye production.   Used to also catch plenty of largemouth bass/pike through the ice, but they too seem to be much smaller.  I have had better luck on Lake Lonely the past few years, but there aren't any walleyes to be found on Lake Lonely.
Only problem on Lake Lonely are the 4-wheelers/snowmobiles tearing up the walking trail and all the trash left by inconsiderate users.  This keeps up and we are going to lose a great fishing area.   I fill up a trash bag picking up along Union Ave. parking area and the trail into Lake Lonely almost each time I use that facility.  WAKE UP USERS AND PROTECT OUR RESOURCE!

Eagle Ed

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I have been ice fishing 'Toga for over ten years and it sure isn't what it used to be.  A limit of eyes was common, lots of jumbo perch and the occasional large pike.  I also agree that the weed control program has effected the fishery.  It's a case of property owners wanting a weed free waterfront versus the fisherman.  Guess who pays the taxes to the Towns that surround the lake...hint...it's not the fisherman.  As the property values have soared in recent years, so has the tax base.  Afterall, who would want a quarter million dollar, half million dollar or more house on a weed choked lake?  Just my opinion...

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:30 AM »
no idea why, but the Northern pike population has declined big time and the largemouth bass size is down. All year long during the bass season, winning bags are 7-10lbs for 5 fish. Thats HORRID! 7 years ago you wouldnt be in the money if you didnt come in with a 20lb bag.

IMO, if all the dumb weed control stuff that goes on. Screwing up spawning grounds for the fish and baitfish. Without proper weed growth, the baitfish dont reproduce. Without them, well you know whats going on.

Gone are the halcyon days of needing a 4lb average just to get in the money....thanks to the weed eradication...thank you DEC and Saratoga Lake Association!

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2014, 01:24 PM »

Well this was my day at the launch.....I figured I could turn a negative into a positive and throw some of these guys on my tip ups but still nothing....It seems like lately the fishing hasn't been good wherever I go.

Offline PeterC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Just a possible along with my earlier post. I had never fished for Crappie on Toga before three years ago. Man they are numerous in the spring-perhaps they are eating the young of other species.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:40 PM »
I won't give up on toga just yet

Offline Jazzangler442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:08 PM »
I havent had much luck lately on Saratoga Lake myself...I must admit this is my first year Ice Fishing but my fish catching has decreased over the past 2 weeks. 

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:16 PM »
I havent had much luck lately on Saratoga Lake myself...I must admit this is my first year Ice Fishing but my fish catching has decreased over the past 2 weeks.
x2

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:01 PM »
I've been jigging up decent perch in deep25fow by the hill.

Offline Jazzangler442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:51 PM »
I've been jigging up decent perch in deep25fow by the hill.
By Fitch Rd?

Offline frozenby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:18 AM »
Well, tried jigging. All blue gill and one crappie. Not one perch! Some holes clear of weeds, and 5 feet over solid weed cover. About 8 feet of water. Perhaps I gotta get into deeper water for crappies/perch?

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:32 AM »
Been up and down for me to. One sat got my limit by noon of walleyes with a 5 &a 4 lbr with a half bucket of perch next day 2 perch. Following weekend four of us 106 big perch sun 10. I'm just going to fish sat..lol

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:28 AM »
I've been fishing Saratoga for 45 years and yes it has seen better days.  I think the weed programs have been bad for the fish (they say the poisons they are using aren't toxic but they are removing the habitat!).  My best years were around 1980, just before the weed programs got going for serious.  In the early 1980's I had some evenings with 25 walleyes.

Good news, the panfish are thriving.  All those dink perch will grow.  And hint, hint, look around until you get away from the dinks.  The keepers are still around, they just don't seem to be schooling up like the dinks.  Yesterday we caught 15 keepers but had to be patient at each hole (they did not bite immediately) and be willing to move around.

I think the walleye population took a big hit the last couple of years due to early iceout and the meat hunters that took advantage to fish the mouth of the Kaydeross prior to the season closing.  Did a lot of damage. 

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:43 AM »
Hopefully in a couple years all those dinks will be nice keepers ;D

Offline frozenby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Well, we had ok luck for BlueGill, but no perch/crappie. We were in about 8 feet of water. Perhaps those fish are out deeper?

Offline Rainonme37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Fished off Fitch rd yesterday. 5 bass flags and 1 large pickerel. Everyone is saying the same thing about toga. Very slow year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.