New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373042 times)

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 25, 2011, 06:20 AM »
December 17th 2010 -  ;D

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 25, 2011, 08:11 AM »
ffp was that black lake?

Offline ICEMASTER59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 25, 2011, 11:52 AM »
fish out of Guffin Bay Resort on open water but never on hard water, thinking of making a trip this winter. Do you need any special license on-wheeler or sidebyside to travel on ice in NY? Down here we can`t even use them to fish,but that is a large area to fish on foot.  Thanks  IM59  (I agree that Bryan is a great guy!!)

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #33 on: Nov 25, 2011, 01:26 PM »
ffp was that black lake?
YUP - Mile Arm Bay  ;D

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #34 on: Nov 25, 2011, 01:28 PM »
fish out of Guffin Bay Resort on open water but never on hard water, thinking of making a trip this winter. Do you need any special license on-wheeler or sidebyside to travel on ice in NY? Down here we can`t even use them to fish,but that is a large area to fish on foot.  Thanks  IM59  (I agree that Bryan is a great guy!!)
You need registration, insurance and follow the rules - helmets, no two-up unless the machine was designed for it, etc, etc.  Don't know if NY honors a PA ATV registration.

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 26, 2011, 05:38 AM »
ffp, I noticed you have some kind of shield on the front of your wheeler. Did you make that? Never fails, hands frozen by the time I run a couple of miles to my spot.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2011, 05:47 AM »
plowman you can buy windshields for your wheeler.  I have hand guards on mine they dont work that great.  thinking about buying hand warmers for it but im not sure if im going to use it that much now that i bought another sled and I use my 3 wheeler on days there is no snow usually.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:03 AM »
ffp, I noticed you have some kind of shield on the front of your wheeler. Did you make that? Never fails, hands frozen by the time I run a couple of miles to my spot.
It's a Polaris Tall windshield; you can get all kinds of them in different sizes and forms.  Mine covers the hand areas too.  I also use heated grips and thumb throttle.  I would do without the windshield before the heated grips.  You can get the heated grip kits and do them yourself - pretty easy install, if you are handy.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:31 AM »
YUP - Mile Arm Bay  ;D

maybe i will give black lake a try this year  :blink:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:39 AM »
maybe i will give black lake a try this year  :blink:
Need directions?  ::)

Long range forecast, starting late next week, is looking promising  @)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:59 AM »
Need directions?  ::)

Long range forecast, starting late next week, is looking promising  @)

if i get lost i'll call ya  ;D

Offline Aminitaverosa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:24 PM »
i fish true northern new york.  lake champlain, hudson river, lake george, saranac lake, and my favorite are the hundreds of small Adirondack ponds

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #42 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:26 PM »
i fish true northern new york.  lake champlain, hudson river, lake george, saranac lake, and my favorite are the hundreds of small Adirondack ponds
Those sweet, sweet ADK ponds. We need cold temps asap.

Offline Aminitaverosa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:28 PM »
i know! its been so warm. my prediction is december 10th

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:33 PM »
I hope you are right. Last year I was on the ice Dec. 16th.

Offline Aminitaverosa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:36 PM »
i was on the ice the 9th of december last year. so im keeping my fingers crossed

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:39 PM »
This year I have no college limiting my ice fishing time so I am breaking out my early ice gear and spud.

Offline Aminitaverosa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:41 PM »
thats great! good luck!

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #48 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:10 AM »
Does anyone here know of any Crappie and Bluegill action near Massena/Waddington. I'm new up here and have heard of the occasional crappie in Coles Creek but was wondering if there were any nearby locations that held these fellas? Also, was wondering about Norwood Lake. Seemed like a decent body of water for panfish. Any info appreciated.

So far since I've been up here all I hear about in this area is Hawkins Point and Coles Creek...... There's too much water out there for these to be the only two safe ice / fishable locations..... Like I said ANY info is appreciated for any and all species in this area of NNY.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #49 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:28 AM »
tupper lake, saranac chains, and few other local productive small lakes......
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #50 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:39 AM »
ICE DOG 69 checking in!   YEAH !!!!!!!  I can feel it in the blood, I swear I turn into a snowman come ICE time.  Up till last year I never wore gloves on the ICE, sucks getting OLD at 41 now I am starting to slow a bit but with the age also comes the experience and I am looking forward to hitting my favorite Walleye and perch spots on the St. Lawrence as well as hammering the perch on my home lake, Chateaugay Lake!

Glad to be back on the Shanty!  Couple more weeks of hunting then I will be a regular!
hey Ice Dog, we gotta hook up this year, i will keep my eye on the" pond" and let you know!!!
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #51 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Does anyone here know of any Crappie and Bluegill action near Massena/Waddington. I'm new up here and have heard of the occasional crappie in Coles Creek but was wondering if there were any nearby locations that held these fellas? Also, was wondering about Norwood Lake. Seemed like a decent body of water for panfish. Any info appreciated.

So far since I've been up here all I hear about in this area is Hawkins Point and Coles Creek...... There's too much water out there for these to be the only two safe ice / fishable locations..... Like I said ANY info is appreciated for any and all species in this area of NNY.
Don't hear much about Norwood "Pond".  They use to stock that with Walleye but I do not know the status.  I would bet there are decent Pike in there.  Crappie in the Waddington area - there are a few spots; Whitehouse Bay and the waters to the inland side of the bridge in Waddington (upstream from the boat launch).  Then there is Black Lake.

Offline Aminitaverosa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Nov 27, 2011, 11:01 AM »
tupper lake, saranac chains, and few other local productive small lakes......

if you are up in that area, i would make the journey to black lake.  there are massive crappie in there. 

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #53 on: Nov 27, 2011, 11:05 AM »

if you are up in that area, i would make the journey to black lake.  there are massive crappie in there.
would like to someday but almost a 2 hour drive for me, too many other good places around here to fish. granted, not for crappie, but everything else

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #54 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:29 PM »
looking forward to fishing black lake for the first time.

Offline sanko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Nov 27, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Think cold think ice  and little snow

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #56 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Don't hear much about Norwood "Pond".  They use to stock that with Walleye but I do not know the status.  I would bet there are decent Pike in there.  Crappie in the Waddington area - there are a few spots; Whitehouse Bay and the waters to the inland side of the bridge in Waddington (upstream from the boat launch).  Then there is Black Lake.

Appreciate the info. Yeah I hear the Pike action in these parts is pretty good, I just don't really target those stink log's during hardwater time. Well I'll definatley give it a good effort to pull up as many of those slabs as I can from this area but prob gonna have to venture to Black Lake a few times or so more than likely. Bring on those sub zero temp's already!!!!! :tipup:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #57 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Appreciate the info. Yeah I hear the Pike action in these parts is pretty good, I just don't really target those stink log's during hardwater time.  Bring on those sub zero temp's already!!!!! :tipup:

Best tasting fish there is in the winter months.  Just got to learn how to filet them, that's all.   :flex: :icefish:

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:36 AM »
Ever fish an area on the Oswegatchie called "Chaumont"?  Not the bay off Lake Ontario.  I've seen some nice pike and crappie come from there.

Past the bridge in Richville?  Seen some monster pike come out of there and the ice freezes there first every year...
Get out of the house...go fishing!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #59 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:23 AM »

Past the bridge in Richville?  Seen some monster pike come out of there and the ice freezes there first every year...

This would be just outside of Newton Falls - downstream.  Off the River Road.  River is not generally "crossable" on the ice because of current - the "pond" is other side of the river from the boat launch there.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.