New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373041 times)

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
Northern NY Thread!
« on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:07 AM »
Everytime you sign on here its all about Central NY lakes and ponds...How about a thread for those who fish northern Ny waters. I fish the st. Lawrence, black lake, Butterfield, Cranberry, Lake of the isles, grass lake, and red lake. I look forward to talking with you local anglers more than what is happening in syracuse or buffalo. December 15th last year was my first outing on Black Lake for first ice, lets hope these temperatures drop and we can hit it soon! Tight Lines!
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:24 AM »
I used to fish Cranberry lake when I was at wanakena.  Still do in the summer time when I am camping up there.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:13 PM »
Fish a lot at Fourth Lake and Delta Lake(south border line CNY).

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2011, 05:17 AM »
Ill keep my eye on this thread because this year I really want to make a trip up to lake of the isle so hopefully I can find some info on here about it.  Any one know if Lake of the Isle freezes over earlier then oneida?

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2011, 05:21 AM »
It freezes over rather early as it is pretty shallow, as compared to other lakes I have no idea. It is worth the trip, or atleast it has been for me.
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2011, 05:30 AM »
Glad to see a northern N.Y. thread. My fish camp is on the St. Lawrence. Spent years fishing on it. Mostly like to float into Canada. As for the hard water, Chaumont Bay is my absolute favorite slab of ice. Anyone that fishes it knows why. A real thing of beauty.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2011, 05:41 AM »
Fish Black Lake a LOT.  Fish a bay in Ogdensburg quite a bit for the night walleye bite.  I can get there after work with no problem.  I've been on all the Indian River Chain of lakes.  Been to Lake of the Isles a couple of times, and other river bays up this way; don't know how early it freezes but generally the river bays are a bit later than the inland lakes up here.  Really depends on the weather and snow cover.  Want to get on Chaumont this winter.
Also like to travel to Oneida and would like to try out Sandy this winter.
There are a lot of good areas that walkers can get to and there are a lot areas that you would want some kind of transportation, either because of the distance or the difficult snow/slush conditions we can have.

Be safe out there this season.  @)

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2011, 06:50 AM »
I can find you those "finicky fish" on Sandy FFP. I've got some good perch spots on Chaumont too. Let me know when you are going and if I can't make it i'll point you in the right direction. ;) Cheeks out!!! @)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2011, 06:51 AM »
Glad to see a northern N.Y. thread. My fish camp is on the St. Lawrence. Spent years fishing on it. Mostly like to float into Canada. As for the hard water, Chaumont Bay is my absolute favorite slab of ice. Anyone that fishes it knows why. A real thing of beauty.

And the past couple mornings there have been pieces of skim ice floating on the bay, water temps were 39 degrees back on the 15th....won't be long now.....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline oswegatchieEd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2011, 06:56 AM »
Live near Star Lake. Fish Black, Bonaparte, Star, Cranberry and Carry Falls ( summer). Not a good year last year for me, To much snow on the ice. Need my Ranger 4x4 to get out and the snow and slush was to much. Hope this year is better. Lets keep this North Country thread going.

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:04 AM »
And the past couple mornings there have been pieces of skim ice floating on the bay, water temps were 39 degrees back on the 15th....won't be long now.....
Sweet!!!! Cheeks out!!! @)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Glad to see this thread, I fish all around the thousand islands area, black lake and the indian river lakes.  Thanks!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Live near Star Lake. Fish Black, Bonaparte, Star, Cranberry and Carry Falls ( summer). Not a good year last year for me, To much snow on the ice. Need my Ranger 4x4 to get out and the snow and slush was to much. Hope this year is better. Lets keep this North Country thread going.

Ever fish an area on the Oswegatchie called "Chaumont"?  Not the bay off Lake Ontario.  I've seen some nice pike and crappie come from there.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Ever fish an area on the Oswegatchie called "Chaumont"?  Not the bay off Lake Ontario.  I've seen some nice pike and crappie come from there.

The Oswegatchie has some really nice fishing.  Heard the dam broke in Huevelton and lost most of the water above it.  Not sure how that is going to affect my spots this winter...
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:06 AM »
The Oswegatchie has some really nice fishing.  Heard the dam broke in Huevelton and lost most of the water above it.  Not sure how that is going to affect my spots this winter...
I believe the dam was out for a week or so - maybe two.  Interesting, because you could see the "natural" state of the river, before the dam.  I don't know if it has much affect on the fishing.  Maybe while the water was low, the fish were a bit more "concentrated" and easier to find.  ;D

Maybe we'll get a super-cold winter, freezing many of the shallow areas of the waterways and thus concentrating the fish for an easier "catch".  I would not miss the "opportunity".  ;D

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2011, 04:06 PM »
ICE DOG 69 checking in!   YEAH !!!!!!!  I can feel it in the blood, I swear I turn into a snowman come ICE time.  Up till last year I never wore gloves on the ICE, sucks getting OLD at 41 now I am starting to slow a bit but with the age also comes the experience and I am looking forward to hitting my favorite Walleye and perch spots on the St. Lawrence as well as hammering the perch on my home lake, Chateaugay Lake!

Glad to be back on the Shanty!  Couple more weeks of hunting then I will be a regular!

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2011, 04:06 PM »
  Have a summer camp on Hyde Lake. Been on those Indian River Lakes a couple of times and if they freeze up early my get up that way. I've talked to a couple of you guys on here before so keep the word out on how these lakes are doing...Good Thread! Never been to Sandy and a friend has access to Guffins, like to try that or Chaumont some time...

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2011, 04:45 PM »
  Have a summer camp on Hyde Lake. Been on those Indian River Lakes a couple of times and if they freeze up early my get up that way. I've talked to a couple of you guys on here before so keep the word out on how these lakes are doing...Good Thread! Never been to Sandy and a friend has access to Guffins, like to try that or Chaumont some time...

You can park at the marina at Guffins and access the ice anytime.  Bryan is very congenial, sells bait and some tackle, and only charges 5 bucks for parking, he's plowing the lot early in the morning and keeps the ramp to the ice well maintained..

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2011, 04:48 PM »

You can park at the marina at Guffins and access the ice anytime.  Bryan is very congenial, sells bait and some tackle, and only charges 5 bucks for parking, he's plowing the lot early in the morning and keeps the ramp to the ice well maintained..

I second that! Great people
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2011, 05:02 AM »
Good info, Esox. Anybody needs info about the Chaumont Bay area, Esox Slayer is the guy to ask. (hope you don't mind) Fished with him once last year. He's got some tricks. Hope to fish with him again this year.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2011, 05:32 AM »
Good info, Esox. Anybody needs info about the Chaumont Bay area, Esox Slayer is the guy to ask. (hope you don't mind) Fished with him once last year. He's got some tricks. Hope to fish with him again this year.

Let's get after 'em again this year ! 

Rig some stuff for walleyes because we're heading to a couple spots (close to where you and I fished last year) that are gonna produce.

Offline oswegatchieEd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2011, 05:54 AM »
Have not fished Chaumont "Pond" myself but know people that do and they do well at times. Its between Cranberry Lake and Newton Falls.

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2011, 05:10 PM »
I'm on it

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 24, 2011, 05:33 PM »
I'm on it

I'm planning on setting 3 tip ups for pike, and 2 for the eyes each time out this year..bought a couple of the round Frabills for the light tripping action.....

Offline blue_lund

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Great thread!  When I was stationed at Fort Drum and later at college in Canton I use to fish all these lakes.  We are going back 15 to 20 years now.  Red Lake was the first lake I caught a pike on a tip up and my first 25"+ walleye one summer morning casting countdown rapalas from my canoe.  Caught my first 10+ pound pike ice fishing Sandy Pond and discovered night fishing for crappie in mile arm bay of Black Lake.  Had a 30 pike afternoon ice fishing butterfield lake one day with my girlfriend at the time who I have been married to for almost 14 years now.  We had to have over 50 flags that afternoon.

Yep definitely a sportsman paradise up there.  I wish the Albany area was a couple hours closer than it is!

Dwayne

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:05 AM »
Never did much tip up fishing. Will make sure I have them in the sled this year. What's the difference between tip-ups and tip-downs?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:12 AM »
Never did much tip up fishing. Will make sure I have them in the sled this year. What's the difference between tip-ups and tip-downs?
Never used a tip-down.  I know quite a few folks make their own.

TIP-DOWNS

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:26 AM »

I'll bring a couple of my tip down along this winter, hand made by a guy in Oxbow, NY.  These aren't the cheapie plastic or pvc things you see a lot of, these are made from oak, are very compact and are designed to not be either pulled down a hole nor to be prone to tipping over.

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:29 AM »
I don't know, but it would seem that a tip-down would have a greater chance of gut hooking a fish than a tip-up. Does this make sense?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #29 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:54 AM »
I don't know, but it would seem that a tip-down would have a greater chance of gut hooking a fish than a tip-up. Does this make sense?
All depends on what you are looking to accomplish.  Some folks like eating fish.  ;D
I do, when it's fresh.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.