New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1025847 times)

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #840 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Buckeyes are same as Emeralds just called by various names in certain regions.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #841 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:38 AM »
When I was a kid the old timers also called them icicles

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #842 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:08 PM »
6"-7" of snow  ???.....maybe got 3-4" total on south shore.......lake has anywhere from 1" to 6" of powdery drifted snow.......sleds should be good to go....wheeler worked fine......slippery as hell under it.....still recommend cleats......perch were pretty active till 9:30 then 1 here and there.....ended up with 25....quit at 11:00

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #843 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:56 PM »

Well done guys

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #844 on: Jan 31, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Nice fish guys....i was talking about rite in lennox on the lake...or lakeport...i didnt realize i work 6 minutes from lakeport...not to familiar with that area..

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #845 on: Jan 31, 2018, 01:22 PM »
Thanks guys

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #846 on: Jan 31, 2018, 01:37 PM »
wow.....whiteout here in maple bay.....not gonna last long though

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #847 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Well done on the fish Scout. Hope some of that blows off, tough on the walkers. Guess maybe it's time to register the wheeler, just hate dragging it down salty roads.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #848 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:38 PM »
Nice fish guys....i was talking about rite in lennox on the lake...or lakeport...i didnt realize i work 6 minutes from lakeport...not to familiar with that area..

Sorry big guy I thought you were talking about the large pond 🤪Lewis point is another access , scout 57 gave you the rest

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #849 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:01 PM »
According to an old timer I fish with, he's got over 70 years on Oneida, Buckeyes are Mooneyes and Fatheads are Hardheads lol.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #850 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:08 PM »
According to an old timer I fish with, he's got over 70 years on Oneida, Buckeyes are Mooneyes and Fatheads are Hardheads lol.
I remember when we called the alewife a mooneye.  Anyone remember sawbelly?  Might have been a finger lake term. 

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #851 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:35 PM »
Well done on the fish Scout. Hope some of that blows off, tough on the walkers. Guess maybe it's time to register the wheeler, just hate dragging it down salty roads.
I hear ya Rug........my wheeler is old so not as big a deal for me......unfortunately we just picked up another inch or two in the last 2 hrs....might have to put the sled back on the trailer

Offline caliking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOTTA GET EM' WHILE THE WATER COLD THEY HARD.....
« Reply #852 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:59 PM »
Sorry scout i didn't spend too much time measuring the snow when i walked out this a.m but it sure looked like 6" of fresh fell overnight to me at app's.. we went out this morning and spanked the eyes damn good for a few hours. U guys have it made out there I'd fish the big O everyday if i lived near it. We took full advantage of our three day trip that's for sure.. back on my home turf in the a.m for some Erie eyes

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #853 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:09 PM »
We definitely got 6" of snow last night on the north shore. Should be perfect for sleds now.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #854 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Sorry scout i didn't spend too much time measuring the snow when i walked out this a.m but it sure looked like 6" of fresh fell overnight to me at app's.. we went out this morning and spanked the eyes damn good for a few hours. U guys have it made out there I'd fish the big O everyday if i lived near it. We took full advantage of our three day trip that's for sure.. back on my home turf in the a.m for some Erie eyes
good job on the eyes.........glad you guys had fun........lake effect snow band must have been a little more intense up there......a couple miles makes a big difference sometimes

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #855 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Boy it does on Oneida, that's for sure Scout.
Sometimes when I left the lake heading home from the North Shore when it was snowing so bad you couldn't see either shore, I'd drive over the bridge heading south on Rt 81 and look at the lake and see nothing but a HUGE white snow cloud over the water...And I would be in blue skies, just on the Rt 81 bridge and all the way home.
It was an awesome sight I saw more than once. Snowing on the lake and not very far around it... And I was smilin' with fish in the bucket sayin' what a grand day it was.

Caliking, you and your buddy come back soon. Oneida will humble you sometimes, like you've read here; but it sure is sweet when she's good to you.
I really enjoyed your story too by the way and glad you hammered 'em on your last day. :tipup:

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #856 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Rumor has it that the bite was going to be bad today.... hmmm....🤔 Friend of mine, lives 2 hours away, who has only icefished Oneida maybe a dozen times in his life.... went catching today. He iced 13 keeper sized eyes, lots of short eyes and took home 11 or so perch. Not too shabby for a bad bite.
I don’t believe in bad barometers, moon phases, alignment of stars, power auger noise, the guy who’s passing gas while sitting on a bucket is spooking fish from biting. 😁 What I do believe in is.... when I get a chance to go fishing...I’ll go fishing!! 😎 End of story!!!
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #857 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:41 PM »
Rumor has it that the bite was going to be bad today.... hmmm....🤔 Friend of mine, lives 2 hours away, who has only icefished Oneida maybe a dozen times in his life.... went catching today. He iced 13 keeper sized eyes, lots of short eyes and took home 11 or so perch. Not too shabby for a bad bite.
I don’t believe in bad barometers, moon phases, alignment of stars, power auger noise, the guy who’s passing gas while sitting on a bucket is spooking fish from biting. 😁 What I do believe in is.... when I get a chance to go fishing...I’ll go fishing!! 😎 End of story!!!
.   Agree!!!!! It’s nice to have an excuse lined up before hand if it doesn’t go well though.  ;)

Offline caliking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #858 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:45 PM »
I hear ya Kp.. Believe me i read this thread religiously as do thousands of other diehards or weekend warriors or even folks who don't fish yet or are just getting into it. I knew the bite was gonna slow and i also heard of plenty stories of 50 fish days from my friends that have been out in the past month during the "hot bite".. when the boys said they were heading up for a few days i was up for the challenge and it was a very enjoyable trip with some good memories made. Ice fishing is my passion and there's absolutely nowhere else I'd rather be than sittin on a bucket playing the game with the 🐡🐠🐟🐋🦈🤗

Offline sawdust

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #859 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Amen KP!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #860 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:01 AM »

I agree KP , how many times I’ve posted Something similar over the years ,great post KP ,

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #861 on: Feb 01, 2018, 03:42 AM »
I agree KP , how many times I’ve posted Something similar over the years ,great post KP ,
X2!!
Wayne W.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #862 on: Feb 01, 2018, 05:05 AM »
I have never had a bad barometer, every one I have owned has worked just fine.  ;D

Yesterday should have been a good baro, it was dropping most of the day...

Hopefully today is a good baro day.  ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #863 on: Feb 01, 2018, 05:21 AM »
I have never had a bad barometer, every one I have owned has worked just fine.  ;D
Lol

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #864 on: Feb 01, 2018, 06:03 AM »
Every day is a good day.... there are no bad days!! LIFE IS GOOD!!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #865 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:16 AM »
I have been going out of the north side every weekend. This past weekend for me was a slow bite. For the people fishing out of the north side this week, how has the bite been the last couple of days? Just curious, either way bite good or bad ill be on the ice and enjoying every minute of my time again this weekend.

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #866 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Hit the lake this am and landed on a school on my 3rd spot. Got a limit of eaters then experimented a bit with some new lures. There was 2 or 3 inches of snow on the ice with a few wind whipped bare spots. Be careful as the snow has covered up some of the cracks making them harder to see.  As soon as the sun got bright the bite died so I headed back to work. All in all not a bad am

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #867 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Great job again, fishshack. I love getting my limit and then playing around with new stuff seeing what else will get them to go.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #868 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:29 PM »
north shore humbled me today...again.....out of apps at sunrise and went west.......not many guys out.......could not find keepers.....4 shorts and could have kept 5 perch....all went back......tried 6 spots to no avail......guess I'm just a south side guy ;).....ice is great....slick as hell under the snow

Offline caliking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #869 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Were u out around the condos scout? Out to the west around 1-1.5 miles? We did well there for the evening bite one night in ~32' but my buddies went there in the a.m first day n couldn't do much but marked fish most of the morning perch and eyes..  went back to same holes for the evening n smashed em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.