New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1026719 times)

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #720 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:14 AM »
 Not to sidetrack this thread too much..... but I read last night not to use dis soap, it can break down the grease.  Windshield washer fluid can pit the aluminum.The best suggestion I found is to use RV Anti freeze.  It is not toxic and won’t freeze down to -50.    2 or 3 inches of snow would be really nice!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #721 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Well the good thing is that we rarely have this problem on Oneida. Normally have the opposite problem of too much snow!

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #722 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Once back in the 80s I froze up my sliders , nice learning curve , after that it has been a dish soap solution , a squirt now and then and go slow ,
  Far as this barometer thing and moon phase to me it doesn’t matter , I just play the fish cards I’m dealt 😉

Well said on the barometer Freddy I fish when I can and hope they bite. I think it drives us all nuts when we can't catch fish so we try to justify a bad bite on the barometer or something else we can't control.

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #723 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:27 AM »
I’ve got tracks on my 4wheeler do they need lube like a sled?

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #724 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:49 AM »
We working stiffs just plain got bored and started talking barometer. Put the blame on Wang! Lol.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #725 on: Jan 26, 2018, 10:21 AM »
I’ve got tracks on my 4wheeler do they need lube like a sled?
What tracks?  If they are all-season - No.  If they are for snow only, I wouldn't.  I have the Camoplast Tatou 4s system and never have had an issue with them on the ice, bare or not.

Offline Shantymcduff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #726 on: Jan 26, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Can anyone say how the bite is today off Lewis?

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #727 on: Jan 26, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Fp , same tracks,that’s what I was thinking,thanks.  As far as the bite,all lookers for me and not many. I’ve pounded the eyes for 6 days but not today, did lose 2 early.

Offline Ice head Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #728 on: Jan 26, 2018, 11:23 AM »
Can't wait to hit the ice this weekend. It sounds like I'll have to take it slow & easy with the 4wheeler. No chains.

Offline Bug-Eye-Brew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into the Grease
« Reply #729 on: Jan 26, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Just got back from Taft, bite was real slow today, lots of lookers , only eight perch no eyes, small jigging rap , did better without tipping it with a minnow head, perch color ....lots of guys out, all scattered about, ice was 12-14" everwhere I drilled ...
Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter ... Mark Twain

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #730 on: Jan 26, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Well Rug and Moose my spot was dry today did some hole hopping, few marks only 3 small perch that went back. Must be the east wind east is least, west is best lol.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #731 on: Jan 26, 2018, 02:36 PM »
went back to my home turf this morning.....south shore......fish were not very active at all.......12 decent perch that had to be teased to death to hit......made a gentleman at chapman park happy by donating them to his 4 that he got.......ice was making some serious noise today....ice fractured right thru my hut about 11 am......pucker time to say the least........don't forget your ice cleats this weekend fellers....you will regret it if you do

Offline pkosatka09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #732 on: Jan 26, 2018, 02:54 PM »
that makes me uneasy - how much ice was there in front of chapman?

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #733 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:05 PM »
that makes me uneasy - how much ice was there in front of chapman?
plenty of ice......at least 14" where I was........tremor was just normal ice making noise.......there are some cracks forming that need to be paid attention to if you are on machines.....nothing to serious but should be watched......ice is in awesome shape.......be careful with sleds though, no snow for lubrication

Offline pkosatka09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #734 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:12 PM »
thanks Scout for the scouting report!
i'll be out tomorrow morning

Offline kmanz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #735 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Do the bait stores in and around Onieda sell emeralds and fat heads ???  And if so what works best in your guys opinion???
Love the peace ice fishing brings

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #736 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Do the bait stores in and around Onieda sell emeralds and fat heads ???  And if so what works best in your guys opinion???
yes they do.....both are good......some guys like emeralds some like fattys.....all about preference......don't be afraid to downsize with spikes or moussies if you are after perch ;)

Offline kmanz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #737 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:56 PM »
Thanks scout I like emeralds better on my home turf in Sodus but just wanted to see.
Love the peace ice fishing brings

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #738 on: Jan 26, 2018, 04:44 PM »
Filet, I heard about the dish soap solution but have never tried it. Will it freeze up on a cold day?   I bought some real nice scratchers a few years ago but the Polaris 2 up trail I now own has no good place to install them.
Just put in a little wind shield washer fluid in problem solved

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #739 on: Jan 26, 2018, 04:54 PM »
Very true slammy , some guys can’t pick there days , I’m fortunate to be able to after 35 years ,
 I fished with my bud iceaddict today we each had a favorable day with  a limit of eyes and 10 or 11 nice perch but they had to be worked , I’m not a finesse guy where John is , but to me 12 nice perch and 3 16” eyes is a great day

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #740 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Well Rug and Moose my spot was dry today did some hole hopping, few marks only 3 small perch that went back. Must be the east wind east is least, west is best lol.
Well that's not good! Might try some new ground,might not.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #741 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:06 PM »
Good job Fillet sounds like it's a grind out there

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #742 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:38 PM »
F and r, good job I tried all day but only got 1 short. Back to earth after 6 great days

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #743 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:26 PM »
Fished out of Jewel today. From 1:45 until dark. Caught a number of short eyes (~10 or more), 1 keeper eye and 2 perch (kept 1). Felt colder than the forecast due to that wind from the east. Nice day to be outside. Started out at 36 fow and moved once to 30 fow. Good marks on screen but but many of them were window shopping more than eating.

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #744 on: Jan 26, 2018, 11:34 PM »
I live in eastern ny and love ice fishing walleye on saratoga lake. My cousin and I have always wanted to try oneida through the ice. I use to do bass tournaments on it when i was younger and had a blast. Was wondering if anyone could offer some tips on where to start or what depth to target for oneida eye's through the ice. We travel on foot but dont mind walking a mile. Any info would be greatly appreciated. We plan on fishing it next weekend :)
Thanks everyone

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #745 on: Jan 27, 2018, 02:17 AM »

Bass Master If I was on foot I would most likely launch out of App’s bait and tackle or Taft bay , walking is great right now as there is no snow on the ice, look for some structure, depths vary , lately,30-35’ have been producing in good numbers , far as lures and bait ,for  Bait I tip with buckeye heads  ,raps in 3s and 5s med size cast masters and moon shines have been working , some are having luck with pimples and slender spoons ,and be mobile, weekends are crazy get there early for a spot to park , just remember  day trips are tough I would recommend , getting some lodging , if I left anything out I’m sure others will add to this , there are lots of good fishermen on the lake and the NY threads

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #746 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:24 AM »
Bass master I personally would not venture out without my electronics meaning vexilar and navionics but that's just me it makes it faster for me to find biting fish

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #747 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:54 AM »
Hey XC do you suppose all the runoff has something to do with the bite being off over there? High Barometer also?

Offline Theval

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #748 on: Jan 27, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Out on Oneida from Chapman for the first time ever, terribly slow for me

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #749 on: Jan 27, 2018, 03:42 PM »
Out on Oneida from Chapman for the first time ever, terribly slow for me
Don't feel bad, the odds of catching on Oneida on your first trip ever are somewhere around 3%.  It is a hard lake to figure out. Don't let the regulars on here get your hopes up.  They are masters at this and have been prefecting it for years or decades.  Bucket time is the only thing that helps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.