New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1024883 times)

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #420 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:02 PM »
128 perfect ill be there in the AM

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #421 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Congrats Scout, you are on a roll!  I need to get me retired so I can get out.

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #422 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Fished this afternoon until sunset on South East end. Slow but picked up as sun lowered and wind died down. Got a limit and released 5. Dropped 2 heaviest fish on the fight. Nice day.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #423 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:09 PM »
Anyone fish after the sun goes down? Obviously being careful of snowmobiles with proper lighting. Just wondering if the bite dies down at dark? Thinking of staying a few hours after to see what happens.

I’ve posted this before but this year has been the first that I’ve done well after dark on Oneida. Still a flurry at dusk and then they hunker down close to the bottom after dark but you can pick at them.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #424 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:10 PM »
Nice fish Scout and Bigbuck

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #425 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:56 AM »
Went out of Lewis yesterday to several spots 23 -30 fow.   Spotty action early and again late in the afternoon.  Brought home 3 small keepers and a few nice perch between 2 of us.  Ice solid in and out and drag easy with a Smitty sled.  Beautiful day to be out.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #426 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:06 AM »
saw Bridgeport FD heading down to the south shore state launch......5 vehicles with trailers parked there....hope nothing bad happened.....didn't talk to them

Offline mbald123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #427 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:25 AM »
News channel 9 posted something saying guy was trapped on ice off of shackleton point.. maybe crack opened up with this warm up?

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #428 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Cleveland appears to be involved as well.

Hopefully everyone gets off safely.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #429 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Nice Fish

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #430 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:20 AM »

All is well he’s safe and equipment dragged in , caught iton the noon news , didn’t say if it was a gas hole or a week crack

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #431 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:27 AM »
That is good news. Thanks Fred!

Offline tack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #432 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:02 PM »
I'm not looking for GPS coordinates, but a little help. If you had 1 afternoon only for the entire season to take your 3 sons fishing on Oneida (I hope for more but you never know), where would you park and how deep of water would you fish? Kids will target perch, I will target eyes. I have a machine and all the gear, just lacking free time these days. I won't be able to jump around and chase fish as I will surely be busy baiting hooks, passing out snacks, unhooking gloves from lures, checking heater, reminding kids to keep hands out of minnow bucket and holes, etc...... if you had 1 afternoon, where would you park and how deep would you fish? I can take the adventure from there.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #433 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:50 PM »
I'm no expert on Oneida but I would head for Sylvan Beach in your scenario.  Check in with a local bait shot and find out current conditions on ice and fishing.  Not a lot of structure at the beach so you can pick a spot and stay there without scouting out other areas.  Look for the huts, usually 20 feet of water minimum.  Hope thats a start.

Offline shantymaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #434 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Making long ride mid morning to hopefully fish the evening and stay till Sunday Also bringing my quad. So my concern is should I even come down ? Conditions have me nervous so any suggestions from the guys and gals would much be appreciated.Thanks

Offline Mjnoff21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #435 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:53 PM »
anyone know how the north shore looks after the warm up??

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #436 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:56 PM »

Welcome to the site Mjnoff 21

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #437 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Good afternoon folks, I'm hoping to get some info from some of you guys that fish Oneida a lot.
Some friends and I will be coming up to fish the lake for Walleye and Perch February 7,8,9,10 we'll be staying in the Angler's Bay Cottages in Cleveland and fishing the Eastern end of the lake.
The questions I have are...
What do we need to do to be able to legally use ATVs to access the lake?
How many lines can each man have in the water in NY?
What "must have" lures and baits do you suggest and in what colors and sizes do you find them to be most productive?
Any other information, advice, or tips you feel would be helpful would be very much appreciated as well. 
Please feel free to PM me with anything you don't want to put up on the board, and thanks in advance for any help you can give.
We are looking forward to fishing this lake, and maybe getting to meet some of you!

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #438 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:34 PM »
I was out off of North shore today fishing 2 to 3 miles out first mile ice is still a little bumpy but getting better as it warms couple good cracks to cross had to go 1/4 mile to get over one but found a safe solid crossing crack has some good sized shoved up ice out there so be careful traveling I would spud cracks before crossing

Offline snuffynra

• IceShanty Rookie
  • snuffy
« Reply #439 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:21 PM »
I'm not looking for GPS coordinates, but a little help. If you had 1 afternoon only for the entire season to take your 3 sons fishing on Oneida (I hope for more but you never know), where would you park and how deep of water would you fish? Kids will target perch, I will target eyes. I have a machine and all the gear, just lacking free time these days. I won't be able to jump around and chase fish as I will surely be busy baiting hooks, passing out snacks, unhooking gloves from lures, checking heater, reminding kids to keep hands out of minnow bucket and holes, etc...... if you had 1 afternoon, where would you park and how deep would you fish? I can take the adventure from there. we had a good day wed and great day today at williams beach, not sure if you have navionics or something like it. but if you leave williams and take a heading from 0 to 20 degrees you will hit good water ,if your going early 630 7ish head out about .06 mi to 18 ft ,good for walleyes and perch.if you go out few hundred yards of shore into the 16 ft range you will run into lots of perch to keep them kids busy.you can run into some eyes in there also. we have had good luck with jigging raps tipped with minnows ,the perch colors have been the best the last couple days,we took more walleyes with whole minnows and many more perch with just the head or tail of the minnow. ill probably get scolded for giving good intel .LOL but that has always been good areas for many. and good luck.

Offline snuffynra

• IceShanty Rookie
  • snuffy
« Reply #440 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:29 PM »
   My daughter convinced me to head back to Williams's Beach again today. Snow and ice conditions were the same but with the wind up it was brisk. Several folks bucket sitting and moving. The bite was slow and size was small. Shanties were spread out as each hunted for some decent fish. Got several similar reports from others we encountered. The big disappointment was that we left our auger leaning against the post in the park and someone decided they needed it more then us. Thanks to the guys who lent us the open holes !
[/
quote] sorry about the auger, we talked to you when we were leaving, i hope you and your daughter did better in the holes we left, we went out today and it was great in the morning but slowed in the afternoon ,but the big walleyes were out for short time in the am .

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #441 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:17 AM »
They moved us into the 10-15" range for snow tonight and tomorrow. That should take care of the bumps out there at least. No more ice making for a while though.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #442 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:24 AM »
They moved us into the 10-15" range for snow tonight and tomorrow. That should take care of the bumps out there at least. No more ice making for a while though.
hope it flash freezes quickly before the heavy snow starts.....shorelines might be a little screwy with all this runoff and the lake rising

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #443 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:39 AM »
Avoid the creeks,  with all this rain they get under cut causing thin ice a considerable ways out, guys on wheelers take a spud to check before crossing pressure cracks they can be deceiving , play hard and play safe
 And to let guys know the men in green are watching , I got checked out which I don’t have an issue with ,  so make sure all is in order , I’m glad to see them checking , and don’t forget they read our reports 👍🏻🎣

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #444 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:48 AM »

And no more 4 wheelers if that happens. I should have picked up that sled last week.

It already looks smoothed out from the rain in front of me right now too. A lot of that jagged chunk ice appears to be gone and this area had some of the worst. Now it's a crap shoot with all the water on the ice, cold temps coming, mixed precip turning to snow. Should be interesting.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #445 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:04 AM »
Got home late last night from a day trip up to Oneida. Fished south shore  and had a slow day walking.  Some Small white perch and stripers ....some short walleyes and finally a good sized keeper very late, a gift from heaven.
 Headed home with my tail between my legs. Hoping for better action next week.

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #446 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:41 AM »

Engalls performace
Has 1 tundra left as of 2 weeks ago  I’m sure some one might get a nice deal

Offline Tyler2487

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #447 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Anybody have any insight if onieda is gonna be in decent shape come tomorrow ?

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #448 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Well now. I just took the spud and walked out 100 yards or so. Yard is flooded, basement is flooded, lake has a good 6"of water on top out a couple of hundred feet with more pouring on by the minute. The chunk ice is beat down but still making quite a barrier. This is going to be interesting.

The upside is I still saw 12"+ of ice everywhere. But with the weight of the water, wind coming and the cracks we already have it's still going to be dicey. Especially with snow on top. Be careful out there tomorrow.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #449 on: Jan 12, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Sorry about the basement Chowdaire.
Thanks for the conditions update, looking to get back up there Sunday or Monday.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.