Author Topic: just bought an ice rigger and i have some Q's  (Read 2745 times)

#1perchguy

just bought an ice rigger and i have some Q's
« on: Dec 27, 2011, 01:38 PM »
i just bought an ice rigger and i have some questions about it. when the fish take it and run out of line, are they most likely gonna drop it or hook themselves? and can the bail only be closed on it? just got it and havent been able to mess around with it so i would like some advice, thanks

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: just bought an ice rigger and i have some Q's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2011, 01:48 PM »
I just got one too...the instructions say to leave the bail open.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2011, 02:54 PM »
I just got one too...the instructions say to leave the bail open.

X2, leave it open or in my case put it on freespool.

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2011, 03:49 PM »
I bought 3 of these last season...One for me and 2 for gifts..They work great and I use them instead of my tip ups now. I made 4 more myself using the original as a guide. I leave the bale open, and I am going to try a rod with fly reel combo this season if it ever gets here. A lot more fun fighting a fish on a rod then a tip-up.

#1perchguy

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2011, 04:53 PM »
thanks for the advice guys. i was hoping i would be able to use it with the bail open so the fish can run with the bait! good luck fishn!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2011, 05:34 PM »
i have been using homemade ice riggers for years,last year i bought 1 to try it out. i leave the bail closed and set the drag lite allowing the fish to run but keeping some tension on the line to keep the line from tangling or snagging on something.when i pick up the rod i just slowly tighten the drag to the desired setting.i have never had any issues using the riggers this way but i have had the fish take the line real fast with the bail open and the line ended up in a big waded knot.i mostly use my riggers for lakers salmon and pike

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Sounds like a Shimano with the fighting drag would be perfect for that style of fishing. would act as a bait runner.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:15 AM »
Depends on what you are fishing for. I do a lot of splake fishing with mine and I leave the bail closed and adjust the drag accordingly Im usually close by and see the flag, and the fish is always hooked (well almost always).

If you are in an area with big Pike you may not want to try this method, but it works great for me

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:23 AM »
Sounds like a Shimano with the fighting drag would be perfect for that style of fishing. would act as a bait runner.

That is what I use. I wish Shimano would bring back more of the Fightin' Drag models like they used to have. I have a few, a newer Spirex that is a great reel for the fishing I do (mostly lake trout), and it is my main go to reel for hard and soft water. I also have a couple TX series reels from the 80's that have been good reels now for 20+ years. I wish they had done the Fightin' Drag on the Sienna RD series, would have been the perfect reel for the price! I own 2 of them, just for ice fishing.

BIGJim223

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:58 PM »
I think the old Baitrunners would work good! I think I may have one of them from my catfishing days back in the late 70's! Mission!! ;)

BIGJim223

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:59 PM »
i just picked up a few of these myself as i too prefer to fight fish on a rod and not my tip-up. i was going to leave my spool open also but then i started thinking if the wind got a hold of it (i will be using these at nite for bubot) i might have a hell of mess with the line blowing off the spool, so i decide to just rig up a few of the kids old closed faces for mine but using fight drag real is just plain awesome as i have two of these sittin in the old reel box. sweet :woot:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.