Author Topic: Winni ice  (Read 2518 times)

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Winni ice
« on: Mar 06, 2022, 07:05 AM »
Got out on Winni yesterday and was pleasantly surprised the amount of ice still on it. 18+"... as long as the shoreline holds up we should still have a few days left. Saw many vehicles on 19 mile bay and watched a truck drive up to check cusk lines on moultonborough bay. Was originally hoping to get on Ossipee, but the snow drifts stopped me.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
Re: Winni ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2022, 07:22 AM »
24" on winni where I am today.
Plenty of ice and time left for sure

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2022, 08:40 AM »

We saw the same or more in that area yesterday, it was enough to shear the retaining bolt on my auger shaft...
Good luck out there today Jason.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2022, 10:50 AM »

Yep... plenty of ice!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2022, 06:56 PM »
Plenty of ice left but pulled my hardside off anyway.  This time a year, i prefer to run and gun so the hardside is back in land.

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2022, 07:49 PM »
... as long as the shoreline holds up we should still have a few days left.

With 18"+ of ice, unless you have a week of 50+ temps AND some rain, the ice will be here for awhile.

The shores will be the place to be wary of.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2022, 08:08 PM »
Plenty of ice left but pulled my hardside off anyway.  This time a year, i prefer to run and gun so the hardside is back in land.

Smart!
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2022, 08:29 PM »

Sad times but it goes fast once the snow is gone and the sun beats on it...most people don't have clue,smart to do it now..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2022, 11:10 AM »
Sad times but it goes fast once the snow is gone and the sun beats on it...most people don't have clue,smart to do it now..

Makes total sense- too nice a "shack" to see it floating, and with the warm weather how much time would you actually spend in it versus out enjoying spring ice fishing?  Get it off while the edges are good and enjoy fishing the end of the season versus worrying about it.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2022, 12:30 PM »
Drove around the big lake today after I tucked tail and ran, most edges were still holding, but I can see it wont take much to do them in..i saw one house swinging  on a single tie down near long island..seemed like all the houses were off at Levitt park.

There were  still a few out in the bay in Wolfboro.
Time waits for no.one.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2022, 07:28 AM »
The lake we are on had 19 inches of one layer of all white ice... Drilled nice but the sun will it it up fast... All depends on what mother nature will bring us... 6-10 inches on Saturday... seeing will be believing on that, but it could insulate it a bit...for the good! With that said, we moved the hardside into the boat launch cove.. Safety first! :o)

We had 3 flags, two 2# 13 oz smallies, one stolen by an eagle, how it was able to fly off with it was beyond me! and a tiny pickerel.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2022, 01:20 PM »
Nice job!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2022, 03:08 PM »
  Nice fish , the eagle must have appreciated the free lunch

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2022, 03:15 PM »
We and our two big dogs missed it... we didn't have enough charcoal for our epic steak and went foraging for some dry wood... missed the steal. then flushed the eagle a couple hours later... it could hardly fly with a massive bulging crop... It pigged out for sure! Its a little lake and we only see the eagle once a season...We only fish once a week..... its not like we are fighting them off... Although my dog doesnt tolerate any bird stealing fish...she chased off the eagle last year... its all pretty funny to watch....Good for the eagle i figure

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2022, 09:27 PM »
Nice bass! Good looking ice fishing rig also.

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2022, 06:24 AM »
We and our two big dogs missed it... we didn't have enough charcoal for our epic steak and went foraging for some dry wood... missed the steal. then flushed the eagle a couple hours later... it could hardly fly with a massive bulging crop... It pigged out for sure! Its a little lake and we only see the eagle once a season...We only fish once a week..... its not like we are fighting them off... Although my dog doesnt tolerate any bird stealing fish...she chased off the eagle last year... its all pretty funny to watch....Good for the eagle i figure

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2022, 06:36 AM »
Funny  or not so funny the eagle was hungry on winni  Friday morning pulled a fat cusk out just after daybreak, realized I left pliers in sled.  I walked back grabbed them to turn around to two eagles dive bombing cusk and just like that cusk was airborne.  Ill be first to tell you they don't take commands like a dog drop it doesn't work.  So there goes cusk and then trap takes flight 75 yards of line and 1x4 slapping off ice until trap went in open water by dock bubbler and got hung breaking line.  Eagle jarred a little and cusk fell back to earth eagle turned around grabbed cusk and headed for favorite pine to enjoy breakfast.  Besides loosing fish and trap just had to shake my head and laugh

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2022, 09:33 PM »
Funny  or not so funny the eagle was hungry on winni  Friday morning pulled a fat cusk out just after daybreak, realized I left pliers in sled.  I walked back grabbed them to turn around to two eagles dive bombing cusk and just like that cusk was airborne.  Ill be first to tell you they don't take commands like a dog drop it doesn't work.  So there goes cusk and then trap takes flight 75 yards of line and 1x4 slapping off ice until trap went in open water by dock bubbler and got hung breaking line.  Eagle jarred a little and cusk fell back to earth eagle turned around grabbed cusk and headed for favorite pine to enjoy breakfast.  Besides loosing fish and trap just had to shake my head and laugh

That had to be a sight to see... thanks for posting.

Offline raindaddy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2022, 03:59 AM »

what an incredible disaster, hate to see it love to hear it
Man
I
Love
Fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.