Ice Fishing Media > Ice Fishing Pictures

How did you get started?

<< < (2/4) > >>

ice dawg:
A broken shovel handle with a nail driven in one end and sharpened so I could stick it in the ice to stand it up. Two nails driven in the side to wind line on. The rest was an axe and a shovel to get the ice chips out of the hole.

zcm_82:

--- Quote from: ice dawg on Feb 08, 2022, 06:03 PM ---A broken shovel handle with a nail driven in one end and sharpened so I could stick it in the ice to stand it up. Two nails driven in the side to wind line on. The rest was an axe and a shovel to get the ice chips out of the hole.

--- End quote ---

Did you ride a horse down to the lake, too? :roflmao:

Those old jiggin sticks are handy, sometimes though. I still have a couple.

skifisher:
Homemade rods made from broken long poles, a spud bar/ice chisel, scoop made from a kitchen laden, and a “sled” made from an old tool storage box with skis and brackets to hold a wind break made from a army surplus tent flap. After chopping and clearing a hole, I’d set up the tent flap attached to aluminum tent poles, move the box to the proper location, put a lit Coleman lantern between my legs, drop a yellow 1/2 ounce jig down baited with sucker and hope for a bite! Fished this way for many years, this starting in the late 60’s, early 70’s!
No electronics or power auger. Thought I was in heaven when I got my first Mora hand auger at a garage sale. I’ve come a long way since then! Lol

Themadyankee:
Was bored out of my mind one winter as a broke teenager and said "the hell with it, I'll try this whole ice fishing thing."

So I got my dad to drive me down to the bass pro in foxboro MA so I could spend a little of the cash I had saved up on a store brand 6 inch hand auger. I then got my uncle who was headed up to the cabin in NH that weekend to give me a ride to the local pond.

My equipment consisted of the aforementioned hand auger, my 30 dollar bass rod/reel combo that was my freshwater rod, a lawn chair, two jigging lures, a package of nightcrawlers, and a slotted kitchen spoon in place of a dipper.

I only caught a few perch the first day, but persisted. Caught a bass the second day, and been trying to go farther ever since.

Then one day I read about some fish I'd only vaguely heard of called a lake trout. Obsession followed, with madness. That didn't pay off until recently.

stas60:
Similar to another post. My Dad cut a piece of tongue & groove floor so we were able to wind line near the handle. Placed a piece of old fishing pole in the groove and fastened it down. Still have one somewhere. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version