Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Transportation

UTV trailer

(1/2) > >>

SpoonieLuv:
How are you guys securing your UTV down on an open trailer? Just want to be safe when I travel.

river_scum:
just 4 rachet straps.

eyeflyer:
Strap to the frame not the bumpers.

Skywagon:
4 heavy straps, make sure to put the transmission in neutral, not park, otherwise you run the risk of ruining the gears.  If your UTV has a windshield and the machine is pointed forward, you risk rock chips and the sandblasting effect, summer usage is even worse.  Even though I have a 30" front shield on my open trailer, the glass windshield on my Ranger is sandblasted (I can't imagine what it would do to a plastic windshield), lesson learned.  I quit using the open trailer for the UTV for that reason, now only use the long enclosed one.

Snitch#8:
Two heavy "ratchet" straps from the back of the quad's rack to the trailer frame, then I put the winch cable around the trailer tongue and cinch it down, pulling the front of the quad down and toward the front.  I then put a safety strap in case of winch failure.  Never had a problem since I started doing this.  I say since I started doing this because I almost had a catastrophe.  I bought a new quad and used the regular straps, the kind where the strap goes under a metal part with teeth that are supposed to hold onto the strap.  I put a strap on each corner of the quad, assuming everything should be good, and cinched them down.  I left home heading for Saginaw Bay and a good day of walleye fishing, well before daylight.  After approximately 20 miles I happened to notice sparks in the driver's side mirror.  I slowly pulled off the side of the road and was horrified by what I found.  The quad had worked its way loose from the straps and was riding with just the front tires on the trailer.  The back tires were sliding on the pavement.  I am convinced if I had not studded the tires the whole quad would have been jerked off the trailer, as soon as the back tires fell onto the road.  I nearly wrecked a brand new quad in the process.  I limped five miles to town and promptly purchased a good heavy duty set of ratchet straps.  I put them on and then hooked up the winch cable for added security.  I have used this process "EVERY" time since then!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version