Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Transportation

Snowmobile track replacement

(1/1)

steelyhead17:
I need to put a new track on my snowmobile and not sure what to go with. Snowmobile is a 2011 ski doo 600 ace grand touring. Mostly using for ice fishing with some trail riding as well. Ice conditions can vary from no snow on ice to 2-3 ft of snow and slush. I see you can get tracks now that are pre studded as well. Would these grab the ice as good as the regular studs with the backers?

eiderz:
Nothing beats regular studs. I have sleds with the full length picks, and others with the automotive style which you get on a pre-studded track. No comparison on clear ice, the pre-studded tracks are better than nothing but you will still spin at startup or slide to a stop. The full length studs do slow the sled a fraction at top end, just so you know in case you need to go mach 2.

jethro:
True studs are far superior for raw traction than a pre-studded track. The disadvantage of real studs is the same exact thing as their advantage- traction. If you have a longer tracked machine, full studs can make it a real bear to turn. It will push in the corners if you have a 137" or bigger which seems to be the new normal size. For a good, middle ground, the pre-studded tracks are awesome. I will never conventionally stud a machine again unless I get a short track sled. FWIW, I have torn 3 tracks in my day, all conventionally studded, and twice it penetrated the heat exchanger. But if you are all about that hole shot and epic braking power- conventional studs reign supreme.

Skywagon:
One thing to consider is when/if you trailer your machine, the longer studs can damage the trailer floor. I had two different experiences with that when hauling other peoples snowmobiles to go fishing, I will no longer put a studded machine in my trailer.

eiderz:

--- Quote from: Skywagon on Dec 22, 2021, 05:35 AM ---One thing to consider is when/if you trailer your machine, the longer studs can damage the trailer floor. I had two different experiences with that when hauling other peoples snowmobiles to go fishing, I will no longer put a studded machine in my trailer.

--- End quote ---

Agreed Skywagon. They sure do trash the floor if you don't have a mat. I'm too lazy to load the sleds on the lifts every day so I also protect the floor of the garage with plywood for that reason. Even the pre-studded tracks make a mess of concrete, in addition to the carbides.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version