Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Transportation

Looking to buy a NEW sled, for ice fishing and riding around. Recommendations?

(1/13) > >>

TheLionsFan:
Hey guys,

My wife and I have been wanting to buy a snowmobile for several years now and have been looking around for used ones.  I've been reading a lot about different ones and learning.  Without getting into details, I think we've decided we might just bite the bullet and get a brand new one since we're looking for something to last us a long time and we're very very good about maintaining our stuff. 

We don't wanna spend a fortune, but we do want a 2-up fan cooled.   This sled is for ice fishing and just fun riding around the field or a couple trails here and there.  Something we can pull our young kids behind on sleds.  I would say one of, if not THE most important factor is we want something reliable.  As long as we do our part, we want it to start and operate every single time.  I hate to be miles out on the ice and something go wrong.

I've been eyeing up the Polaris Indy LXT, but I see Yamaha makes the VK model, Ski Doo has a couple different models (looks to be a little more expensive)..etc.   I've generally found myself always owning Polaris for no particular reason, just seems that way.  Im not looking to start any war of which is better, but since I am kinda new to snowmobiles and dont know a TON about them, if you had a budget of <$10,000 what snowmobile would you be buying that fits the criteria mentioned?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any info you have. 

matzilla:
Those are all great options

I'd get a SkiDoo GT - I kinda like the rotax engines, both 2 and 4 stroke are pretty easy to work on. Parts are easy to get. The polaris and yamaha aren't bad either by any means. It might come down to which dealer is closest to you - buying something and having to haul it 100's miles for dealer service isn't ideal
https://www.ski-doo.com/snowmobiles/grand-touring.html

TheLionsFan:

--- Quote from: matzilla on Oct 01, 2020, 02:29 PM ---Those are all great options

I'd get a SkiDoo GT - I kinda like the rotax engines, both 2 and 4 stroke are pretty easy to work on. Parts are easy to get. The polaris and yamaha aren't bad either by any means. It might come down to which dealer is closest to you - buying something and having to haul it 100's miles for dealer service isn't ideal
https://www.ski-doo.com/snowmobiles/grand-touring.html

--- End quote ---

I appreciate it thank you!  That sled does look very nice, I think it may be just a tiny bit out of our budget though.

Bucket Rump:
If I was serious about buying a new sled I'd be looking hard at either the Arctic Cat Bearcat or the Ski Doo Skandic fan cooled models.  That said, I currently run a 1994 Polaris Indy Touring Deluxe that I bought used and it has served me well in my ice fishing pursuits with a few modifications done to it - cargo rack, auger clamp, GPS bracket, studded track, carbide ski skegs, ice scratchers, 10" LED light, and a lighted compass.

bart:
I bought a 2010 Arctic Cat F570 in 2011, new hold-over. It has served my well on the ice. Fan-cooled sled works well on wind-swept ice and warmer days. Electric start and reverse are two luxuries that are sure nice. Modifications that serves your needs... I did a shanty rack, auger rack, hitch, scratchers, studded track, rod holders, bait bucket holders, dash bag and handlebar bag. Modified the trailer also, drive on/drive off with no loading and unloading the gear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version