The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Trout forage in Lake DeSmet and Fees  (Read 5972 times)

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Trout forage in Lake DeSmet and Fees
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Laughable!!! I'm throwing the BS flag on this myth and "fake news"... Don't become sheep or the wolves will get you to. :P Can we get back on topic of the costs of forage and fees on De Smet?

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2018, 04:16 PM »
I believe the actual study found that the lack of spawning cutthroat changed the prey base for grizzlies from trout to calf elk.  They hypothesized that this shift impacted the elk, but there was never any suggestion that it was the main or only cause of the decline in the elk population in that segment of the park.

The big bares are like giant ravens, they'll eat any thing they can, especially if it's easy to get. Fish or baby elk, or cattle or sheep, or a pile of wild turkiesw, they are giant eating machines.  They will eat people too if the occasion arrises.

Back to Desmet and fish.
Thread killer

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:24 PM »
There is a experiment going on right now with kokanee, to see if they are less predated upon by walleye, and also the g&f is attempting to establish  an alternative  source for kokanee stock is a couple lakes other than the gorge.

This, in my uneducated opinion would  be a great fish for the deep cold clear waters of Desmet , in addition to the upper north platte reservoirs . For a food source for predatory fish and anglers alike .
(not to mention the economic impacts)

I really hope beyond hope that the kokanne project yields positive results .

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:35 PM »
There is a experiment going on right now with kokanee, to see if they are less predated upon by walleye, and also the g&f is attempting to establish  an alternative  source for kokanee stock is a couple lakes other than the gorge.

This, in my uneducated opinion would  be a great fish for the deep cold clear waters of Desmet , in addition to the upper north platte reservoirs . For a food source for predatory fish and anglers alike .
(not to mention the economic impacts)

I really hope beyond hope that the kokanne project yields positive results .

I love catching and eating Kokanee I hope that Desmet does get a try. I think it would be a fantastic Kokanee lake. We all know what else eats Kokanee, lake trout and if the gorge is the example well game on!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:41 PM »
Me too Scott!

I failed to mention the experiment  is being  conducted  at alcova, which I  sure you're aware of, but others might not be.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Alcova rocks! I fished it 5 times this summer and did very well targeting Kokanee. Fun to catch and eat.

Offline Labdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:13 PM »
Ha! Great conversation on the Lake Trout, was out today off the Monument. Looking for Lakers and Browns in deep drop off areas but found nothing. Had to move to the shallow areas to catch dinner. Good ice 11-12"

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2018, 03:38 AM »
appleye, what if they stocked Kokanee and we didn't catch any. Would you still cuss De Smet? ;D

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2018, 10:47 AM »
I'd give it 5 trips then.................. ............. ;)

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:20 PM »
Back to Desmit. I believe if you can give us a Year pass for camping and day pass at Desmit. I believe Wyomingnites will pay. Lot of individuals would pay to play, hell to clean out the crappers is a couple grand. Now as far as I can remember the I'm willing to help out. As for the fishery. Great walleye and trout fishery. Just wish the perch would get stronger but if the ecosystem can't handle it. Then I say, stock the perch from Healy before we buy shad or shiners. Why buy when again when we can help out both fisheries. Help get the smaller population out of Healy and due to size the forage would be great for the predatory fish. Win Win in my opinion.
No one left behind.     

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:35 PM »
Paying a gate or access fee still has nothing to do with the original reason for bringing fees up in the first place. Its about stocking and management of the fishery, possible forage sources.... Gate or access funds will have absolutely zero impact on the fishery itself. The maintenance budget is already being met.

When it comes to paying more be careful what you wish for! I can also see the possibility with the "new housing" development going on around the lake there might be a push to improve things for esthetics and convenience. These are not low end homes so normally what follows is high end homeowners wanting their views to be pretty or just like it was where they came from. So before jumping in with both feet willing to give your hard earned money away, lets see what will be proposed, if anything, before offering to pay without the asking.

Will say it again, Pretty sure you will not see a gate fee anytime soon.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #41 on: Nov 23, 2022, 09:39 AM »
Same amount it would cost to grow trophy, illegally introduced walleye
That’s funny 😁
So many fish, so little time.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #42 on: Nov 23, 2022, 09:48 AM »
The WYGF solved all of your concerns by stocking Kokanee salmon every year. It’s a win-win for every angler no matter what species you prefer to target. God bless them for making that decision to stock kokes. I attended the informational meeting facilitated by the northeast wyoming walleye association and listened to our local biologist explain the reason for the stocking and the data collected over the past ten years. If the rainbow data does not change as a result of the Kokanee stocking, they plan to continue stocking efforts for the short and long term in desmet.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 23, 2022, 11:03 AM »
Great resurface post! The Kokanee have changed my summers. I now go at least every weekend to DeSmet from July to September and a lot in the fall looking for spawning Kokanee. The size of fish is about to Flaming Gorge, and you can keep 6 fish a person. I'm sure the lake trout are eating them. We average one lake trout a trip without fishing for them. All on Kokanee gear. Not sure what it would be like targeting them. Last winter Special and I got 10 lake trout looking for kokanee. No size but we were sure we were fishing of lake trout when they bit.  Average lake trout this summer was about 20" long.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #44 on: Nov 23, 2022, 04:05 PM »
I read through this whole thing again and had a good laugh! How quickly things changed at DeSmet. To you locals, it sure seems like things are a lot better up there now than in 2018 right!?

Also, can we all agree that the drop in cutthroat populations had exactly zero to do with increased predation on elk calves right?  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #45 on: Nov 23, 2022, 06:23 PM »
I rarely get on this message board, but was in the tree stand today reading about the groups thoughts on desmet. Made me chuckle a few times while killing some time this morning.

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 30, 2022, 07:31 AM »
lake desmet is set up for a 99 year lease that we as residents already basically pay for. I will quit going to desmet if they start a day use fee. its already bull crap that they changed the grandfather clause so all these idiots can build personal boat docks that are actually floating next to public land because of the high water elevation public mark. I do not agree with the way Lake desmet is being handled.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.