The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Devils Lake and Surrounding Ponds/Lakes  (Read 2540 times)

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Devils Lake and Surrounding Ponds/Lakes
« on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:43 AM »
I have an upcoming trip for 2 days of fishing in Devils Lake with my wife. Without knowing the area, I set up with a guide the first day and the second day we rented a fish house thru Woodland Resort where we are staying. We are now 2 1/2 weeks away and most of Devils Lake seems to be open water yet. I’ve been watching the forecast and it looks pretty good for making ice, I just don’t know if there is enough time for there to be safe ice on the main lake

The first day (1/2/16) I am set up with Perch Patrol, so I expect that they would take us to places with safe ice where we can catch fish. This could be some back bays off Devils Lake or one of the surrounding lakes, either way I’m good with it if the ice is safe and we catch some fish (not expecting to limit, just enough to have fun)

The second day (1/3/16) we are set up for one of the fish houses thru Woodland. This has me more concerned. I know that they wont take the houses out if the ice isn’t safe, so I’m wondering if I should bring my portable as a back up and we would spend the 2nd day exploring on our own. I have been on contact with them and plan to do so again a few days before we leave to check on conditions

If we end up bringing the flip over, my question is that I see there are a lot of small lakes/ponds and some lakes that look good size a few miles north of Devils Lake (Sweetwater, Morrison, Dry, Alice). Would we be able to access these by foot? Are some of the small lakes/ ponds on the side of the road worth trying or can I legally park along side the road and walk out on these?

Thanks in advance, I’m just trying to come up with a backup plan in case the houses aren’t out on Devils Lake

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Devils Lake and Surrounding Ponds/Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:49 PM »
If this cold weather holds there should be ice on the main lake by then but we will have to see what happens. There are many smaller lakes in the area that have good fishing and are currently frozen and have fishing within walking distance. We have been fishing them for weeks now. The walleye bite has been pretty good but the perch have been a little tougher. If woodland doesn't have there houses out let me know I may be able to show you around or at least give you a place to start.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2015, 07:36 AM »
If this cold weather holds there should be ice on the main lake by then but we will have to see what happens. There are many smaller lakes in the area that have good fishing and are currently frozen and have fishing within walking distance. We have been fishing them for weeks now. The walleye bite has been pretty good but the perch have been a little tougher. If woodland doesn't have there houses out let me know I may be able to show you around or at least give you a place to start.

Thanks for the response. We're going out there to catch fish, not target a specific species so we would have not problems catching walleyes if the perch are tough to find on foot. I'll respond back as it gets closer, I plan to call Woodland  2 or 3 days before we leave so I can plan accordingly

Offline Disco Bobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2015, 06:30 AM »
If you are mainly interested in just catching fish the Northerns there seem to be always on the bite, particularly in the lakes north of DL.    Use tip-ups with frozen Herring, Smelt, or Suckers.   (No live suckers allowed)  Jigging can also be fun.    People are also more willing to help someone find Northerns compared to Walleyes or Perch.   

Offline amoe246

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "You should have been here yesterday"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2015, 12:46 PM »
Slow day on Devils Lake yesterday.... worked shallow flats and tree lines but came up empty. Ice was solid 8 inches but did find some slush pockets out walking around. Hopefully the fishing picks up with the nice mid 20 degree weather this weekend.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2015, 05:57 PM »
Well, we are bringing my portable for fishing Friday afternoon (bonus half day of fishing), we will just walk out and go. I have a few spots to try. Saturday is all set with the Perch Patrol and Woodland put out their houses on Tuesday so we'll be set for Sunday now as well. Worst case, if we're in the fish house on Sunday and not marking or catch much, we can leave and go somewhere else with my portable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.