Author Topic: Spikes, Waxies etc .  (Read 43351 times)

trapperdirk

Spikes, Waxies etc .
« on: Nov 06, 2005, 04:27 PM »
Could someone please post some pics and info on these baits alot use for panfish such as spikes ,waxies , etc, etc . because some of us who rarely fish panfish have no idea what your talking about but interested in learning and I personally am one . The differences in these baits and anything about them would be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance folks .

TD

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
Re: Spikes, Waxies etc .
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2005, 04:32 PM »
Well Trapper heres the beemoth or waxie.                   Ron

Bobberstop

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2005, 07:34 PM »
Some fine perch bait Wigglers and Mousies
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2005, 08:03 AM »
What are wigglers and where can you score some?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2005, 05:38 PM »
Wigglers are the mayfly larvae. Mayfly larvae have a shelf life of about 2 weeks. Their water should be changed every other day and refrigeration is required.

Otis they are in nearly every bait shop in my area, if I remember right you're in NY, and I know that Coldfeet has mentioned to me that although not readily available state wide you can get them somewhere there.

When perch get tight lipped this is what I pull out of the cooler.

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2005, 07:53 PM »
Freshwater shrimp work good for those finiky perch too.
For wigglers you might have to ask for Silver wigglers.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2005, 08:15 PM »
Those wigglers look like they'd do the trick, I'm going to have to look around!  I took the kids to a local creek and we spent some time flipping rocks.  There were all kinds of things crawling around, but I don't think that I can legally take them from a trout creek in New York.  Anyone know if you can buy wigglers on like?

I see a lot of posts about people using fresh water shrimp.  The ones I run into on local lakes are so small you couldn't thread them on the thinnest of light wire hooks.  How do you use these for bait?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2005, 08:28 PM »
i get my shrimp from a local pet store. They are about an inch long or so plenty big enough for bait.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2005, 09:08 PM »
Using the shrimp for pet stores got me thinking. I don't know if this would work, but you guys could try it and see, I had a pet turtle once and I use to feed it freezed dried krill from the local pet stores. They look like good panfish bait to me.
If any of you try it, let me know how they work.
 ;)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

dwayne

« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2005, 06:34 AM »
I think the use of mayfly larvea in NY is illegal to use as bait.  I don't know where it is in the books but I remember hearing it on more than on occassion from different sources.  It could be a wives tail though?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2005, 10:03 AM »
Its not illegal for use as bait in NYS, but it is illegal to collect aquatic larvea from any trout stream in NYS.

dwayne

« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2005, 02:43 PM »
thanks red...I knew there was some type of law protecting the larvea..just wasn't sure of the details.

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2010, 11:32 PM »
i just started rasing waxworms last year..  I failed to keep with them at the end of the season and lost my breedeing stock. I just ordered a new kit so now i will have 2 going.  i order my kits from http://www.waxwormkit.com/ its easy and i might have my sons 2nd grade class help raise them for me LOL ( last year i had so many that i gave alot away on the ice)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2010, 05:18 AM »
Wigglers are the mayfly larvae. Mayfly larvae have a shelf life of about 2 weeks. Their water should be changed every other day and refrigeration is required.
(Image removed from quote.)

Otis they are in nearly every bait shop in my area, if I remember right you're in NY, and I know that Coldfeet has mentioned to me that although not readily available state wide you can get them somewhere there.

When perch get tight lipped this is what I pull out of the cooler.

-Scott

When I lived in Michigan and started ice fishing many years ago wigglers were all we used for perch... Once I moved back to New York no one knew what they were and I cant find them any where...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Good pics.  They are all basically some type of larvae.  I find that plastic imitations, like the ones you find in the jars, work real good too.  Sometimes they even out fish live bait.  Typically in MN you'll find waxies are the most common for panfish.  Crappie minnows do real good for crappie and perch too.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2010, 06:47 PM »

Though, I would say this is typical I have had them last much much longer. Last winter I went perch fishing and had quite a few left. Put them in the refridgerator and about a month and a half later found them. They were in a small plastic container, like your waxies, mousies, etc come in. The water was stained brownish, but I'd say at least 75% of them were still alive. After cleaning the water and removing the dead ones they lived another couple weeks still. Maybe I just had some freak ones though  ;D. Anyhow, they are a good, hardy bait for perch.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2010, 04:42 PM »
If anyone in Western NY knows where to find Wigglers, Please let us know. Years ago Bob's Bait in Lakeville used to carry them but Bob has passed on. They are great Perch bait.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2010, 02:33 PM »
The sponser Knutson's Live Bait has preserved wigglers.

http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/pres_wigglers.html

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2010, 05:16 AM »
Get all jig bait from the pet store.  I have used the freeze-dried shrimp and krill before- but only once.  They are don't stay on the hook well at all and are very brittle.  Even worse, they are so light a gust of wind blows half the container worth down the lake.  Do they work- probably but not worth the trouble imho.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline some1outhere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:29 PM »
i used to have a plastic jig that looked like a wiggler and would love to find them again so if any one could help me find some more i would love it. that was the best jig for perch.

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:46 PM »
What's the difference between freshwater shrimp and wigglers, they look the same to me? Also here in MN, i don't see any wigglers in baitshops, where do u get them?
The fishing is always better on the other side of the lake

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Could someone please post some pics and info on these baits alot use for panfish such as spikes ,waxies , etc, etc . because some of us who rarely fish panfish have no idea what your talking about but interested in learning and I personally am one . The differences in these baits and anything about them would be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance folks .

TD
Do yourself a favor and join, you will not regret it!!!! and its free. Mousies are scarce this year but spikes do the trick. You can get them at Gander or any bait shop that stocks ice fishing supplies and gear.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Monday 1pm EST I ordered from elliotsbutterworms.com (looked to be a new sponsor) some butterworms.
They arrived today, 48 hours later by USPS priority mail, all alive and well. Seattle Washington to Westfield Massachusetts in 2 days is unbelievable.
These little critters look beautiful.
I'll let you know how they perform for yellows and smelt..
Leave Some For Seed

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:17 PM »
Im new to this type of worm bait and was wondering if there was a diffeRence between spikes and waxes? They look very similar to me I wanted to start using them for perch and pan fish

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:08 AM »
Im new to this type of worm bait and was wondering if there was a diffeRence between spikes and waxes? They look very similar to me I wanted to start using them for perch and pan fish

Yes there is a difference
Spikes/ Mouses/Maggots  are types of fly larve
Waxies are moth larve

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #25 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:54 AM »
spikes are a thick skined, about 1/2-3/16 long grub. waxxies are about 3/4-1 inch soft skined grub. both work well. i like waxxies, they dont last as long on the hook because they are softer but imo they put out alot more scent and with a larger profile are easier for the fish to see. i have to rebait my jigs often but the fish go on the ice faster...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #26 on: Sep 14, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:06 AM »
Some fine perch bait Wigglers and Mousies
(Image removed from quote.)
I used mousies years ago when I started fishing because they were cheap. I remember them being a lot smaller than the ones in the pic. We kept them in a small plastic cup with saw dust and a top and carried them in a shirt pocket inside your jacket to keep them warm and alive. I would keep them on a shelf going down the basement in our house, my mom came upstairs one day asking "where did all these fly's come from?" That's when I learned where mousies came from.

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2017, 10:36 AM »
The sponser Knutson's Live Bait has preserved wigglers.

http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/pres_wigglers.html
[I got some preserved wigglers and they turn to mush.Was using them from my boat for crappie in spring.Hard to keep on hook.Waste of about $30 to have them sent to me.Even kept them on ice./quote]

Offline Duck-Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2017, 06:27 AM »
Spikes, flies, and plastics are my go to bait for panfish, here in Michigan wiggles are for sale everywhere you turn your head.. Never fished with em, I know perch and redears love em.
REMOVED

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.