Illinois > Ice Fishing Illinois

Who is getting ready

(1/5) > >>

fishmanj:
I noticed that this board wasn't used too much last year so lets try to pick it up this season.

Who is getting ready for the ice that is only two months away?  What do you all do to get ready for first ice?  What is the place you are most looking forward to getting to this year?  And what do you guys normally fish for?

I have finaly collected all my ice gear back up from a friend and have taken inventory.  I'm looking for a used 6" hand auger for early ice, does anybody have an extra one?  The gas auger will come out later if it even comes out.  I will be spending most of the season on Long Lake and makeing a few trips to the chain to search for walleye.  I found a channel off the fox last year that produced some really nice gills and that is one of the places I'm really looking forward to getting too.  This will also be the first year that I make a few attempts at targeting catfish, should be fun and I should learn a lot.  Hopefully in a few seasons I'll have that down pat.  I normally fish long lake for panfish but mainly perch, there is a good population and good size.  So lets hear it, who is ready?

stinky:
 fishmanj come up to Channel Lake we have a good catfish hole up there. I have everything in order and some new jigs and rods comeing in. the auger blades have been changed and the quad checked over I'm ready to go.
Bob

zaraspooker:
I am definately ready for first ice.  I am from hoffman estates and I am looking forward to trying new lakes.  I have never ice fished the chain before.  I have been shopping for new gear twice already this year and I am looking into buying a two man Shapell or Frabil Speed shak or Venture.  DO you guys have any input on which would be a better buy?  I usually jig for gills and set up some tip ups with garlic seasoned dryed minnows (homemade) for channel cats on my local ponds. Glad to see people from N. Illinois are posting.

stinky:
zaraspooker I fish out of a fishtrap pro and like it much better but to each there own. The chain is a great place to fish with plenty of eyes,gills,crappie,northers and cats not to forget somemgood striper fishing. I spend as much time as I can out there plus fish in different states. You can make some new friends on the ice and they are there every year.
Bob

Iceman Cometh:
I'm chomping at the bit to get out! Also, go to the For Sale section and check out  my post wanting a Nilsmaster hand auger, ice jigs, plastics, and equipment(shanties, flashers, etc.) if you've got any of this stuff for sale.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version