Author Topic: Gravel pits / east of Edon ohio  (Read 5135 times)

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Must be here someplace??
Gravel pits / east of Edon ohio
« on: Dec 25, 2009, 03:05 PM »
 Has anyone fished the two gravel pits they are east of Edon Oh. they are not too far outside of town, I have been told the summer fishing is really good. wanted too know about the ice fishing at them.

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gravel pits / east of Edon ohio
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2009, 08:59 PM »
I live about 2 miles away from the where your talking about, the big lake (south side of road) is still open,it has trout ,bass , crappie , blue gills and pike I have fished it 2 or 3 times last winter, never caught much, they did stock it twice this summer with walleye fingerlings, the 2 small lakes  next to the big lake is locked up I caught a few small crappie off them last yr , the smaller lake on the north side of the road has a skim on it, has some dandy crappie in it if you can find them , we caught some nice crappie there 2 yrs ago in spring but can't catch them through ice,the bad thing about these lakes is the smaller one on north side has the ST.Joe river flood into it every spring, and it even got into the big lake this yr, so who knows what swims in or out during this time, the DNR needs to spend some of our money and raise the dikes around these about 4 ft the stock them. hope this helps .

SLAB

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2009, 06:45 AM »
 Hey Slab, thank you for the information that is what I was looking for.     

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:40 AM »
I live around this area my whole life and have fished the big one for a few years now there is excellent gill fishing in there if you can get on them. the crappie even run huge and so do the pike, this lake is extremely hard to fish in the winter. at least it is for me. good luck

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2009, 10:40 AM »
I live around this area my whole life and have fished the big one for a few years now there is excellent gill fishing in there if you can get on them. the crappie even run huge and so do the pike, this lake is extremely hard to fish in the winter. at least it is for me. good luck

so it's not just me , I agree there is some nice fish but I can't seem to get on em thru the ice !!!!

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2009, 11:49 AM »
so it's not just me , I agree there is some nice fish but I can't seem to get on em thru the ice !!!!

That place is almost 100 ft deep in the center 90 anyhow.  They have loaded it up with trout   :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:  the brain storms at DNR :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:
Pork Rind

Clam Pro Staff, Vexilar Pro Staff, Lure Lipstick Pro Staff, Aqua-Vu Pro Staff

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:05 PM »
That place is almost 100 ft deep in the center 90 anyhow.  They have loaded it up with trout   :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:  the brain storms at DNR :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

NOW NOW PORK !!!!!!! You know the DNR "KNOWS WHATS BEST FOR US ""   !!!!!!  lol lol ;) ;) ;)

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2009, 10:06 PM »
are you talkin about mckarns on J?
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2009, 10:30 PM »
i like the fact they put walleye n there i hope they work out now some perch then take the trout out.

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2009, 05:08 AM »
i like the fact they put walleye n there i hope they work out now some perch then take the trout out.

Hang on to that dream   ;D ;D ;D It will be the next La Su Ann  (messed up)   ::) ::) ::)
Pork Rind

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:33 AM »
 Has anyone been fishing at La Su Ann ? we have talked about going over but never have.

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Has anyone been fishing at La Su Ann ? we have talked about going over but never have.

If ya go to La Sue Ann ,ya gotta make appointment, ya can only keep 10 gills(on the good lakes) the gills on the good lakes are not that impressive IMO,with all the good lakes around NW Indiana I don't think the hassle is worth it, to get an appointment ya gotta call on Mondays between 9and 12 am,( I called DNR and complained to no avail about this system)so good luck getting through,these lakes are just another failed attempt of the DRN trying to improve over mother nature, when I was a kid, before DNR bought it my dad took us there and we caught hugh gills and bass !!! all the good old days. PM me sometime Hog and we hook up and hit some lakes, ya gotta a Mich License?

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:21 AM »
If ya go to La Sue Ann ,ya gotta make appointment, ya can only keep 10 gills(on the good lakes) the gills on the good lakes are not that impressive IMO,with all the good lakes around NW Indiana I don't think the hassle is worth it, to get an appointment ya gotta call on Mondays between 9and 12 am,( I called DNR and complained to no avail about this system)so good luck getting through,these lakes are just another failed attempt of the DRN trying to improve over mother nature, when I was a kid, before DNR bought it my dad took us there and we caught hugh gills and bass !!! all the good old days. PM me sometime Hog and we hook up and hit some lakes, ya gotta a Mich License?

Oh, I forgot to mention I don't know for sure but La Sue Ann doesn't open for ice fishing till Jan sometime !!!

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Always ready yea have a Mi license.  Maybe next weekend we can hook up.  May go to a Motorcycle show Saturday but Sunday should be good. 
Pork Rind

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2009, 12:24 PM »
Always ready yea have a Mi license.  Maybe next weekend we can hook up.  May go to a Motorcycle show Saturday but Sunday should be good. 

PM me Pork later this week , we'll see if we can't throw some slabs on the ice next weekend !!!!!!

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2009, 12:55 PM »
 That sounds okay to me Slab.

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2009, 03:09 PM »
That sounds okay to me Slab.

Slab is it getting confusing you have a Hog and a Pork you are talking to   ;D ;D ;D  I think I got confused, ??? ??? none the less we all can hook up more IS guys to meet ;D ;D
Pork Rind

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2009, 03:13 PM »
LOL !!! I was responding to you Pork but Hog is welcome to come along if he"s available next sunday !!!!!!!!

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2009, 05:09 PM »
Absolutely the more the merrier  Love to have him   ;D
Pork Rind

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2009, 10:07 PM »
Here's a link to some fish that were caught out of the lakes you mentioned.  All during the summer.

http://bigbass101.startlogic.com//McKarnsBarton/McKarnsBarton.html

I've fished them both, and thought I remember reading about only being able to keep 10 or 15 fish.  I believe there is a limit.  Can anyone confirm this?
When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.