The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: where can i find smelt in central or southern vermont  (Read 4002 times)

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
I live near lake ST. Catherine but the smelt are completely gone. Iv'e heard there are some in bomo but never got any. What about Glen, Dunmore or chittenden Dam. Any info would be great.

Offline edp13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: where can i find smelt in central or southern vermont
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2007, 03:43 PM »
we catch them in southern Champ, below the bridge.
Slaying fish on the hard water

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2007, 06:27 AM »
Yep.  Champlain at Crown Point or Dunmore, or Echo in Plymouth.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:13 AM »
I get them on Harriman Reservoir, but it wasn't safe when I checked it on Friday.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:57 AM »
There are a pile in Dunmore, but are really hard to catch.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2007, 10:28 PM »
I get them on Harriman Reservoir, but it wasn't safe when I checked it on Friday.

there were people on it yesterdayout accross from the marina.. i heard there was 5 inches on maynards cove.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2008, 09:28 AM »
Yea, but you have those strong current areas and water level changes.  I prefer a few more inches before I'm crossing.  I checked where that hatchet is buried at the Castle Hill access.   Anyone check the south end?

Offline Sasquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2008, 06:33 PM »
As lbd said, I catch them by the champlain bridge.  Quite a few I have caught had tiny lempreys on them but there are plenty of smelt there.

Offline KAJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Sasquatch,

Do you stay in deep water, south of the bridge?

I have a seasonal camper at 10 Acres campground, and would love to ice fish up there.
Do you use Smelt for bait, or to eat?
Thanks.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:59 PM »
Sasquatch,

Do you stay in deep water, south of the bridge?

I have a seasonal camper at 10 Acres campground, and would love to ice fish up there.
Do you use smelt for bait, or to eat?
Thanks.
If you want smelt, they can be caught just above or below the bridge.  More people fish for them above the bridge, just look for the shanties.  Smelt are great bait for lakers, or they taste pretty good fried up.  I used to fish for lakers below the bridge and pass the time jigging for smelt.  Just watch the ice, the current tends to play hell with it.  Good Luck.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline KAJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:27 PM »
MikeVT,
Thanks for the reply.

I would want to use the Smelt as Pike bait. This is legal with the new laws correct?

Thanks.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2008, 02:05 PM »
MikeVT,
Thanks for the reply.

I would want to use the Smelt as Pike bait. This is legal with the new laws correct?

Thanks.
Yes, you can use smelt for bait as long as you use them in the same body of water where you caught them.  You cannot use them in another body of water, even dead /frozen.  The regs say you cannot transport them from the body of water where caught, it does not spell out dead or alive.  I would think dead would be ok, since many people catch them for food.  However, if you used them in the same body of water, could you bring back frozen smelt to where you caught it and use it for bait???  I cannot get a clear answer on this, so I would ask a warden before I did it.  Frozen smelt used to be my best bait for lakers, I would love to jig up a bunch and freeze them for use later, but until I can get a clear answer, I'm not going to chance it.  If you run into a warden on champlain, see if you can get an answer.  Good Luck!!!
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:13 AM »
The Emergency rule prohibits the transport of "bait", so once the smelt come off the ice, they better be headded for the frying pan, never to return.

So, you could go out in the channel catch a bunch of smelt then bring them back closer to the weeds and set up for pike.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline VERMONSTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I have just one wish! Ill take Panfish!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:44 AM »
 Lake Dunmore has a very healthy smelt population and would probably be you closest,another really good smelt fishery is Echo Lake in PLymoth.  These smelt average between4to 6 inches and it takes a little time getting use to  the bite. that is just my experience. Plymouth is a nite bite and dunmore you can catch them all day long
 and maybe even get the bonus salmon or laker.  Good luck. If you go to Echo look for a guy named Ken L.
  He will show you the program if approached right.
LCCC
Panfish Patrol!!

Offline Kapt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:04 AM »
Vermonster, could I pry a little more info out of you on Echo/smelt? I have a place to stay for free 10 minutes from there and have seen the shanties close to the ramp. Hali jigs and moussies perhaps? Also I cant find a depth map for that place to save my life but can only presume that it drops quick off the ramp as the shanties are usually bunched up and not far off the ramp.

I have the electronics and such, just looking for a jump start. I imagine the trout in there are very healthy with smelt around. Years ago visiting for the weekend up there I walked out and the locals only seemed interested in the smelt, no tip ups in sight! I only C&R trout but would like to jig up some smelt and put them down on tip up's. Thanks for any help

Back home here in CT things are in full swing pretty much with some nice fish being caught. Should be a great season!

Offline flagfreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2008, 02:29 PM »
there were people on it yesterdayout accross from the marina.. i heard there was 5 inches on maynards cove.

I used to live near Maynards cove,with my aunt and the cove was named after her family!!

Her mother had a farmhouse right across th rd from the cove.Havent been up there in yrs

Graduated from wilmington HS 1977

Gerry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.