The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike Info  (Read 4596 times)

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
Pike Info
« on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:35 PM »
Ive got a question about where the big pike are.Im not looking for anyones secret spot,just a little guidance.Ive been fishing champlain for about 8 years now,all up and down the islands.I have yet to find a fish over 12lbs. I know I have to put my time in but im 4 hours away.I stay somewhere different every year just to try a new spot,if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction it is much appreciated.Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Pike Info
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Bomoseen

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2009, 02:23 PM »
Bomoseen
Hows the action there?slow?Thanks

Offline VTtrophychaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Big Fish
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2009, 03:37 PM »
catch some nice pike on the ct river too....
My dream is clear, it involves fishin' n beer

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:51 PM »
catch some nice pike on the ct river too....
Any places to stay on the river?I probably wouldnt have to drive as far either.Thanks

Offline BASS4ME

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SOUTHERN VT ROOKIE
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2009, 06:05 PM »
ROCKINGHAM MOTOR LODGE IS NEAR BY, IN BELLOWS FALLS. THE RIVER IS RIGHT IN BACK. OR ANOTHER GOOD PLACE WOULD BE IN BRATTLEBORO. BUT I DONT KNOW WHERE YOU WOULD STAY. HOPES THIS HELPS

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2009, 03:28 AM »
ROCKINGHAM MOTOR LODGE IS NEAR BY, IN BELLOWS FALLS. THE RIVER IS RIGHT IN BACK. OR ANOTHER GOOD PLACE WOULD BE IN BRATTLEBORO. BUT I DONT KNOW WHERE YOU WOULD STAY. HOPES THIS HELPS
Thanks alot much appreciated

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Bomoseen
Thats were I go from out of state and it sucks :tipup: :tipup:

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2009, 04:21 AM »
Bomoseen
I guess ill stay away from there.

Offline pursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:28 PM »
  Have you tried the southern end of Champlain. Pretty nice pike plus walleye.
And God said "let there be FISH"

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2009, 04:43 AM »
  Have you tried the southern end of Champlain. Pretty nice pike plus walleye.
No,I always fish the islands.Dont know where to go in the southern end.I have never fished for walleye either,just a pike chaser.If you have any info on an area,or a place to stay im all ears.Thanks alot

Offline ice hole bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:15 PM »
my friends and I have had a good time with large pike in the southern part of champlain on the new york side. There is lodging at the motel 6 in Ticonderoga. There is a boat ramp near the ferry witch is only 5 min. from the motel.  :tipup:

Offline BrattleShack

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 31" 7 lb
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:58 AM »
Thanks alot much appreciated

Hey, if you're doing Southern VT then Brattleboro has good Pike on the Retreat Meadows both open and hard.  No monsters but it's a nice town with good scenery on the ice.  I'm renting shanties this winter and am about to activate BrattleboroOutdoors.co m which will be a sort of social hub for local outdoors activities along with info on rentals.

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2009, 07:37 AM »
Hey, if you're doing Southern VT then Brattleboro has good Pike on the Retreat Meadows both open and hard.  No monsters but it's a nice town with good scenery on the ice.  I'm renting shanties this winter and am about to activate BrattleboroOutdoors.co m which will be a sort of social hub for local outdoors activities along with info on rentals.

Let me know if you have any info on lodging.I have at least 10 guys.Thanks

Offline crappie_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2009, 01:57 PM »
Larry,.. I think the place you will have the best chance to get into the double digits is on Missisquoi Bay. Popular spot so it would be best during the week. Many of a double digit has been taken out of there. Maybe if you went towards the East Branch of the Missisquoi River would be a good spot.
Every man is perceived a wise man, until they speak

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2009, 02:07 PM »

Sounds like you could sponsor this board....  8)
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:23 PM »
Larry,.. I think the place you will have the best chance to get into the double digits is on Missisquoi Bay. Popular spot so it would be best during the week. Many of a double digit has been taken out of there. Maybe if you went towards the East Branch of the Missisquoi River would be a good spot.
Thanks alot for the info,it just gets real costly to go catch the same size fish i can catch at home.

Offline wallyjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:30 PM »
i have a shanty on retreat meadows. It is slow pike fishing but every year we always get at least one pike 15-20 lbs. Another place to check out is the setbacks they call the fingers in hinsdale,NH. About 20 minutes from retreat meadows. This is a setback on ct river. farther north in bellows falls you have herricks cove. Never caught pike there but at times decent jigging for perch. whites cove in springfield,VT is also good for jigging for perch. Some of the setbacks on the ct river have some decent fishing. Hope this helps.
God,guns, and guts made america free.

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2009, 05:24 AM »
i have a shanty on retreat meadows. It is slow pike fishing but every year we always get at least one pike 15-20 lbs. Another place to check out is the setbacks they call the fingers in hinsdale,NH. About 20 minutes from retreat meadows. This is a setback on ct river. farther north in bellows falls you have herricks cove. Never caught pike there but at times decent jigging for perch. whites cove in springfield,VT is also good for jigging for perch. Some of the setbacks on the ct river have some decent fishing. Hope this helps.
Any info helps Thanks

Offline BrattleShack

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 31" 7 lb
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2009, 03:09 PM »

Wally, have you fished Sunset Lake?  I'm thinking of putting a shanty up there.

Offline wallyjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2009, 12:50 PM »
I have never ice fished up there but i do know there are some real big largemouth bass up there. Not sure about the pike situation. Basically warmwater fish turf. Thats about all I can tell you. Try some of the setbacks off the ct river. Small or big they can surprise you If you are looking for lunker pike!
God,guns, and guts made america free.

Offline ndunbar27

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "if ya aint fishin then ya aint livin"
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Try st.  Catherine...last year my uncle caught a 42 incher out of there and it weight 21 pounds put up a hell of a fight...we target browns out of there and we almost always hit atleast 5 pike a piece on accidentals when fishing for browns....if you need a good spot send me a message and ill let you know of a few

Offline BrattleShack

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 31" 7 lb
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:30 PM »
I have never ice fished up there but i do know there are some real big largemouth bass up there. Not sure about the pike situation. Basically warmwater fish turf. Thats about all I can tell you. Try some of the setbacks off the ct river. Small or big they can surprise you If you are looking for lunker pike!

Wally, thanks for the info.  I hope to run into you on Retreat Meadows.  Look for the shanty with a truck cap on top of it.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2009, 06:31 AM »
Ive got a question about where the big pike are.Im not looking for anyones secret spot,just a little guidance.Ive been fishing champlain for about 8 years now,all up and down the islands.I have yet to find a fish over 12lbs. I know I have to put my time in but im 4 hours away.I stay somewhere different every year just to try a new spot,if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction it is much appreciated.Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving
Your home state catches more big pike than we do in VT by far.We have a few big pike waters and there are well known  but they only give up 2 or 3 a year.The ma guys catch 3 or 4 in a weekend.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:19 AM »
We keep a shanty at the sandbar in the Islands and seem to do very well every year. Every year we catch at least a 1/2 dozen over 10 lbs. Last year my biggest was 16lbs. We seem to get the bigger ones early ice and last ice. We usually are in less than 6' of water and run all our baits close to the ice. Good luck an dif your at the sandbar and see a huge white shanty stop in and say hi.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Bomoseen

I would stop going there ,that would solve that deal.

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.